Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 04:47 AM

2 posts, read 5,629 times

Advertisements

Recently, my diastolic pressure has significantly elevated. In the afternoon, it can read 139/106. Just waking up it reads 119/91. I also feel awful. I was just put on Metoprolol at 25mg and a water pill at 12.5 mg. anxious to see results, as I have only takin one pill of the beta blocker so far, but have been on the water pill for a week. I can lower my top number, but the bottom number is stubborn. This is all new to me as this came on only in the last couple of months. How long before BP meds work? What is the best BP med for high diastolic?

I am only 42 and have always had normal blood pressure until recently. Other tests are being run, but would like to manage this BP to reasonable levels in the meantime. Also, I read that high BP doesn't come with symptoms, but I feel it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 07:09 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,450,054 times
Metoporal takes about a week to be effective, so give it a chance to kick in.

MOVEMENT is the key to lower BP. Walking and climbing stairs, and parking your car as far away from the office or the mall, as you can, will be helpful.

Reduce or eliminate SALT from your diet. Salt makes you hold water. The diuretic that you are on, is probably HCT, right ? That is hard on your kidneys, so you need to work on lowering your BP so you can get off of it.

Don't be a slave to the BP machine, but do all you can to reduce both of your numbers.

How do I know all this ?. I was where you are now, about 5 years ago. Same meds same problem.

Now, my resting heart rate is below 60, and my usual BP is 115/70. No salt, no caffeine, and no sugar.

Walk for 60 minutes , twice a day ( I am retired ) and swim 4 times a week at the local recreation centre .

Lost about 70 pounds. Went from a 48 waist, to a 36 waist, and down from a 19 collar, to a 16 inch collar, even lost a full shoe size.

Don't give up, You can do it, too.

Jim B.

Old 05-11-2016, 11:05 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
Many don't need BP meds and know our BP fluctuates almost every second. Words, thoughts, high voice, anger etc. can elevate BP. I worked long and hard and then went on BP meds probably in my early 60's...I'm 77. Meditation does wonders and getting into that habit can only help with BP.

Be on top of potassium as these meds pull potassium from our bodies.

My belief is too many get on lifelong meds due to white coat in the doctor's office...

We can control so much of our health and not be a slave to the drugs. They are all bandaids anyway.

If you have a fear, get a monitor and take it at least 3 times a day and it will go down every time. Work on being calm.

There is a long history on BP and the medicine world. If you feel like it, check out Weston Price Foundation site and blood pressure issues.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 05-11-2016 at 11:18 AM..

Old 05-11-2016, 12:25 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
I have ideopathic high blood pressure. I'm thin, active, and eat very healthy.

At one point it went up to 199/114. Not white coat related, that was at home. My doc had mentioned it had been getting high and to keep an eye on it. I even went and used a different machine before heading to ER.

Started at 10mg of Quinaprel and finally settled on 20mg. It went steady for awhile, so I lowered back to 10mg and it was fine, then shot back up. It's been like 106/70 for quite awhile now so I may try to reduce again. I don't have any side effects and all my lab work is good. It's the only one I tried so I am not familiar with the pros/cons.

Get a good home monitor and always have a copy of your lab meds sent to you. No one cares about you, like you! Good luck.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-28-2016, 09:03 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,786,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorecki View Post
Recently, my diastolic pressure has significantly elevated. In the afternoon, it can read 139/106. Just waking up it reads 119/91. I also feel awful. I was just put on Metoprolol at 25mg and a water pill at 12.5 mg. anxious to see results, as I have only takin one pill of the beta blocker so far, but have been on the water pill for a week. I can lower my top number, but the bottom number is stubborn. This is all new to me as this came on only in the last couple of months. How long before BP meds work? What is the best BP med for high diastolic?

I am only 42 and have always had normal blood pressure until recently. Other tests are being run, but would like to manage this BP to reasonable levels in the meantime. Also, I read that high BP doesn't come with symptoms, but I feel it!
I am 3 years older than you and have had the same numbers since spring. I was finally referred to a cardiologist in the beginning of summer. I've been through five meds since April! I started with Amlodipine which I didn't like because it made me anxious with a lack of words. I was then put on Losartan which I though was fine but it didn't address my high pulse. This is when I was referred to the cardiologist who then put me on Valsartan which i liked but he decided to put me on Metoprolol. I liked that one too but he said it wasn't low enough. Now I'm on Carvedilol and cannot wait until my appointment Monday to get off this mess. My BP has never been this high. This Carvedilol has elevated my BP and the numbers seem inconsistent.

I've learned that once you're on a beta blocker you have to be weaned off of it. This is all new to me and I cannot wait to get it leveled out because its giving me anxiety. I've always had a good sense of self and a bit of an ego and I could see this slowly tearing me apart. I still have LOTS of hope though. I am going to ask to be put back on the metoprolol with HCTZ (which I've been on for about 10 years) and maybe something else to get the pulse rate down. My job requires me to basically be doing calisthenics 6-8 hours a day and my FitBit says I walk an average of 11000 steps per day. I'm slightly overweight and but know that its genetic with HBP prevalent on both sides of the family. Keep us posted on your progress!!

Old 09-28-2016, 09:44 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
I'm 78 and have been taking a couple meds and HCTZ and BP was elevated and spiking and my osteopathic doctor got to a root of what was causing the spiking, it was ibuprofen which I've been taking for too long for OA and post hip replacement mess. I'm off this NSAID and my BP is much better. I don't except a constant 120/80...that is crazy to think that.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:07 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,163,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorecki View Post

Before you go completely down the "fix it with a pill" path ...

take the time to evaluate your whole diet/intake and activity picture.

You may find that your diet alone is a major contributor to the elevated BP levels.

In my case, eliminating caffeine, minimizing sugar (and any substitute sweeteners), and salt, then

monitoring magnesium, potassium, and selenium levels and supplementing those minerals

yielded BP's in the high 120's/low130's over high 60's/low70's, resting HR's around 58 to 61.

And I'm several decades older than you. Still physically active on my farm/ranch and other businesses.

Another poster mentioned Weston Price foundation ... this is a good starting point for looking at your health concerns from a dietary intake standpoint.

As well, if you're not monitoring your blood pressure through the day to correlate activity/intake with BP, then you're missing out a key tool to achieving desired BP/HR levels. For example, I just took my readings ... 127/71 at 51 HR. I've found a strong correlation between attitude/stress and HR; in my advancing years, I find a lot fewer things to get all worked up over. Whatever it takes to put you into that frame of mind is a good outlook ... be it just general attitude or Yoga or meditation or whatever ....

Old 10-06-2016, 09:03 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,247,707 times
One of my BP meds was a new age beta blocker called Bystolic which was introduced just a few yrs. ago. It has properties additional to those of the older betas.

Anyway, I was on the next to lowest dosage at 5mg. Disatolic was 55-65 while on the drug. However, heart rate ranged 39-49. This heart rate alarmed my new MD -- the previous docs didn't seem concerned -- so he removed the drug.

Heart rate is now in the lower 60s, but unfortunately diastolic pressure has jumped to the 70s.

In other words, the conclusion I draw is that Bystolic lowered my diastolic 10-20mm.

Old 10-06-2016, 10:55 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
70 is a healthy normal. Why were you put on drugs?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-06-2016, 11:40 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,247,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
One of my BP meds was a new age beta blocker called Bystolic which was introduced just a few yrs. ago. It has properties additional to those of the older betas.

Anyway, I was on the next to lowest dosage at 5mg. Disatolic was 55-65 while on the drug. However, heart rate ranged 39-49. This heart rate alarmed my new MD -- the previous docs didn't seem concerned -- so he removed the drug.

Heart rate is now in the lower 60s, but unfortunately diastolic pressure has jumped to the 70s.

In other words, the conclusion I draw is that Bystolic lowered my diastolic 10-20mm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
70 is a healthy normal. Why were you put on drugs?

HBP since age 35, now age 72.

Systolic 120-140 even with drugs; without drugs would be much higher. However, systolic has not risen with Bystolic withdrawal, just the diastolic.

The other drug is Losartan potassium which, unfortunately, plays hell with electrolytes: serum Na is below normal while serum K is above.

You can't win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness