Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 10:39 PM

807 posts, read 1,353,981 times

Advertisements

I've been taking percocet for 2.5 years recreationally. I'm about to run out and I won't be able to get anymore. I'm down to about 25 7.5mg percocets and I'm getting really nervous. I take anywhere between 15-25mgs a night. I weigh 130lbs. This is enough to give me a decent buzz and has for 2.5 years.

I tried to start cutting back a little at a time until I gave out so the withdrawals wouldn't be so bad but I'm am officially admitting now I'm addicted to them. I can't stop on my own. I'll have to run out and it's about to happen. I don't think I'm going to be dope sick or anything like that but I'm going to miss that rush of dopamine entering my brain at night before bed.

I'm about to re-enter life without oxycodone and I'm honestly scared to death. I know 15-25mgs isn't a lot but I look forward to it all day while I'm at work. Even though it sounds like it, I'm not a loser. I have a career in IT, own my home, 3 vehicles and have a great dog. I've always been financially responsible and currently have no debt at 30 years old. I do have hobbies like playing guitar and playing with my dog.

I feel like when I run out I'm not going to have any kind of motivation anymore. I will no longer have that buzz to look forward to when the day is coming to an end. During the past 2.5 years, there were a few instances where I had to go a day or two without any and needless to say those days really sucked.

With the amount I take a day will it take long for my brain chemistry to get back in order? I don't crave oxy during the day, only after 6pm. Maybe it won't be so bad since I never increased my dosage?

Any advice or suggestions would be great. If you've never experienced drug addiction and are coming in here to judge me and tell me I had choices. Don't. I know I had choices. The past 5 years of my life have been complete hell and I know that's no excuse. I lost my mother 4 years ago and then became a caregiver to my father who just lost his battle with cancer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 11:05 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
You are going to need more help than any of us can provide:

Percocet Addiction - For Immediate Help Call: 877-751-1452

Percocet Detox Treatment | Overcoming Percocet Addiction

Even if you don't think that your doses are that high, call those numbers. Get some information, find the help that you need. These people will be able to better help you than any of us.

I'm not, nor have I ever, abused drugs, so no, I do not understand, but I'm not here to judge you, either. When I broke my ankle, I was given Oxycontin...I took one dose. When I started to hallucinate that there was a dog in the driveway, plus the fact that it made me feel sick, I said, "hell no" to it and never took it again. On the flip side, I was given two Vicodin when I was taken to get my x-rays. They worked fast, my pain was gone, I was laughing like an idiot and joking with the x-ray tech. I felt fantastic even though my ankle was so busted up that I needed a metal plate and pins. So I kind of understand how one can get addicted to something like that. I'm just glad I was never given more Vicodin.

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 01-23-2016 at 11:34 PM.. Reason: Ugh, not Valium, Vicodin...I just knew it started with a "V".

Old 01-23-2016, 11:08 PM

484 posts, read 561,204 times
You are not alone and you aren't the first person to be addicted to opiates. Far from it. You've tried to handle this on your own, and you know now that it won't work.

It's a good first step to admit that you are powerless over it. But you will need much more than this board can give you. As you know in your bones, the people who can help you are those of us who have been there.

Call Narcotics Anonymous. Someone will pick up the phone. Tell them what you wrote here, and ask for help getting to a meeting. You will be amazed at the range of people you will see in the room. You will be stunned to hear complete strangers talking about the things they've done to get drugs -- things you've done too. http://www.NA.org

Recovery is possible, but it isn't possible alone, and it isn't possible simply by posting on the internet. Get to a meeting -- there is experience, strength and hope waiting for you to pick it up. You don't have to live in the shadows, hating yourself for something that you can't control. You can't change the past, you can only change the future if you reach out to others and follow their advice.

Do it now, because if you don't, the addiction will take everything you love away from you -- job, position, money, house, spouse, children, life. It works if you work it. Call NA as soon as you read these words. Get to a meeting.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:22 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebellious1 View Post
I've been taking percocet for 2.5 years recreationally. I'm about to run out and I won't be able to get anymore. I'm down to about 25 7.5mg percocets and I'm getting really nervous. I take anywhere between 15-25mgs a night. I weigh 130lbs. This is enough to give me a decent buzz and has for 2.5 years.

I tried to start cutting back a little at a time until I gave out so the withdrawals wouldn't be so bad but I'm am officially admitting now I'm addicted to them. I can't stop on my own. I'll have to run out and it's about to happen. I don't think I'm going to be dope sick or anything like that but I'm going to miss that rush of dopamine entering my brain at night before bed.

I'm about to re-enter life without oxycodone and I'm honestly scared to death. I know 15-25mgs isn't a lot but I look forward to it all day while I'm at work. Even though it sounds like it, I'm not a loser. I have a career in IT, own my home, 3 vehicles and have a great dog. I've always been financially responsible and currently have no debt at 30 years old. I do have hobbies like playing guitar and playing with my dog.

I feel like when I run out I'm not going to have any kind of motivation anymore. I will no longer have that buzz to look forward to when the day is coming to an end. During the past 2.5 years, there were a few instances where I had to go a day or two without any and needless to say those days really sucked.

With the amount I take a day will it take long for my brain chemistry to get back in order? I don't crave oxy during the day, only after 6pm. Maybe it won't be so bad since I never increased my dosage?

Any advice or suggestions would be great. If you've never experienced drug addiction and are coming in here to judge me and tell me I had choices. Don't. I know I had choices. The past 5 years of my life have been complete hell and I know that's no excuse. I lost my mother 4 years ago and then became a caregiver to my father who just lost his battle with cancer.
Check into drug rehab.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:48 AM

1,394 posts, read 1,259,468 times
Get time off work right away. Take your dog to a trusted caregiver. Clean the house and finish all laundry and errands. Call a treatment center and secure a room.
You ARE going to be sick... real sick. Two years plus isn.t going to not hurt. Don.t do it at home. You need to put urself in a safe place with professionals, like in a couple days. And shame on you for taking good drugs and going to sleep: what a waste!
You are NOT alone and you CAN get thru it one day at a time.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:49 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
There are many people who have been where you are, so take the advice of other posters and get professional help to get through this. Why tough it out, and reduce your chance of success, by going it alone?

Old 01-25-2016, 07:36 PM

8 posts, read 6,096 times
Did you already look for a treatment center near you? I've read this article that might help you decide that you need to go to rehab.

https://recoveryexperts.com/rebuzz/t...ld-go-to-rehab

I know you're a functional addict. But still, we knew there is a problem. I'm glad you want that problem to be solved.

Old 01-26-2016, 05:42 AM

2,158 posts, read 3,594,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebellious1 View Post

When I talked to my doctor about quitting a long term and severe addiction to alcohol he told me: "Don't even bother trying to quit unless you have something to replace it with." He knew I was not someone who would ever practice moderation and I needed a benign addiction. So I quit drinking and took up dirt-track stock car racing. It worked: the racing devoured entire weekends, a good many late nights and a substantial amount of money -- just like alcohol, but relatively benign. I have now retired from stock car racing after a track championship in 2008 and bicycle every change I get.

I never went to a single AA meeting or anything like that, despite propaganda that my method never works. But if meetings or group support would be your thing go for it!

Play music semi-professionally? Become a dog trainer? I can't say what will work for you, but a vacuum is not good!

Don

Old 01-26-2016, 01:58 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Opiate dependency is a tough nut. I've been on pain management for ten years. Up till a few months ago they had me up to an insane dose to. MS Contain 60s 3 times a day and oxycodone 10s every 6 hours prn for breakthrough. I needed it for a while. My condition is pretty severe. Working with my doctors over the last few months I've got it backed off to 3 10 mg oxycodones per day doing the job. Stopping the morphine was HARD. Even still having the oxy.

I stupidly tried stopping the oxy as well, on my own, just to see what would happen, and wound up in the hospital. I highly recommend seeking medical help. Opiate withdrawal CAN be life threatening, though they say its not. Even in lighter dose dependency cases, the insomnia, nausea and diarrhea can be enough to seriously deplete you. Since you don't have a serious pain condition to exacerbate the withdrawals, that's a blessing. Withdrawal is still more than uncomfortable. You can get help with that, however, and you should.. Without it, chances of success are seriously diminished.

I have a very painful condition, and I probably will be on these meds for the rest of my life, which is why I wanted to get the dosage backed way off. What I take is more effective now as well. At any rate, seek medical help, and best of luck.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:36 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
It'll take at least a few months. That's how long it took my son's friend (heroine addict) to start to look and act like a normal person.

I'm sorry for your loss. My mother died a little more than two years ago, and it was devastating.

Dad, mom and my eldest brother are gone. I really miss them, but life goes on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness