Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 09:18 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I've been talking medication ever since getting a scary reading of 170/95 three weeks ago. I blew it off until I got a pretty bad headache and the doctors checked my BP at 157/90, down from when the paramedics checked it at 162/92. I've been on 5mg Enalapril for three days plus taking a healthy mix of garlic, fish oil and multivitamins. I cut out caffeine and incorporated some mild exercise like walking on a track for an hour. I'm not overweight by much, maybe I could stand to lose ten to fifteen pounds. I'm only 31 so that makes me wonder if my BP could be anxiety related.

Now here's the thing that's puzzling me. I checked my BP this morning and it was at 134/93. I was happy it went down but being the anxious fellow that I am I checked it three more times. Each time the reading went up: 134/93
137/91
143/92. The final reading was 145/99. I admit that each time I was nervous to see if the pills were working. Once I saw the third reading I was a bit bummed out and stressed that perhaps I have renal artery blockage or something. The doc told me my blood work was a good indicator that I did not have it and if my BP responded at all to medication then I was fine. But by these numbers would you guys say its responding?

Why would they vary that much? I should note that Ive been taking a pill every night for the last three nights before bed. I check the BP in the morning after the med has proly worn off, idk.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 09:58 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,948,599 times
Blood pressure goes up and down throughout the day. And yes, getting agitated or nervous affects blood pressure, which is why it is often higher in the Dr. office. Many at home blood pressure units have a feature that can average your BP over a space of time - usually a week. My advice is to take it at the same time each day - only once - and average it after the end of a week. If it is in normal range, relax.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Blood pressure goes up and down throughout the day. And yes, getting agitated or nervous affects blood pressure, which is why it is often higher in the Dr. office. Many at home blood pressure units have a feature that can average your BP over a space of time - usually a week. My advice is to take it at the same time each day - only once - and average it after the end of a week. If it is in normal range, relax.
Which BP measure seems the most accurate? Is it the first one I took first thing in the morning; 134/93? Or the last one which was the highest?

The first one I was proly the most calm. So if it all registers that low, does that mean BP meds are helping? I mean 134-137/90, is a big improvement from 160-70! Just the fact that it could get that low makes me feel positive about things. Does it mean something?

Last edited by radiolibre99; 05-18-2015 at 11:23 AM..

Old 05-18-2015, 11:51 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
You need to give your body a little more than three days to adjust to the medication, the supplements and the vitamins. It sounds like you're on the right path, but don't worry so much if there's not a big difference in the first couple of days.

One thing you can do to make sure your home blood pressure cuff is accurate is to take it to the doctor's office with you and check your BP with your cuff right after the nurse checks your BP.

Walking is not a bad exercise but you have to walk pretty fast to really benefit from it. As far as your weight or anxiety causing the high BP, usually BP that goes up from anxiety doesn't stay high all the time, just goes up during stressful times. For example, my BP at home is usually 110/70, but at the doctor's office sometimes it's 150/90...I check it once I've been home for a few hours and it's back to normal. Since you're not very overweight, that's probably not much of a cause. What about family history? Some health conditions are hereditary and there's not much we can do for them except be glad that there are meds for them.

Old 05-18-2015, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
You need to give your body a little more than three days to adjust to the medication, the supplements and the vitamins. It sounds like you're on the right path, but don't worry so much if there's not a big difference in the first couple of days.

One thing you can do to make sure your home blood pressure cuff is accurate is to take it to the doctor's office with you and check your BP with your cuff right after the nurse checks your BP.

Walking is not a bad exercise but you have to walk pretty fast to really benefit from it. As far as your weight or anxiety causing the high BP, usually BP that goes up from anxiety doesn't stay high all the time, just goes up during stressful times. For example, my BP at home is usually 110/70, but at the doctor's office sometimes it's 150/90...I check it once I've been home for a few hours and it's back to normal. Since you're not very overweight, that's probably not much of a cause. What about family history? Some health conditions are hereditary and there's not much we can do for them except be glad that there are meds for them.
I think its hereditary. My family has a history with high BP. I'm sure anxiety factors in just a little bit. I know stress might be a bigger factor since I deal with that a lot.

I'm going to give it more than three days of course I was just wondering if it reaching a low BP is good? Seeing the BP drop from where I was to even in the high 130s seems like a positive step. I just want to know if that actually means something or is it a fluke. I mean if there was a serious medical issue like renal stenosis, the BP wouldn't even drop like that would it?

Old 05-18-2015, 01:28 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
OP how much salt are you using. Salt raised BP substantially.
Check this site out...Blood Pressure : Salt's effects on your body

Here is a detailed BP chart for you to check out...Blood Pressure : Blood pressure chart

Old 05-18-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
OP how much salt are you using. Salt raised BP substantially.
Check this site out...Blood Pressure : Salt's effects on your body

Here is a detailed BP chart for you to check out...Blood Pressure : Blood pressure chart
I could afford to stop eating deli meats and pickles. Otherwise my salt intake has markedly deceased. Before my scare I used to eat whatever I wanted. Salty salty Mexican food, alcohol, just a **** poor diet.

All I'm wondering is if a drop in BP from a highness of 160 is good? It's steadied at 137-145/90-95. I know those numbers are still high for a guy my age but I'm just specifically talking about the drop.

Also which number is more important the top or bottom number? The bottom number has stayed high with the lowest it's been at 87.

Old 05-18-2015, 04:19 PM

Anyone?

Old 05-18-2015, 10:46 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Anyone?
Your answers are here...What Do My Numbers Mean? Blood Pressure Readings Explained

Old 05-18-2015, 10:53 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Which BP measure seems the most accurate? Is it the first one I took first thing in the morning; 134/93? Or the last one which was the highest?

The first one I was proly the most calm. So if it all registers that low, does that mean BP meds are helping? I mean 134-137/90, is a big improvement from 160-70! Just the fact that it could get that low makes me feel positive about things. Does it mean something?

They are all accurate for that moment in the day. Different things that happen throughout the day influence blood pressure that falls and rises normally.

Take the blood pressure one time in the morning after getting up but before eating or drinking.
Write it down.
Take your medicine.
You need to have a baseline to see what is "normal" for you when you wake. That will give your Physician a better idea of how to proceed with your medication as to dosage and type.
It can take six months to get the dosage or medication right for blood pressure.

You should also speak with your Physician about the vitamins and supplements you take as well as check with any food related issues and your medication.
I cannot eat Grapefruit or anything with Grapefruit in it because it negates the effectiveness of one of the medications I take daily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness