Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 11:06 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,555,388 times

Advertisements

I thought it would be useful to share tips, supplements, etc. that help folks get over a cold quickly, or stop it in it's tracks.

Echinacea herb supplements work for me most of the time. Chicken soup doesn't hurt!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 12:28 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
I'm going through the same thing, and it doesn't help matters any that I work outside. I started coming down with a cold (sneezing & runny nose). I'm taking generic Allegra, and getting lots of sleep, and it's just about gone.

Old 01-04-2016, 12:31 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
elderberry syrup, Vitamin D, Vitamin C, Oil of Oregano. I've managed to avoid colds, flu and norovirus after definite prolonged exposures to all three while using this combination.

I also tend to drink tea with lots of lemon, honey and ginger during cold and flu season.

Old 01-04-2016, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I'm going through the same thing, and it doesn't help matters any that I work outside. I started coming down with a cold (sneezing & runny nose). I'm taking generic Allegra, and getting lots of sleep, and it's just about gone.
Does Allegra work for a common cold? I though allergy medication didn't help if it's a virus.

Old 01-04-2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
elderberry syrup, Vitamin D, Vitamin C, Oil of Oregano. I've managed to avoid colds, flu and norovirus after definite prolonged exposures to all three while using this combination.

I also tend to drink tea with lots of lemon, honey and ginger during cold and flu season.
Second time today that I have heard someone mention oil of oregano. I am off to do some reading about it.

Old 01-04-2016, 12:57 PM

11 posts, read 14,165 times
Funny coming across this post this morning. I was looking for the same thing. I 'googled' detox bath and decided on one as I had the ingredients on hand. I felt much better right after! I'm sure I'll be near 100% tomorrow. Detox baths have been around since ancient times. Guess that's why we still use them! If interested, do the same Google search. I used hot water, Epson salt, baking soda, ginger, lavender essential oil and tea tree oil. Plus a little grapefruit for the citrus. As soon as I fully emerged I could feel different. Awesome I recommend a try! Won't hurt

Old 01-04-2016, 03:36 PM

114 posts, read 74,576 times
I'm in my 40s and have been battling hypothyroidism for about 6 years now. The health of my hair is lackluster at best now....thanks to a stupid thyroid and the medication to treat it.

Anyway, a few years ago I started taking a biotin/vitamin C combo and I think I have been very mildly sick maybe three times...

I am also a firm believer in exercise and eating (somewhat) healthy. Oh...and a beer now and then.

Old 01-04-2016, 05:45 PM

912 posts, read 915,628 times
Before I had a toddler and cold-induced asthma, I swore by loading up on vitamins via drinking juice (homemade fruit/veg or "Green Machine", when on the go) and tons of rest as soon as I feel the first signs of a pre-cold. Worked like a charm, until I became a single mom and couldn't rest.

Old 01-04-2016, 06:53 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
Does Allegra work for a common cold? I though allergy medication didn't help if it's a virus.
The Allegra has worked on my runny nose, and kept me from sneezing. I have previously taken generic Claritin, but it didn't work this time. I rooted around in my free samples, and found an Allegra sample. I figured I'd take it and see if it helped, it did, so I bought some.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:38 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Sleep
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness