Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 08:27 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Flu shots are for suckers. They're not very effective and they cause flu-like symptoms.
Oh, where did you get your degree in medicine?

Old 11-05-2014, 07:39 AM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times
I haven't had the flu in at least 20 years. Never had a flu shot either. Lucky? lol I have worked many years with little children in public schools who had the flu. Oh, if THEY had their flu shots they wouldn't give it to poor elderly ME?

Ever consider luck, or flu shots, has nothing to do with it? Maybe it is the same as with measles, mumps, chicken pox, etc.? Never been vax for those either, but I cannot get them AGAIN because I had those diseases. My immune system has antibodies against them, more so than your vax. Ever consider that maybe it is the same with the FLU for some of us? Oh, I forget it "changes" every year so you will need a DIFFERENT flu shot every year. Think of all $$$$$$$ they are making off you people.

Oh, and don't give me any Dr. Jenny crap. She is young enough to be my daughter.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:55 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,266,898 times
Quote:
Flu shots are for suckers. They're not very effective and they cause flu-like symptoms.
Not at all true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Oh, where did you get your degree in medicine?
The internet most likely.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:06 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,540,297 times
All you morons who got the "flu" after getting the flu shot.... what you experienced was your immune system reacting to the flu antigens in the vaccine and your immune system creating protective antibodies.

Ignore vaccinations at your own peril.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:12 AM

675 posts, read 1,256,493 times
As long as I'm not required by law to take any flu vaccinations that's all I care about

Old 11-05-2014, 08:48 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post

The internet most likely.
I know, I was being sarcastic.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:22 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,039,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
There should be no "debate" about the flu shot. They are safe for you. Period.

On the one hand, you have dozens upon dozens of published and peer-reviewed scientific studies that all have a consensus that the shot (and vaccines in general) are perfectly safe for you.

On the other hand, you have Jenny McCarthy and one study by Dr. Wakefield back in the '90s, which has been widely shown to be fraudulent, with data blatantly manipulated to reflect the views of the special interest group which was paying him. He has since been banned from practicing medicine.

I'm usually happy to see both sides of an argument, even if I don't agree with one of them. Flu shots and vaccine controversy, however, is not one of them. There isn't one shred of scientific evidence for anyone to be concerned.

This is the kind of scientific illiteracy that helps spread these viruses. That is simply not how a virus works. It could not care less about your organic, non processed lifestyle.

Read the disclosure if you think the flu shot is 100 percent safe. If it doesn't bother you, by all means get the shot. Plenty of people have no problems at all.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:26 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:

Well duh.

A vaccine primes your own immune system against the flu - by presenting it with flu antigens. The immune system reacts. The next time round it meets that flu (the whole active virus this time) - you're great. That's whats so amazing about vaccines - they are just switching on your own immune system to do the work.

Its not a chemical that fights the flu itself - its not an anti-viral.

Jeesus.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:16 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,181,559 times
Regarding Gardasil, it is only available to males and females between the ages of 9 to 26. It is effective in preventing women from getting cervical cancer and men and women from getting anal cancer (remember what killed Farrah Fawcett?). As the old saying goes, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

Seniors in particular should get a yearly flu shot and a one time pneumococcal vaccine shot. Seniors are less able to fight off the flu and each year 30,000+ die from complications of influenza.

Those old folks (over 60) who have had chicken pox should also get the zoster (shingles) vaccine.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:31 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,857 times
My new doctor made me get the flu shot. She said EVERYBODY should get one. At least ten years ago it was supposed to be for those at the most risk.

Whatever. I took it because I was already there and it was included in my copay that I had to pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness