Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 11:57 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times

Advertisements

Why is lactose free milk so much sweeter tasting than regular milk? Do they add sugar to it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 12:25 PM

54 posts, read 333,469 times
no dident
LFD for patient sensetive to lactose

Old 01-22-2008, 02:04 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahir View Post
no dident
LFD for patient sensetive to lactose
Sorry, I don't understand the lingo. What is dident? LFD?

thanks.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:48 AM

131 posts, read 312,843 times
Im lactose intolerent, well used to be, more so than I am now (I have kind of grown out of it somehow :S). Try drinking goats milk. At first if you are used to drinking cows milk it tastes a little strange but once you get used to it its fine (and cows milk then becomes strange tasting).
Goats milk is not very nice in cups of tea though. For that I used to have soya milk which can be bought sweetend or unsweetend. ( i didnt find it very nice to just drink though)

Old 01-26-2008, 03:32 PM

746 posts, read 3,499,662 times
My Dairy Ease Fat Free Milk is Lactose Free, and has the following ingredients on the label: Fat Free Milk, Lactase Enzyme, Potassium Chloride, Vitamin A Palmitate and Vitamin D3.

So it appears that lactose free milk has the natural enzyme lactase added.

Lactase breaks down the milk-sugar lactose into the more easily digestible sugars galactose and glucose. The lactase the dairies add is similar to the lactase created by the body during normal digestion of dairy products. After the lactose is broken down to galactose and glucose, the milk is sometimes perceived as having a slightly sweeter flavor profile.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:03 AM

244 posts, read 235,706 times
I just checked my calorie app and it said that regular whole milk has 12 grams of carbs and lactose free whole milk has 13 grams of carbs. If lactose is a form of sugar, why to carbs increase when you remove it?

Old 06-12-2017, 10:36 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
I thought sugar was added to all dairy milks. I don't use them and use goat milk yogurt for some calcium support and I like it and hard goat cheeses. There is a whole industry of raw milk drinking people. We humans are the only living beings who drink milk after weaned from mothers. I avoid soy as it's damaging to thyroid for one thing, and use coconut milks and almond milks for when I need milk for my morning coffee...some times I add some of these milks to the soups I make.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:43 AM

244 posts, read 235,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I thought sugar was added to all dairy milks. I don't use them and use goat milk yogurt for some calcium support and I like it and hard goat cheeses. There is a whole industry of raw milk drinking people. We humans are the only living beings who drink milk after weaned from mothers. I avoid soy as it's damaging to thyroid for one thing, and use coconut milks and almond milks for when I need milk for my morning coffee...some times I add some of these milks to the soups I make.
While this a reply, it is not really an answer to my question.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:45 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post

Nope.

And we are also the only animals that drink coffee, put butter on toast and cook our vegetables. So what?

Old 06-12-2017, 10:48 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djkingman View Post
I just checked my calorie app and it said that regular whole milk has 12 grams of carbs and lactose free whole milk has 13 grams of carbs. If lactose is a form of sugar, why to carbs increase when you remove it?

The lactose isn't physically removed - its just broken down by lactase added to the milk before it gets to the store to into its two component sugars - i.e. glucose and galactose.

But why the total carbohydrate levels goes up by 1 gram - not clear to me at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness