Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 12:45 PM

7 posts, read 15,668 times

Advertisements

I just found out recently that I have cataracts in both eyes. I'm only 35 but my doctor things prednisone usage as a child (I had cancer) may have contributed to this early onset. I'm already having symptoms, mainly that it's getting harder to drive at night because of glare from headlights. This pretty much means I have to do it relatively soon unless I want to stop driving at night all together.

I don't know how to choose a doctor (I'm in Pittsburgh, PA) or what kind of lenses to get. From what I understand, if I get monovision lenses, I might need glasses for intermediate distance, glasses for reading AND glasses for the computer?! OMG! That sounds awful. The saddest part is my eyes were always good and I've never needed glasses before. So I'm used to seeing at all distances. However, it's my understanding that the multifocal lenses are very expenses and insurance doesn't pay for them & also that a lot of people can't adjust to the multifocal lenses very well. So basically I'm going to be 35 & need at least three pairs of glasses.

On top of that, I'm just generally terrified of this surgery. It's probably going to be another 6 months until I have it & I'm not sure I can survive the anxiety & stress leading up to this.

Sorry for whining, but I was totally caught off guard by this diagnosis & I'm crushed. Thanks for listening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 12:54 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,605,871 times
I will be needing cataract surgery and did my research on them and what I've decided to do is do the monofocal lens for clear vision at computer distance which is what I typically do at work and at home, and get glasses for reading (which I don't do that much) and glasses for driving. I read about the multifocal and agree with you that it seems it's money wasted and even worse money wasted on something that doesn't work for a lot of people. Monofocal would at least give you very clear vision at whatever distance you choose (like outdoor people who don't read or use the computer much might choose distance without glasses and use glasses for computers/reading).

That is the key point about monofocals, there are usually 3 distances, book reading, computer reading and outdoors. You pick a distance that most of your activities are at, and you don't need glasses for that distance but you would need glasses for the other two distances. Other than this choice of what distance for monofocal lens I don't worry too much since I've read it's a very high success rate that goes very smoothly with high satisfaction from monofocal lens. Good luck!

Last edited by fumbling; 09-28-2015 at 01:03 PM..

Old 09-28-2015, 01:31 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
I had surgery on both eyes due to cataracks, caused by meds. The doctor didn't try to figure out how the first eye was effected and it was my own research which led me to finding the cause. Apparently serequel was the culpret, though I never took a lot of them.

I'd also had laser surgery for distance before. I had used glasses for close up reading or the computer forever and chose to go with the monovision type with good general distance vision.

One bit of advise. If you have any problems, go call the doctor and see them. I didn't have pain or anything, but the one eye was red around the incision. It healed with good vision but the pupil doesn't react to light, so I have to have good sunglasses in sun. But I have better vision than I've ever had, including the laser surgery (and I insisted on being sedated, not relaxed)

I found it better to have close vision where I can read the screen and some print a better choice since its already what I'm used to, but its very useful to see distances so well.

If you have focusing issues, especially with reading, the surgery might not fix them either. I find the lens sitting in front of my eye forces my lazy eye to focus with the other one.

Don't be nervous about it. You'll be amazed how good it feels to be able to see well in whatever view you choose. Just plan to be with someone the first day or two, and follow doctors instruction. My doctor said they always do the eyes seperately, too.

Old 09-28-2015, 01:43 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,852,540 times
I remember the doctor telling my hubby that cataract surgery is one procedure that doctors have gotten really good at & is very successful.

I know many people that have had it & all have said it was easier than expected & successful.

About the glasses, I think you can get progressive lenses (I have them.) It's a newer kind of bifocal (without the lines.) Ask your doctor about progressive lenses. Mine are for distance, computer range & reading - all in one pair of glasses. I love progressives & adjusted to them quite quickly.

Once you've had the cataract surgery be sure to come back here & tell us all how easy it was.

Oh, and they usually do one eye & the other eye a few months after (at least that's how it went with a few people that I know.)

Old 09-28-2015, 01:53 PM

Thanks, guys. I'm so scared right now. I'm young so if I pick the wrong lenses or something happens... ugh. It's just a lot to process. I'm grateful for your replies.

Old 09-28-2015, 03:05 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Nothing to be scared about, it's an easy no feeling operation. Takes about 10 minutes, you'll be sedated and never feel a thing. I recently went through that procedure and had Toric lenses implanted. Best decision I've ever made.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:27 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
I have 1 pair of glasses for reading and far distance. I don't really need them to drive. I have my new lenses set for daily life, including driving. Easy 15-20 min procedure. No sweat!

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 09-30-2015 at 06:48 AM..

Old 09-30-2015, 02:09 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Dont worry about the surgery as you will feel nothing as they freeze the eye very well with some form of gel and you'll see nothing as they shine a very bright light in your eye while they are doing the 10 minutes per eye procedure, if you are having both eyes done theres usually a couple of weeks interval between the 2 surgeries...
i opted for the single vision ocular implants and now have the inconvenience of needing reading glasses of several strengths for different applications. the $10 readers from the pharmacy work well, however if you go out and need to read something like a menu you will be out of luck if you forget those glasses.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:20 AM

I appreciate the replies! I'm a worrier. Scared something bad will happen to me I guess. I'm glad you all had good experiences though.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:40 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
OP, complications are quite rare. You will undoubtedly be in good hands and have a very good outcome.

I was in your position about 7 months ago, and I started this thread: reassurance please -- cataract surgery next week!! . I'm posting it here not to hijack your thread, but to give you more reassurance. Posters in my thread certainly knew how scared I was, and I was really grateful for their stories and their kindness.

RE: glasses after surgery, I got the mono lenses as (1) the multifocal lenses weren't covered by insurance and would have cost a few thousand dollars out of pocket and (2) my surgeon doesn't generally recommend the multifocal lenses due to a few problems with them. Pre-surgery, I wore glasses for distance and even they could not help with one of my eyes as the cataract was so advanced; I didn't wear glasses for reading, which was unusual at my age (56), but was told I would likely need them post-surgery.

Well, post-surgery, I don't have to wear glasses for anything. I actually GOT glasses in a very very weak prescription simply because I thought they might be good to have when I am driving at night on unfamiliar roads, but I had to laugh when I got them as they made almost no difference. What I really enjoy is STILL not having to wear them for reading. I did increase the font on my Kindle by 1 setting, but I usually read at the next-to-smallest setting anyway, so I'm still reading very small print with no trouble. The ONLY thing that I have trouble reading is my iPhone in bed in the dark -- but I shouldn't be surfing the Internet in bed anyway (bad sleep hygiene ) so that's OK.

Best of luck to you -- and please keep us posted!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness