Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2007, 07:27 AM

1,093 posts, read 3,795,138 times

Advertisements

Anyone had it? Worth the price?
I am seriously considering it, but before I shell out the money (and its a nice chunk of money too) I want to know if it is going to be worth it, and if there is and pain.
Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 08:12 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,220,186 times
I have seen quite a few negative stories regarding this, but I believe that in these news stories the person has gone not done any research. Do plastic surgeons do this for people? That would be my first choice to make sure that you are not burned or otherwise mistreated. But, after saying that I would be interested in hearing comments also. What is the average cost?

Old 02-23-2007, 03:46 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
My cousin is getting this done. She gets about 3 dark colored hairs under her chin so she is getting that area lasered. The price is determined by the size of the area. Each treatment is $85, which she found was pretty cheap compared to other doctors, and this doctor was recommended by a couple of coworkers. So far she has had 2 treatments done. She said it hurts a bit but not really worse than waxing or tattooing.

Old 02-23-2007, 07:01 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,220,186 times
That is not too bad of a price considering what you are having done!

Old 02-26-2007, 06:11 AM

894 posts, read 4,348,545 times
Depends on the courseness of the hair as to how many times you need to have it done. I have had some areas that responded well, and some that did not. Light or blond hairs do not respond well to Laser.

Old 03-03-2007, 07:38 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,750,050 times
I have a friend who does the laser hair removal in a plastic surgeon's office. She has said that she gets the best results for those who have dark hair on light skin. The pigment in hair reacts to the laser. Blond hair is hard, and red hair is the hardest. Also, hair has three stages, basically growth, fall out, and prepping to grown. All your hair isn't in the same phase at the same time (unless you just finished chemo), and since the laser only kills hairs in the growth phase, that is why it takes multiple treatments.

I went to her a few times to get it done. I am blond with very pale skin, to the laser had to be turned up pretty high. For the most part, it wasn't too terribly painful (although it did hurt some); however, when she would hit the occasional darker hair or freckle, it was very painful. After two treatments on my legs, we saw no hair reduction and gave up. There were some other extinuating circumstances too (like why I know the chemo bit), but it seemed like my leg hair was just too light to react. I have also had 3 treatments on my underarms - that was much more successful. I keep meaning to go back to finish that, but never get around to it. Now I have about 80% less underarm hair than I use to.

As for prices - I don't know much about that as I was getting a "friend" deal. I believe she said it was based on the size of the area. Her office also had a plan where you could pay like $4k and get unlimited treatments for a year.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:11 PM

1 posts, read 9,219 times
Default be careful

My son has had many treatments on his back (by a dermatologist) and it has made the hair growth go crazy. After about seven or eight treatments, the hair grew back fuller and was probably ten times worse than it ever was! Of course, the doctor has no answer for this and says it can't be the lazer. Well, I've been reading anything and everything I can find on the subject and my son is not the only one this has happened to. The doctors seem to know that this can happen, but unfortunately, never mention it. I don't know what we are going to do, but it's getting worse! What a nightmare.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:08 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,339,338 times
I was told that you could get nerve damage from having this done........saying that you could be left with a droopy jaw ......AFter much consideration I voted not to have it done!

Old 01-11-2012, 10:11 PM

1 posts, read 4,668 times
Im haveing my free consaltation tomorrow. Im dark skinned so idk how much to pay. But I hate shaveing my undarms and I really wanna try this. All the shaving makes the area darker. ( im nervous about the pain

Old 01-18-2012, 10:06 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,100,344 times
Permanent hair removal by a good physician with the laser turned up is painful, effective and expensive. It will take several treatments spaced apart by about 6 months but it works! Permanently. I highly recommend it over any other procedure. And no, there is no nerve damage or any other side effects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness