Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 06:32 PM

4 posts, read 10,266 times

Advertisements

I dislike baths and showers. I probably shower once every few weeks, and bathe my kids every few weeks too. It's been about 3 weeks since my last shower and my hair is starting to feel a little greasy so it might be time. If we get visibly dirty or sweaty, I'll rinse us off with plain water. We do wipe certain areas (armpits, butt, etc) every day with water and apply some coconut oil. We just got through the past several months without even a cold. I really can't remember the last time we were sick, it has to be over a year. I hardly wash my hands, except in a public restroom or after touching raw meat or getting crap on my hands.

I used to shower all the time, and be very strict about baths everyday for the kids and always use antibacterial and bleach everything. We got sick a lot more, and winter was basically one long cold. Now we just clean everything with water, maybe a little vinegar if I'm feeling extra clean. I do bleach the inside of the toilet or the counter/sink if there has been raw meat there..... and no sickness or colds to speak of.

Why, when we go against all modern notions of personal hygiene, have we not gotten some horrible illness or been sick at all? Is the whole shower/wash hands/antibacterial soap thing a total scam? I see my friends sanitizing their kids hands all the time, and they are always getting sick.

Old 05-30-2016, 06:38 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
I never bought into the anti bacterial soap come on scam....they gotta keep inventing new stuff for americans to spend their money on and buy things they "think" they need. I agree with so much of what you say and I showered every day for 40+ yrs but NOW......no way. I have my ways of keeping myself clean. Happy to hear you have all been well. I'm never sick, but nasty OA keeps me down.

Also MOST tap waters are loaded with chlorine and fluoride and other lovely chemicals. My thinking too our skin gets loaded with all these chemicals and so much poor health in our country.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 05-30-2016 at 07:39 PM..

Old 05-30-2016, 06:43 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,997,633 times
Oh my....I'm not into the "anti-bacterial" stuff, either...but there is NO way I'd go even a day between baths or showers or some sort of washing!

You cannot "sanitize" yourself, nor should you try! But, a quick wash off with a bit of soap won't hurt you OR your immune system! Think of those around you, who have to look at you and smell you...please!

Old 05-30-2016, 06:48 PM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubletroubletime View Post
I dislike baths and showers. I probably shower once every few weeks, and bathe my kids every few weeks too. It's been about 3 weeks since my last shower and my hair is starting to feel a little greasy so it might be time. If we get visibly dirty or sweaty, I'll rinse us off with plain water. We do wipe certain areas (armpits, butt, etc) every day with water and apply some coconut oil. We just got through the past several months without even a cold. I really can't remember the last time we were sick, it has to be over a year. I hardly wash my hands, except in a public restroom or after touching raw meat or getting crap on my hands.

I used to shower all the time, and be very strict about baths everyday for the kids and always use antibacterial and bleach everything. We got sick a lot more, and winter was basically one long cold. Now we just clean everything with water, maybe a little vinegar if I'm feeling extra clean. I do bleach the inside of the toilet or the counter/sink if there has been raw meat there..... and no sickness or colds to speak of.

Why, when we go against all modern notions of personal hygiene, have we not gotten some horrible illness or been sick at all? Is the whole shower/wash hands/antibacterial soap thing a total scam? I see my friends sanitizing their kids hands all the time, and they are always getting sick.
I sure hope you don't work closely with anyone.

I shower daily, and often twice a day ( I work out at lunch) and wash my hands at home. I rarely get sick.
I'll stick with my routine. You stick with yours.

Old 05-30-2016, 10:00 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
I agree with you, for the most part. Exposure to some dirt and germs strengthens the immune system.

We bathe more often than you, but not every day (except for my husband, who is a mechanic and really needs to wash off the grease, dirt and sweat every day). We live in a dry climate and for me, a twice-a-week shower and shampoo is sufficient. I understand that it is different for people who live in hot, humid climates. But, this works for us, and we don't smell, either.

I started this when my children were babies, as I had observed that several of my friends' babies had a bath every single day and were not allowed to play on the ground or with animals. These children were frequently sick and also developed asthma and allergies, and I suspected that there might be a connection. I bathed my babies once a week and let them crawl on the ground with the dog and cats. Of course their faces, hands, and diaper area were wiped frequently, but apart from that, I never saw the reason for the daily bath.

My children are now 16, 13, and 11. We don't use hand sanitizer. I don't bleach anything. We don't get flu shots. The upshot: We almost never get sick. One child has had one antibiotic once, as the doctor noticed a mild asymptomatic ear infection during a routine exam. (In retrospect, I probably should have declined that antibiotic). I have never taken a child to the doctor for an illness. We have no allergies, no asthma. Maybe we would have been this healthy anyway, but the lack of what some people would consider "sanitation" obviously has not hurt.

Old 05-30-2016, 10:33 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
WHile I believe that exposure to "dirt" keeps our immune systems on their toes, I would NOT go that long without bathing. Are your kids in school? Do the teachers or other kids complain about the stench? I'd worry more about my kids' social adjustments than not taking a bath!

Old 05-30-2016, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post

I started this when my children were babies, as I had observed that several of my friends' babies had a bath every single day and were not allowed to play on the ground or with animals. These children were frequently sick and also developed asthma and allergies, and I suspected that there might be a connection. I bathed my babies once a week and let them crawl on the ground with the dog and cats. Of course their faces, hands, and diaper area were wiped frequently, but apart from that, I never saw the reason for the daily bath.
My son has many food allergies. But I suspect those were from the massive amounts of antibiotics I was given for the c-section and the antibiotics I was on twice during pregnancy. When I read about the connection between antibiotics, being too sanitary, and allergies, we started to change things. He's never been on antibiotics himself though. I'm pregnant again and doing everything I can to avoid antibiotics and a c-section this time around.

Old 05-30-2016, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
WHile I believe that exposure to "dirt" keeps our immune systems on their toes, I would NOT go that long without bathing. Are your kids in school? Do the teachers or other kids complain about the stench? I'd worry more about my kids' social adjustments than not taking a bath!
The kids are not in school yet. But we do have many friends we visit a lot, and there doesn't seem to be a decline in invitations since I changed our habits. We have no problems making friends. My husband swears we don't stink, and wonders how I do it. He reeks if he doesn't shower everyday, also is overweight though. But, I know that he could just be used to the smell.... Sometimes I feel like asking a random stranger, "Hey, do I stink?" I've asked family members who are not with us a lot, and they swear that we don't stink, but I wonder if they are being polite

Old 05-30-2016, 11:21 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
To each their own. I don't like that smell people, kids included, get on them when they haven't showered for awhile. I shower because it's relaxing and it feels good. People who get armpit odor need to use an aluminum based deodorant. Yes, you do smell. The aluminum won't kill you.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:09 AM

37 posts, read 33,649 times
I think what you say makes sense. A guy at work that would use wipes for everything and kept his desk spotless seemed to be sick the most in the office. But body oder for adults is a problem. Seems to be worse with older men who seem to think they don't need to shower very often and stink. That is rude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness