Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 12:30 PM

18,383 posts, read 19,015,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Face it, D, you're not ready to quit. Until you get your mind right, you might as well stop torturing yourself and just keep smoking. If you really wanted to quit, there wouldn't be "anything smokable" lying around.

Come back when you're ready and we'll be here.
no one is ever really "ready to quit" when you are addicted. you just make the choice to try.

to the op
education is the key so you know what to expect when your body and mind go through withdrawal. you are better able to handle the emotions when you know what to expect. having tools at your disposal will help get you through.

as you said get rid of all the smokables in the house. clean up your car ashtray and anything other place you smoke. get a nicotine patch or some nic gum. have lots of water on hand. a toothpick to chew on is good. I "smoked" straws cut in half, you can "inhale" them, they are the same size as a smoke, you can tap them twirl them even chew on the ends. some hard candy is good. get out of the house and do things to keep your mind active. look forward to when you will be free of your addiction. do not give in to junkie thinking. celebrate everyday you go without smoking. reward yourself. join an on line no smoking forum for support. they really do help a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 12:35 PM

1,400 posts, read 765,598 times
Ask yourself the question "What has cigarette smoking ever done for me?" You will want to add your own thoughts to this list, but maybe write it down, and say the answers out loud. There's something about hearing your own voice tell the truth that has power in it.

Question: What has cigarette smoking ever done for me?

Answers: They have stolen my money. Get a calculator and figure out approximately how much.
They have stained my teeth.
They smell bad, made my breath smell bad, make my clothes smell bad, make my house smell bad
They threaten to kill me or make me sick with all kinds of painful, incurable diseases

Think of cigarettes as the enemy, which they are. If you start thinking about it and saying these things out loud, soon you will WANT to stop. You are a smart person, just change your mind. It's easy to quit doing something you don't want to do. Hope this helps.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:59 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,786,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy739 View Post
Ask yourself the question "What has cigarette smoking ever done for me?" You will want to add your own thoughts to this list, but maybe write it down, and say the answers out loud. There's something about hearing your own voice tell the truth that has power in it.

Answers: They have stolen my money. Get a calculator and figure out approximately how much.
They smell bad, made my breath smell bad, make my clothes smell bad, make my house smell bad
They threaten to kill me or make me sick with all kinds of painful, incurable diseases

Think of cigarettes as the enemy, which they are. If you start thinking about it and saying these things out loud, soon you will WANT to stop. You are a smart person, just change your mind. It's easy to quit doing something you don't want to do. Hope this helps.
I don't think this approach is really effective. "What has cigarette smoking ever done for me?" It's been a friend when I was lonely; made me feel included when I was out back smoking with the gang. I believe any addiction prevents you from thinking logically and with common sense. In my case, my college training involved cadavers with tarred lungs and it still took me 6 years to consider quitting AND I knew better.

I think quitting is truly personal. A future non-smoker has to evaluate what he can gain from not smoking tomorrow, not 10 years from now and use that image to get past the daily hump until it's not a mountain but a mole hill. When I saw material of people suffering the effects of nicotine addiction I didn't personalize it to me. My thinking was, "it sucks to be them." What got me serious was me wanting to have children and not die on them. Another motivator for me was knowing that destroying my lungs with a result of emphysema is a horrible way to die. I've been told by a person who depends on an oxygen tank that every breath she takes feels like she's fighting for her last breath.

So I say to those who have the desire to quit but no willpower is to dig deep and find your reason. Ignore people who judge you and don't understand why you just can't stop.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:13 PM

266 posts, read 281,381 times
I smoked 3 to 4 packs of Camels a day for almost 20 years. Tried half ass several times. Met my future wife who didn't care for the smell.

I promised her I would quit for her wedding present. Never smoked them again. Kept open packs in my desk and in my car to prove to myself I could do it. Two weeks of being really dizzy and then desire gone.

In my opinion, cold turkey is the best way to finally quit. But you HAVE TO WANT TO.

Being up front - I do enjoy an occasional premium cigar.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:14 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,426,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmajco View Post
Yesterday i bought my first e-cigarette and i hope that that will be the right choice for quit smoking.
I listen that smoking e-cigarette can help smoking tobacco so why to don't try

I switched to ultra lights first, to me the processes of smoking is a bad habit that has been established over 20+ years. And the nicotine addiction. So First I am attempting to remove nicotine, e-cigarets have nicotine in them.

I switched to ultra lights, then I reduced the 1 carton a week to 1 pack a week (where I am now). I smoked 3 ultra light cigarettes yesterday, and none today (yet).

E-cigarette can give you more nicotine then a regular cigarette (nicotine is the addicting part of the cigarette)

Ordered online Ginseng cigarettes, no tobacco and no nicotine. Trying to break the habit by attacking it from every angle.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy739 View Post

A cigarette has been a loyal and reliable friend over the years.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:34 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
A cigarette has been a loyal and reliable friend over the years.[/quote
How do you quit smoking?

First of all you get rid of the silly idea that cigarettes are reliable friends.
They will ultimately prematurely kill you and probably not very nicely,they stimulate that part of your brain that keeps you coming back for more making you a veritable slave to the product.
You are a nicotine addict and as such it wont be easy to do what is required to just stop,theres no better day in the future that will make giving up any easier, right now is the time to give it up,just dont ever smoke that next cigarette.
Me thinks you are a long way from having the attitude needed to give up smoking and will probably end up being a life long smoker.

Last edited by jambo101; 04-28-2015 at 02:50 PM..

Old 04-28-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
I switched to ultra lights first, to me the processes of smoking is a bad habit that has been established over 20+ years. And the nicotine addiction. So First I am attempting to remove nicotine, e-cigarets have nicotine in them.

I switched to ultra lights, then I reduced the 1 carton a week to 1 pack a week (where I am now). I smoked 3 ultra light cigarettes yesterday, and none today (yet).

E-cigarette can give you more nicotine then a regular cigarette (nicotine is the addicting part of the cigarette)

Ordered online Ginseng cigarettes, no tobacco and no nicotine. Trying to break the habit by attacking it from every angle.
if you are only smoking 3 smokes a day you do not have much nicotine in your system. smoke your straw and put down the smokes.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
if you are only smoking 3 smokes a day you do not have much nicotine in your system. smoke your straw and put down the smokes.

I made a hole with a coffee straw inside a baby carrot. so I walk around smoking a carrot and saying "what up duck ?"

Old 04-28-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
I made a hole with a coffee straw inside a baby carrot. so I walk around smoking a carrot and saying "what up duck ?"
anything that works is good! it just takes several weeks of being stubborn to any cravings to get past it. everyday you don't smoke or have puffs it gets better. there does come a day when having a smoke is no longer on your mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness