Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 11:31 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,823,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Do you have any eye problems also?
I have eye problems....went and got prism lenses to correct my eyes to look at the same thing at the same time..I couldn't drive anymore without these glasses.. had no depth perception or couldn't see 3D.I have read too much salt can cause the ringing ..it doesn't matter what I do..it is always there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 12:43 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,029,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linda814 View Post
I have eye problems....went and got prism lenses to correct my eyes to look at the same thing at the same time..I couldn't drive anymore without these glasses.. had no depth perception or couldn't see 3D.I have read too much salt can cause the ringing ..it doesn't matter what I do..it is always there...
I said this because I seen a correlation between my symtoms of tinnitus and my eyesight. I also get doublevision and sometimes triple vision - mostly at the light sources - like car lights and street lamps at a distance - and clearer up close.

I went to an alternative doctor and he showed me that I had an inbalance with sodium and potassium and put me on a diet to correct it. As I have been on that is when I began noticing my symptoms improving. I was getting a bit desperate to get these problems resolved but making some progress but far from healed yet. I am not sticking to the plan as much as I should be (old habits are hard to break) plus I need to get to the store and get the right foods.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:46 PM

I care about this subject and wish we could get it resolved. Maybe we can start our own group or something and each of us dig up the research and find out what the correlations are and see where to go from there.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:42 PM

3,299 posts, read 3,024,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
The best tip I had when dealing with it came from a sport doctor my doctor knows. Besides muscle relaxers he said to use the hot ice treatment. Used by sports trainers for some years now. Basically you use a cube of ice and rub the effected area several times a day. Its called hot ice because that is what it feels like. It cured me and haven't had problem since after having it off and on for years.
On what area of your body did you rub the ice? On the outside of the ear? Inside the ear? I had understood that much of tinnitus is due to nerve damage and is a brain problem, not an ear problem, and I do not see how a topical cure could work in this case.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:44 PM

3,299 posts, read 3,024,923 times
I once tried ear candling. Strangely enough, the tinnitus went away for about three or four days. I went back for a second treatment, with no results.

My sister just tried magnesium supplements. She said it worked for a few hours, and then stop working.

Old 12-30-2014, 04:18 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
Yes I do have eye problems. Macular degeneration for which I have been getting monthly injections directly into both eyes for over 6 years.

I've done extensive research on tinnitus and I'm afraid all the so called cures are certainly not for everybody. There is a supplement advertised on TV -"9 out of 10 doctors recommend this" BS- which didn't do a thing for me.About the only thing I haven't tried is hearing aids which I really need. I simply don't know how to buy hearing aids without losing money if they don't work out. I tried about 10 years ago but the feedback was intolerable.

There is a great deal written about what a rip off ear candling is. Years ago we used to do it at home regularly for about 3 years on all family members. It certainly looks like you are getting a lot of stuff out of your ears but in reality all it is is the wax from the candle.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:40 AM

I'm curious - all of you that have tinitus - is your blood pressure normal or on the low side?

Old 12-30-2014, 09:54 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,344,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Yes I do have eye problems. Macular degeneration for which I have been getting monthly injections directly into both eyes for over 6 years.

I've done extensive research on tinnitus and I'm afraid all the so called cures are certainly not for everybody. There is a supplement advertised on TV -"9 out of 10 doctors recommend this" BS- which didn't do a thing for me.About the only thing I haven't tried is hearing aids which I really need. I simply don't know how to buy hearing aids without losing money if they don't work out. I tried about 10 years ago but the feedback was intolerable.

There is a great deal written about what a rip off ear candling is. Years ago we used to do it at home regularly for about 3 years on all family members. It certainly looks like you are getting a lot of stuff out of your ears but in reality all it is is the wax from the candle.
I just had my hearing tested yesterday and the doctor and I spoke about tinnitus and hearing aids. While I do not need a hearing aid, she said that in order for a hearing aid to work with tinnitus, they must be able to actually identify the noise level. Only if they get the noise level right, which is not easy, will a hearing aid help and/or eliminate tinnitus.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:34 AM

19,506 posts, read 9,534,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
I care about this subject and wish we could get it resolved. Maybe we can start our own group or something and each of us dig up the research and find out what the correlations are and see where to go from there.
I've had it off and on throughout the years as well. Sometimes not as bad as at other times. After my fall, rather 2 falls hitting back of head on cement porch (ice storm), the tinnitis has come back. Most of the time I get that high hiss (time to take the tea kettle off the burner) and/or combo of tones coming off from the right side. That doesn't happen very often. Only bad or rather annoying when someone comes over to talk to me from that side when that happens, and I have to ask them to repeat what they said.
I'm sure that doesn't make them very happy to repeat themselves to me.

It's a combo of factors, for me, anyways -> fall/s [see previous paragraph], loud music (concerts)/workplace environment (machines) = some decibel hearing loss, cut back big time on sodium (heart/hbp at times over 140/90), and sluggish thryroid (hypothyroidism). Lipaderm (sp?) only works at times but not all the time and when it does, it's not like it goes away entirely. Lack of sleep on weekdays? Sometimes. I often have Mr C leave tv on [sets timer] and hopefully I can fall asleep before the timer shuts it off. Have variable sets of "white noise" that I can listen to as well.

Think some areas have support groups for various health issues, altho most get togethers, are weekdays before I get home from work.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
I've had it off and on throughout the years as well. Sometimes not as bad as at other times. After my fall, rather 2 falls hitting back of head on cement porch (ice storm), the tinnitis has come back. Most of the time I get that high hiss (time to take the tea kettle off the burner) and/or combo of tones coming off from the right side. That doesn't happen very often. Only bad or rather annoying when someone comes over to talk to me from that side when that happens, and I have to ask them to repeat what they said.
I'm sure that doesn't make them very happy to repeat themselves to me.

It's a combo of factors, for me, anyways -> fall/s [see previous paragraph], loud music (concerts)/workplace environment (machines) = some decibel hearing loss, cut back big time on sodium (heart/hbp at times over 140/90), and sluggish thryroid (hypothyroidism). Lipaderm (sp?) only works at times but not all the time and when it does, it's not like it goes away entirely. Lack of sleep on weekdays? Sometimes. I often have Mr C leave tv on [sets timer] and hopefully I can fall asleep before the timer shuts it off. Have variable sets of "white noise" that I can listen to as well.

Think some areas have support groups for various health issues, altho most get togethers, are weekdays before I get home from work.
Interesting. This is the stuff that could help. I noticed you mentioned that you cut out sodium but in my case this is what actually changed for me as I added sodium. My sodium was low - not based on blood but on tissue analysis. My BP is normal or <140/90. My potassium is high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness