Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 12:14 AM

105 posts, read 85,844 times

Advertisements

I had to take my husband to the emergency room because he couldn't empty his bladder. Long story short, they inserted a catheter that he needed for 24 hours until the meds kicked in.

24 hours later he had the catheter removed art the urologist office. The next day he had some concerns so it was back to the urologist office for a bladder scan.

The nurse who did the bladder scan told us that the other gentleman in the waiting room had the same problem. She said that the doctor had sent him home with another catheter and told him to come back in a week. She even told us the measurement of how much urine the other guy was retaining.

Fortunately it turned out everything was fine with my husband. However, even though this happened a couple of weeks ago, it still bugs me that this nurse talked so openly about the other guy`s medical condition. This tells me she wasn't hesitating to talk about my husbands private business with others either.

Did she violate HIPPA? If so, where would I report this? Or am I misunderstanding the whole privacy issue?

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 02-17-2018 at 12:13 AM.. Reason: Correct spelling for HIPAA

Old 02-15-2018, 12:26 AM

587 posts, read 225,510 times
Im so sorry your husband went thru that!!!!

What exactly was stopping him from going bathroom??

The nurse probably figured since the other guy hads the SAME PROBLEM it wasnt a big deal,im not sure.... But your right she should have been more discreit!!!

Im glad your husband is ok!!!!!!! -- Peace and love to ya both

Old 02-15-2018, 05:02 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,211,073 times
I would have no problem with her discussing another patient but certainly not one that could be identified, like the one in the waiting room.
You should speak to whoever is in charge so they can admonish her and remind her that this is inappropriate.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:19 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,033,682 times
yes, it's a HIPPA violation. She should not be sharing any patient information with anyone not related to his case. Can you report it? Sure, but you're not the one who was violated so it won't go very far...however, I would call and talk to the office manager and share it with them

Old 02-15-2018, 12:15 PM

5,404 posts, read 16,000,620 times
She didn't tell you his NAME, did she? Your knowing that someone else has a similar issue didn't affect the other patient, did it?

Old 02-15-2018, 01:54 PM

23,319 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
yes, it's a HIPPA violation. She should not be sharing any patient information with anyone not related to his case. Can you report it? Sure, but you're not the one who was violated so it won't go very far...however, I would call and talk to the office manager and share it with them
Hmm, it may have been inappropriate to discuss another patient in the office at the same time, but it might not reach the level of a HIPPA violation. And no, your husband was not the one violated. She may have intended to use a "generalized" patient story to put your husband a little more at ease about his own situation. Getting that specific was careless. However, you don't really know if the information was actually anyone else's. Mentioning it to the office manager would be a good idea. Time to remind their staff that HIPPA is important and the last thing they want is a violation over something easily prevented.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-15-2018 at 02:17 PM..

Old 02-15-2018, 02:58 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,954,715 times
You also have no idea if what she told you was true.

She could have been making a scenario up to put your husband at ease.

Old 02-15-2018, 03:14 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,771,580 times
I don't think it reaches the level of a HIPAA violation but it sure got close. What if the OP was sitting in the waiting area with that guy and knew who he was, and then finds out his medical info from her husband? The nurse took a big risk because circumstances could have turned it into a HIPAA violation.

Best to report it to the Office Mgr. anyway as that nurse was out of bounds talking about the other patient.

Old 02-15-2018, 03:34 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,240,628 times
I'm in healthcare. It's not a HIPPA violation. It's the same as saying "another patient" with a similar issue. Unless she specifically pointed to him, gave you his name, and other identifying information, she may have just been making it up to put you at ease or she could have even meant someone who was in the waiting room earlier--or who came in after you were admitted back.

Additionally, you were at a urologist. They manage very specific things...it's not worth reporting.

FYI-I take HIPPA as a VERY serious issue, as I could lose my job for violating it.

Old 02-15-2018, 04:03 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,233,035 times
I disagree with most of the people above...

What you are describing is ABSOLUTELY a HIPAA violation, it is the very definition of a violation...

I have to take HIPAA training every year and the scenario you just described is like one of the "textbook examples of what not to do" that I have to watch on video every time...

You stated the "other gentleman" in the waiting room which means the person was "identified to you".....you don't have to be given his name, you "saw him" and would "recognize him". Facial recognition is considered an identifier and is the reason pictures of patients faces even without names cannot be used on medical slides without patient consent as it violates privacy rights...

Most importantly this nurse released PHI, private health information about another patient to you.....you were right to feel uncomfortable.

I can also understand your concern that if the nurse had no problems discussing private health information about this "other gentleman" to you, what's to stop her from doing the same with your husband's information to another patient...?

You should report it to the office manager or the physician treating your husband.

They will WANT to know because bottom line, if you and your husband felt uncomfortable you may not be the only ones who have been put in this awkward position and what happens when patient's don't feel their privacy will be respected?....they go elsewhere...

You will be doing the practice a favor by making your concerns known
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness