Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 10:42 AM

419 posts, read 2,021,110 times

Advertisements

Since I turned 50 years old I have really started to notice how old I am. I know the media tries to tell us that 50 is the new 40 (telling us that people who are 50 look, feel and act younger than ever before). I strongly disagree. I say 50 is the new 70. More and more people who are 50 are talking about retirement and are likely the oldest person in the office if they survive the age discrimination. Very few of us baby boomers are on TV. If you are an actor or model or newscaster or anyone on TV it is likely you will be replaced by someone younger who attracts a younger audience.

There are few movies or TV shows for people over 50, everything is for younger people. The people in management positions at work are younger every day as companies try to match their workforce with the younger group and save money. They tell us we are ugly if we have grey or balding hair and wrinkles. Never before has there been so many products for people to try to make them look younger. The media tells us we have to look 10 years younger and we should never look old.

How can someone 50 years old have any mental or physical health in today's society?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 01:09 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,994,649 times
I'm sorry you feel that way.I'm 51 and I feel GREAT! I do feel like I'm 40 or less! I have always taken care of myself,and I am especially aware of doing so now.I eat healthy,run, walk and exercise.I weigh now what I weighed in high school,never deviating by more than alittle.I believe age is truely a state of mind.I do not think of myself as old and I never act or speak like I'm old.I never use the excuse that I just hate,"I'm too old to do that". I am retired,but only because I have 3 young children.I had a wonderful,fulfilling career for 27 years.Now my 39 year old husband works and supports me,as I did for him when he was just starting out.Anyone can have mental and physical health at any age.It takes work.I do not ever plan to just roll over and give up because I turned 60,65,75 or whatever.Yes,I do color my hair,I use good skin products,I like to dress well.It's all about the attitude.You can turn it around! 50 is young!!! I plan to live to 100, so I have to work for it! Good luck to you!

Old 01-03-2008, 04:45 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,553,474 times
I don't know what the hell you are talking about. I think you have it backwards. 70 is the new 50! My husband is 56 (quite a bit older than I am) and he is hotter than all get out. We are very active, get out and go, stay in and snuggle. He enjoys a wonderfully active career. He dresses well, has an up to date haircut, and stays abreast of news and economic issues. We don't watch a ton of TV but there are some great shows like Boston Legal, Brothers and Sisters, etc. that we enjoy watching. I agree with the PP, attitude is everything!

Old 01-03-2008, 04:57 PM

7,573 posts, read 10,631,224 times
I have to agree. I chalk some of it up to genes, but the rest is some work, attitude, and feeling good about yourself. Sure, we'd all like to turn the clock back a bit if we could, anyone that says they wouldn't is probably not being honest, but we can't, and we need to be the best we can be at any age. We're all getting older, even the 25 year old at the office is dealing with the fact he or she is turning 30 in a few years! Life is way too short...enjoy!

Old 01-03-2008, 06:07 PM

419 posts, read 2,021,110 times
Society tells us we are nothing. We may try to feel good about ourselves but the media, advertisers, popular culture and employers tells us middle aged people are nothing. 50 is the new 70!

Old 01-03-2008, 06:26 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,627,689 times
Well, I'm only 46, so maybe it'll suddenly hit me, when I turn 50, but I doubt it! I don't give it much thought about getting older. I can't turn back the clock, so I don't worry about it. Growing older is a part of life, but I don't have to get old, in the process. I enjoyed my teens, twenties, and thirties, but I'm enjoying being in my forties, just as much, but for different reasons. I look at it this way: getting older is better than the alternative!

Old 01-03-2008, 08:14 PM

7,573 posts, read 10,631,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
Society tells us we are nothing. We may try to feel good about ourselves but the media, advertisers, popular culture and employers tells us middle aged people are nothing. 50 is the new 70!
Well, in my opinion, that is all superficial. Sure, its nice to look at a young beautiful face but when I see a woman or a man, clearly well into their 40's and beyond looking fabulous, that, to me is more beautiful than any good looking 20 year old. It is easy to be beautiful when your young. If you feel good about yourself, then the media, nor anyone else for that matter can make you feel any differently. If your feeling less than beautiful, then that comes from within...and believe me, when your feeling great, it shows. IMHO

Old 01-03-2008, 08:47 PM

8,999 posts, read 20,422,396 times
Well, my wife is 60 and I will be 59 in a few months AND both of us, sometimes definitely feel our age. That is one reason why we recently moved from the cold/snowy winters of the Denver, CO area to "mild" winters of North Carolina. Our bones and muscles could really "feel" the cold air there. Besides that, I had a hip replacement in 2005 and a shoulder surgery (3 completely tendons) from a fall in ice/snow by our house in December of 2006
We both use hair coloring and have a few extra pounds on us.....love to eat the "meat and taters", plus a piece of pie/cake or a donut at times.
Now, how do we act? A lot of times we act and play around like we are teenagers. But, as far as "age only being a state of mind".......we definitely DON'T THINK SO. There are things we just can not do anymore due to our age and physical limitations (my hip/shoulder and wife's asthma/allergies).

Old 01-03-2008, 08:50 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,083,711 times
I'm starting to believe that 43 is the new 15!!!

Old 01-03-2008, 08:58 PM

23,026 posts, read 34,431,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
I'm sorry you feel that way.I'm 51 and I feel GREAT! I do feel like I'm 40 or less! I have always taken care of myself,and I am especially aware of doing so now.I eat healthy,run, walk and exercise.I weigh now what I weighed in high school,never deviating by more than alittle.I believe age is truely a state of mind.I do not think of myself as old and I never act or speak like I'm old.I never use the excuse that I just hate,"I'm too old to do that". I am retired,but only because I have 3 young children.I had a wonderful,fulfilling career for 27 years.Now my 39 year old husband works and supports me,as I did for him when he was just starting out.Anyone can have mental and physical health at any age.It takes work.I do not ever plan to just roll over and give up because I turned 60,65,75 or whatever.Yes,I do color my hair,I use good skin products,I like to dress well.It's all about the attitude.You can turn it around! 50 is young!!! I plan to live to 100, so I have to work for it! Good luck to you!
I agree with you 100%! I'm 53 and I feel GREAT too! Age is just a number. My husband will turn 60 this year and he is still going strong and look'n hot
I also color my hair and take care of my self. In fact I weigh less now than I did in high school and I think I even look better now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness