Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 03:15 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,451,864 times

Advertisements

I wonder if anybody has an opinion on the MMR vaccination and its risks.
In a few months my husband and I will be facing again the (for me) agonizing choice of vaccinating our little boy with MMR. We went through it with our other children and for many years I delayed such vaccination and my second child was only vaccinated when he was 5.
I don't know if here in Spain I would even be allowed not to vaccinate or whether there are options for the separate vaccines, I will find out.
But in the meantime I would value people opinions and experiences.
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 06:14 PM

436 posts, read 810,035 times
Get The Vaccine!

Old 01-28-2008, 06:15 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,938,833 times
I don't vaccinate when my children are babies/toddlers. I am not confident that the shots are completely without risk and my children are genetically predisposed to autism spectrum disorders, so I opt to delay the vaccines indefinitely.

You can always do them later when you feel more comfortable. I'm not sure of the legalities involved in Spain though.

I hope you can get some answers about this. There is a comprehensive vaccination board located at the forums at mothering.com. There is a board for people who do not vaccinate and another board for those who select and/or delay the vaccinations. A wealth of information exists there.

Good luck with your decision!

Old 01-28-2008, 06:30 PM

So. would your rather take a chance that your son develop mumps at a specific age, and chance being rendered sterile because of your decision to avoid the vaccine?

Old 01-28-2008, 06:31 PM

379 posts, read 645,204 times
Buy Dr Sears book about Vaccination. Very interesting and informative.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:40 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
Just because the government and doctors think having vaccines is normal and every child should get them, doesn't mean they are safe.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:53 AM

Generally I have no problems with vaccinations, I realize their importance and I would like to vaccinate my child against Measles, Mumbs and Rubella. Somehow though, I feel uncomfortable with the MMR vaccine and I would prefer to use the three separate jabs. I would like to be offered the option!!!

In the medical world, here in Spain too, they tell me that the link between MMR and Autism (amongst other side effects) has not been proved. But would it be in the Pharmaceutical Companies' interest to prove such a link? Can you imagine the number of compensations they would have to face if such a link were ever proved?
And also, do we have to wait for such a link to be proved before something is done to offer alternative to concerned parents?

Old 01-29-2008, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Just because the government and doctors think having vaccines is normal and every child should get them, doesn't mean they are safe.
That is true. NOTHING is completely safe. However, statistically, the vaccines have a good health record. Without the vaccines, where would we be?

Old 01-29-2008, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiek View Post
That is true. NOTHING is completely safe. However, statistically, the vaccines have a good health record. Without the vaccines, where would we be?

I agree that vaccines have done a lot for humanity, but when it comes to your own child, he is a bit more than a statistic.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch5 View Post
I agree that vaccines have done a lot for humanity, but when it comes to your own child, he is a bit more than a statistic.
And well he should be. I said nothing to demean the importance of a child. I am just stating,however, that there are times when one needs to look hard at the statistics, and at the disease itself.

Considering the overall safety of the current vaccinations, and the good they have accomplished, I would agree to my children's vaccinations all over again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness