Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 07:16 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,606,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I remember getting my shot when I was a kid and sure didn't like the shot or shots.

Anyone born before 1978, but especially those born prior to 1958, may want to get a vaccination.

Since unvaccinated children spreading measles seem to constitute most of the buzz on the recent outbreak of the virus, there’s a fact that’s getting lost in the shuffle: The majority of those infected are actually adults.

https://www.yahoo.com/health/why-man...178537592.html
There is a reason above your post there is a sticky saying "no pro vaccine/anti vaccine threads on here" from the mod. They just become ladened with trolls and end up getting the ax. Maybe vaccine discussions need their own sub forum so people can just continue to argue about the same crap over and over again on there instead of clogging up all the other threads. Everytime one pops up the mod can just move it on over to the vaccine battle ground. That way, instead of hunting around, serveral people on cd will have a place to call home and settle down.
Controversial Topics Such as Pro-Cons of Vaccines Do Not Belong Here

Old 02-09-2015, 07:25 AM

166 posts, read 370,326 times
Such threads give me a very good laugh as so much misinformation floats around and the media trumps the misinformation, folks believe it as gospel and start arguing on it.

While vaccination has helped eradicating some of the diseases, vaccinations never guarantee immunization. Then those vaccine proponents start barking at anti-vaxxers without knowing they are also responsible for outbreaks, partly, if not completely. Just for the record, I am not taking any sides, neither proponents nor opponents. Vaccinations helped along with our cleanliness. We are much more cleaner now than our forefathers.

What irks me though, spread of misinformation. If you follow money trail, its not that difficult to find who is trumping and why. Majority of the media sings this vaccination tune, most likely because the companies pay through their advertisements (check prime time commercials on the TV). As a kid, I have gotten boat loads of vaccines, including MMR, chickenpox, still I have gotten Measles, Mumps and Chickenpox. None of these diseases deadly but the media does a great job at fear mongering that you are going to die much faster than Ebola. Last death out of Measles was in 2003. Email CDC if you don't believe it.

BTW,
to the poster who talks about 3rd world country, get your facts fixed before you make a fool of yourself. Majority of 3rd world countries are far better vaccinated than us, because we 'donate' those vaccines.
to the poster who tells us that Autism is genetically linked, everyone thought so until this came out.

Bottomline, everyone needs to open their eyes, instead of just listening to pharma companies blindly. Follow the money. If the vaccines are beneficial or not, that is whole different topic than listening to the fear mongering, money hungry media.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:28 AM

10,234 posts, read 6,322,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
There is a reason above your post there is a sticky saying "no pro vaccine/anti vaccine threads on here" from the mod. They just become ladened with trolls and end up getting the ax. Maybe vaccine discussions need their own sub forum so people can just continue to argue about the same crap over and over again on there instead of clogging up all the other threads. Everytime one pops up the mod can just move it on over to the vaccine battle ground. That way, instead of hunting around, serveral people on cd will have a place to call home and settle down.
Controversial Topics Such as Pro-Cons of Vaccines Do Not Belong Here
In general good, but with the measles outbreak it tends to fall under more a current events topic. Of course with any "epidemic" the issue of vaccination is unavoidable.

Eventually, it will fade away as did the flu epidemic.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:58 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I was born in 1953 and I have had both types of measles, so I believe I am safe.

Haven't most people in my age group had the measles already?

Had the German, or 3 day measles, when I was an infant, had the other kind when I was 7. Had to stay home from school but didn't feel sick, so I wanted to go outside to play.

I remember my mom called the doctor and he said I could go outside as long as I wore sunglasses.

So, for me, having the measles was like a vacation, LOL.

I had to stay in my bedroom, with shades drawn, and no TV

Old 02-09-2015, 07:59 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,606,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
In general good, but with the measles outbreak it tends to fall under more a current events topic. Of course with any "epidemic" the issue of vaccination is unavoidable.

Eventually, it will fade away as did the flu epidemic.
I know Jo, but now, especially now that it's turned political, it's just a barking thread topic. It's reminds me of the illegal immigration topic. Finally they gave illegal immigration a home to rid it from regular threads and all the fighting. Since, regardless of what we do there will be outbreaks of disease in our country it's just a matter of time till the pits start. So I think they deserve their own home. That way they can have a home for good.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:55 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,609,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Where would a one day old baby get hepatitis? Dirty needles. They are given that Vitamin K shot after birth. Risk of a dirty needle. Hospital is covering themselves.

Same with adults on IV in hospitals. Risk of a contaminated needle in a hospital. They say the same vax is needed for adults who have been in the hospital on an IV.

Made me see the connection. Thanks.
Their sainted mother is the usual vector. Interestingly enough, hospitals tend not to reuse needles. However, most people at low risk of Hep B decline the vax for a newborn, and many don't do the series until the child's going to school, preschool or childcare.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:54 AM

983 posts, read 995,605 times
If there is a nurse out there, can someone answer this?

Born in 1964, got all childhood immunizations. 1980s, joined military, got all immunizations again. Got pertussis vaccine about 4 years ago. I need a new tetnus, I'll get it soon.

Generally, am I good?

Old 02-09-2015, 10:04 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
I thought all of us old people already had the measles, chickenpox and mumps. I've had them all. I was born in 1957.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:31 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,670,347 times
I recall having the measles more than once but my DH doesn't recall having it. So, I called our doctor who said that until Medicare decides to pay for it we can go to a travel clinic to get the vaccine. My guess is that there probably isn't enough profit in it at our senior health clinic for them to be bothered.

Here in the Bay Area the inbound immigration from foreign countries is higher than the outbound domestic numbers so it is no surprise that we are the ones being infected at the highest rate. Many are here for free health care so they bring a lot a lot with them.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:48 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
I recall having the measles more than once but my DH doesn't recall having it. So, I called our doctor who said that until Medicare decides to pay for it we can go to a travel clinic to get the vaccine. My guess is that there probably isn't enough profit in it at our senior health clinic for them to be bothered.

Here in the Bay Area the inbound immigration from foreign countries is higher than the outbound domestic numbers so it is no surprise that we are the ones being infected at the highest rate. Many are here for free health care so they bring a lot a lot with them.
As stated several times already - most immigrants - legal and illegal - have already been vaccinated in their own countries. The measles has come to an Amish community, because the Amish routinely do NOT vaccinate, and some of them went oversees for missionary work and brought the disease back with them. That's born and raised Americans, whose families were probably already Americans before your ancestors came to this country.

So far, all the clusters found nationwide can be attributed to unvaccinated and undervaccinated communities IN the USA, and exposure to the disease by UNvaccinated Americans who went overseas and brought the measles with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness