Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 07:49 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,944,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by House4kids View Post
Acyclovir

Great medication. Knocks out a cold sore in no time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 01:22 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
Abreva works, but if you don't want to spent $17, try an asprin. Just get a plain, uncoated asprin, wet it and hold against the sore until it dissolves. Do that every night, it cleared up mine in a few days, and a small bottle of plain asprin costs about $1.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:44 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,738,390 times
Stress, sun, foods that are high in arginine (amino acid), illness can all bring out cold sores.

L-Lysine helps suppress them because it also suppresses arginine, which is like food for cold sores. It works as good as any prescription medicine for cold sores.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:09 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,956,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by House4kids View Post
I used to get them so badly I have Rx cream for them. Same cream I used when I had Shingles. Acyclovir
Cold sores are cause by the Herpes virus. No, not the nasty kind, a different strain that only affects your lips. There is only one way you can get them; by transmission from another person via some form of close physical contact. Kissing is the most common way. However, it's difficult to pinpoint who may have given them to you because they can incubate in your body without causing symptoms for years. And once you have the virus in your body, it's there for life. Stress and reduced immune function, like having the flu, does tend to make them reveal themselves. I have cold sores myself. I developed this condition after kissing my girlfriend many years ago. Ironically, my girlfriend passed away in 2007 but I still get the cold sores

I took Acyclovir for years when I had them often. After that, I quit taking it because I take a lot of required meds and that one isn't really necessary. Acyclovir is more useful to take as a maintenance drug twice a day. It works great, and it prevents outbreaks completely. It's not worth it to take it all the time unless you have a lot of outbreaks, IMO. Now when I feel an outbreak coming on, I take Valtrex. Those are gigantic horse pills and you take a total of four pills, two at a time, morning and evening. That's it. It works better if you take it as soon as you feel the cold sore come on, before the outbreak is full blown.

You may have heard of that ointment called Abreva. I have tried that a few times, and I've found it to be a waste of money, and it's expensive, around $20. It doesn't do anything to shorten the length of the outbreak, despite all the advertising hoopla surrounding the product. Valtrex is much better and on my insurance, it's also a lot cheaper than the Abreva. Whatever you do, don't pick at the cold sores. It makes them heal more slowly and spreads the viral particles. And keep your lips moisturized with a killer lip balm to reduce discomfort. I recommend Blistex Medicated in the light brown tube.

Old 05-07-2015, 12:39 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Cold sores are cause by the Herpes virus. No, not the nasty kind, a different strain that only affects your lips. There is only one way you can get them; by transmission from another person via some form of close physical contact. Kissing is the most common way. However, it's difficult to pinpoint who may have given them to you because they can incubate in your body without causing symptoms for years. And once you have the virus in your body, it's there for life. Stress and reduced immune function, like having the flu, does tend to make them reveal themselves. I have cold sores myself. I developed this condition after kissing my girlfriend many years ago. Ironically, my girlfriend passed away in 2007 but I still get the cold sores

I took Acyclovir for years when I had them often. After that, I quit taking it because I take a lot of required meds and that one isn't really necessary. Acyclovir is more useful to take as a maintenance drug twice a day. It works great, and it prevents outbreaks completely. It's not worth it to take it all the time unless you have a lot of outbreaks, IMO. Now when I feel an outbreak coming on, I take Valtrex. Those are gigantic horse pills and you take a total of four pills, two at a time, morning and evening. That's it. It works better if you take it as soon as you feel the cold sore come on, before the outbreak is full blown.

You may have heard of that ointment called Abreva. I have tried that a few times, and I've found it to be a waste of money, and it's expensive, around $20. It doesn't do anything to shorten the length of the outbreak, despite all the advertising hoopla surrounding the product. Valtrex is much better and on my insurance, it's also a lot cheaper than the Abreva. Whatever you do, don't pick at the cold sores. It makes them heal more slowly and spreads the viral particles. And keep your lips moisturized with a killer lip balm to reduce discomfort. I recommend Blistex Medicated in the light brown tube.
Actually the cold sore virus can affect the genitals, transmitted via well...I'm sure you can guess, often gives a milder case than the strain more commonly associated with genital herpes.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:09 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Actually the cold sore virus can affect the genitals, transmitted via well...I'm sure you can guess, often gives a milder case than the strain more commonly associated with genital herpes.
And, from the same ... activity ... the genital type can cause oral cold sores. It appears to account for 10 to 15% of herpes labialis cases.

Fifty percent of new cases of genital herpes are type 1, usually associated with cold sores.

https://drjengunter.wordpress.com/20...-1-and-type-2/

I agree with using Valtrex or another oral med. Started at the first tingle to suggest a cold sore, it can actually prevent the sore from forming.

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 05-07-2015 at 02:35 PM..

Old 05-07-2015, 02:52 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,956,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Cross transmission is uncommon, but it does happen. Genital herpes and cold sore herpes are two different strains: HSV I and II. HSV-I is the strain which causes cold sores. HSV-II causes genital herpes. You can be blood tested to determine for sure if you have one strain and/or the other as well. In any event, avoid close contact with loved ones during outbreaks OP, because the virus is quite contagious.

Old 05-09-2015, 09:08 PM

609 posts, read 615,372 times
I'm pretty positive they recently figured out that hsv1 and hsv2 can be on any part of your body. So to say "I have hsv1" doesn't mean much. It makes more sense to say "I have herpes on x or y part of my body."
But most people aren't very educated on this topic in general. I don't understand why. If almost everyone carries the virus...

Old 05-09-2015, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Cross transmission is uncommon, but it does happen. Genital herpes and cold sore herpes are two different strains: HSV I and II. HSV-I is the strain which causes cold sores. HSV-II causes genital herpes. You can be blood tested to determine for sure if you have one strain and/or the other as well. In any event, avoid close contact with loved ones during outbreaks OP, because the virus is quite contagious.
If 50 percent of new genital herpes cases are type 1, that makes the two equally common. And if 10 to 25 percent of cold sores are type 2, that is fairly common.

Folks need to be aware that the virus can be transmitted even in the absence of symptoms, too.

Old 05-09-2015, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseLikeAnyOther View Post
I'm pretty positive they recently figured out that hsv1 and hsv2 can be on any part of your body. So to say "I have hsv1" doesn't mean much. It makes more sense to say "I have herpes on x or y part of my body."
But most people aren't very educated on this topic in general. I don't understand why. If almost everyone carries the virus...
The reason to type the virus is that recurrences with type 1 tend to be less frequent. That can help patients know what to expect and guide treatment decisions.

Up to 90% of people have type 1. Many may have only one outbreak with it. The number infected with type 2 is smaller.

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 05-09-2015 at 11:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness