Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 02:09 PM

320 posts, read 353,347 times

Advertisements

A few months ago I developed what I thought might have been a scab of some sort on my scalp. I thought it had gone away but today when I was rubbing my hands through my hair I felt it and it was much bigger than before. Before I go to the dermatologist, I just wanted to see if anyone else has seen anything like this or experienced this. I'm trying not to freak out but it's got me a little worried and I won't be able to get to the doctor until sometime next week.
I hope the attached picture does it justice. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Growth on scalp-img_0660.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 03:16 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
The scalp is a common place for skin cancers to develop. Based on my own experience with a "squamous cell cancer" (SCC) on my foot, if you are just now noticing it, you stand a good chance of having it removed with no problems. It was about 6 months or more after I first noticed a small growth on foot that I decided it was not ordinary, and needed checked by a dermo. He did a biopsy which confirmed the SCC, and it was removed by MOHS surgery. Fortunately it was what is called "in situ" meaning it had not yet invaded underlying tissue.That was 3 years ago with no recurrence.

By all means see a dermo ASAP, but don't panic.

Good luck........

BTW, of the three major skin cancers, a melanoma is the worst, a basal cell carcinoma is least worrisome, and SCC is in the middle.

Old 09-17-2015, 03:23 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway365 View Post
A few months ago I developed what I thought might have been a scab of some sort on my scalp. I thought it had gone away but today when I was rubbing my hands through my hair I felt it and it was much bigger than before. Before I go to the dermatologist, I just wanted to see if anyone else has seen anything like this or experienced this. I'm trying not to freak out but it's got me a little worried and I won't be able to get to the doctor until sometime next week.
I have something like that on my scalp. It is even in shape and pinkish white. There is a good website out there describing these things, and I have determined mine is nothing. I have had many similar skin growths removed from elsewhere on my body, at my age they are common, and they are always tested and benign. I may eventually get this one shave off as well, because while it doesn't hurt or feel like anything, it does annoy me. I have had mine awhile, but they can and do pop up sort of suddenly. I had one in the same spot several years ago, and one day it kind of "deflated" but it grew back.

Old 09-17-2015, 03:50 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,238,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway365 View Post
Its probably just a blocked hair follicle. That stuff happens, some of it gets huge...ack..! If you don't mind me saying your hair looks a little greasy which also increases the likelihood. You should shampoo more, it doesn't happen unless the follicle gets dirty.

Your hair is a little thick and young looking to be worrying about cancer up there yet.

Of course get it checked though!

Old 09-17-2015, 04:08 PM

The reason I am so concerned is because I have had quite a few excruciatingly terrible sunburns in the past; to the point of oozing blisters. So the thought of cancer lingers a bit.
In addition, I have never had anything like this just show up on my body so it's a little odd for me.
As for my hair, it is very thick and I only shampoo every few days because I was told that shampooing every day is not good.
Thanks for the feedback!

Old 09-17-2015, 08:20 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Types of skin cancer: What are basal and squamous cell skin cancers?

Basal cell carcinoma

This is not only the most common type of skin cancer, but the most common type of cancer in humans. About 8 out of 10 skin cancers are basal cell carcinomas (also called basal cell cancers). When seen under a microscope, the cells in these cancers look like cells in the lowest layer of the epidermis, called the basal cell layer.

These cancers usually develop on sun-exposed areas, especially the head and neck. Basal cell carcinoma was once found almost entirely in middle-aged or older people. Now it is also being seen in younger people, probably because they are spending more time in the sun.

These cancers tend to grow slowly. It’s very rare for a basal cell cancer to spread to other parts of the body. But if a basal cell cancer is left untreated, it can grow into nearby areas and invade the bone or other tissues beneath the skin.

If not removed completely, basal cell carcinoma can recur (come back) in the same place on the skin. People who have had basal cell skin cancers are also more likely to get new ones in other places. As many as half of the people who are diagnosed with a basal cell cancer will develop a new skin cancer within 5 years.

Old 09-18-2015, 04:41 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Cancer has no idea how old you are. I know people in their 20s with skin cancer. I also know people in their 70s with skin cancer.

Do yourself a favor and visit the dermatologist and let them determine what that bump is.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:02 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,246,081 times
In addition to the three types of skin cancers, there is a pre-cancerous condition called solar or actinic keratosis, treated with liquid nitrogen. The MD literally freezes them off. I had this condition 20 yrs. ago. Not to be confused with senile keratosis which is benign. Also had one of them.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:59 AM

So I had a physician look at my scalp off the record. They referred me to a dermatologist that will being removing what looks to be a benign tumor growth. Once they do a biopsy on the cut out growth I will know what exactly it is. Thanks for the feedback all!

Old 07-24-2017, 10:44 AM

1 posts, read 8,970 times
@castaway365 . Hi Did you find out what was it . I have something similar on my scalp and honestly it has got me a little worried now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness