Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 02:56 AM

18 posts, read 20,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
Crash your car......worked for me.

That blows!... Funny post though hahah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 04:50 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,602,806 times
binge drinking or smoking for that matter is a case of, when YOU want to stop you will stop, if you don't want to then you wont.

Old 02-02-2016, 06:11 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
binge drinking or smoking for that matter is a case of, when YOU want to stop you will stop, if you don't want to then you wont.
Yep, with some people there is no moderation, you either choose to drink/smoke or you don't. I don't think the OP wants to stop drinking, because he still believes he can control it.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:28 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,786 times
switch to marijuana

Old 02-02-2016, 07:59 AM

37 posts, read 33,647 times
I stopped by not having any beer or alcohol in my house period. If it was in the house, I would drink it, period. Now I only drink at restaurants or with friends camping or watching a game, etc. That limits me given the time, and my desire for quantity is much lower now that I drink far less frequently (4-5 was the min when I had it at home, now 2 is the max, I just do not desire it after that now).

Old 02-02-2016, 08:45 AM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Try not stocking your house with booze. If you can go 90 days without a drink, you probably do not have a problem.
This is one of those common, but incorrect, myths that probably shouldn't be public opinion any more but still is. There are literally thousands of problem drinkers who have quite for years, even decades, who return at some point to problematic drinking.

Proof is not in the "being able to quit"; it's in the being able to "stay quit."

OP, you ask how to change your attitude. I see one huge stumbling block for you. That is your apparent distain or derision toward the recovering alcoholics you have encountered in your two visits to a support group.

Perhaps if you are convinced that you can't be like "those people" a part of your brain that wants to continue to drink can convince itself you aren't really like them. Problem drinkers/alcoholics come in all flavors and social strata. Maybe the next time you visit a meeting you could set a goal to listen for the number of ways your thinking and attitude has been like theirs rather than different.

Remember - it's not the appearance that proves problem drinking but rather the alcoholic thinking and behavior. In that you are so spot on with the idea that your attitude is an issue.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:06 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
You might try not drinking for 30 days. I'm in the same boat with sugar. I made it 17 days into my 30 day plan to quit, but it is different this time. I can control it, where as I couldn't before. You have to think of your mind as a computer that needs to reboot. Try the 30 day plan and reintroduce alcohol slowly. If you can't control it, you're an alcoholic. You may then need to decide which direction you want to take.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:09 AM

1,509 posts, read 1,795,550 times
There is only one guaranteed way to quit binge drinking, and we all know what it is.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:11 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The5thOfNovemner View Post
that's what exactly what i am looking to accomplish, brake an unhealthy pattern. I have quit smoking this summer by reading a self help book (Sometimes I smoke when I dream, I now need same attitude adjustment towards alcohol. It is a bad habit, and it I know how it developed from self medicating due to a psychological problem.

I have visited AA meetings 2 times, and I have a reinforced conclusion that these people deserve to be made fun off.
Basically a 70 year old woman takes the podium and with a voice of a heavy smoker says "I used to be a prostitute and alcohol is to blame !" That is my opinion of the whole AA.

I was born in the Soviet Union and I am called a drinker, where some people do not drink at all are called none-drinking persons. People with dependency issues are called alcoholics and then there are some people who are called drunks.

But yahh, looking for an idea for an attitude adjustment. I talked to my shrink, but I think he drinks more then 2 drinks a day 5 days a week. My Physician offered medicine that would make me puke at the smell of alcohol and has nasty side effects. I just have to remember to stop after 3 drinks (when i don't have to) I am 40, but i don't have any kids and I am divorced, i am a high energy guy, so this is exactly this, find a better way to spend my time.
Well, you could start your attitude adjustment by not being an arrogant dick. Binge drinking isn't an automatic sign of alcoholism, but given that you can't stop it, um, yeah, you're an alcoholic. The fact that you're judging and mocking people who have found a way to stop drinking indicates there's some big issues with your character.

I suspect you'll just have to bottom out before you figure it out. Meanwhile, you'll increase your drinking, become more reckless, damage your health and relationships and endanger others.

But congrats on being too cool for AA

Old 02-02-2016, 11:01 AM

993 posts, read 766,974 times
I'm a recovering alcoholic.

Have you tried a group called "smart recovery?" Google it. I'd say that AA isn't where you belong yet because you don't want to stop drinking entirely. Trying to "manage" my drinking was a lot of work. In the end it was easier to stop drinking entirely. Don't drink for 30 days. See how you feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness