Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2008, 04:03 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,584,379 times

Advertisements

Investigation follows 4 deaths, hundreds of 'reactions'

The U.S. government is investigating a Chinese manufacturing plant as a possible source of the problems with a Baxter International brand name blood thinner that has been linked to four deaths and hundreds of allergic reactions.

According to a report by the Associated Press, the Food and Drug Administration is looking into "all possible sources of the problem" that has developed in recent weeks with the use of the drug heparin, which is sold by Baxter and used by patients in danger of having their blood clot.

China-made blood thinner killing Americans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 12:51 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,280,890 times
People shouldn't be taking blood thinner meds anyway. There's a good example. A better natural blood thinner is "raw organic apple cider vinegar." 1-2 teaspoons 2-3 times a day works wonders and no side-effects.
I swear it feels like China is out to kill us all!

Old 04-09-2008, 06:53 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,691,582 times
The news this morning puts the death count at around 100, due to new information related to this drug.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:23 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,425,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
People shouldn't be taking blood thinner meds anyway. There's a good example. A better natural blood thinner is "raw organic apple cider vinegar." 1-2 teaspoons 2-3 times a day works wonders and no side-effects.
I'm all for alternative medicine if it works...My fiance takes coumadin and believe me doctor's and drug companies aren't really getting rich off of that since it's been a generic for a long time. Is there any proof (not evidence) that apple cider vinegar works?

Old 04-09-2008, 10:35 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,224,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
I'm all for alternative medicine if it works...My fiance takes coumadin and believe me doctor's and drug companies aren't really getting rich off of that since it's been a generic for a long time. Is there any proof (not evidence) that apple cider vinegar works?
No there is no evidence or proof that apple cider vinegar works as a blood thinner.

Contrary to what Pink string stated there are myriad GOOD reasons for people to be taking anticoagulants. These are life saving medications for many folks and there is no herbal alternative that can reproducibly and reliably offer that level of control in anticoagulation that is offered by coumadin and heparin.

Although I suppose one could argue that hirudin which is now being used is a natural product, though it is a bioengineered form of the product.

It is unfortunate that some drug manufacturers are farming out production of life saving drugs to countries that don't have the necessary oversight to produce these medications. Best thing to come of this would be return of manufacturing of medications to this country.

Last point, if everyone in the US currently taking an anticoagulant were to follow the advice of "just stop taking it", there would be many, many, many more deaths than whatever is currently attributed to the heparin issue.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:07 PM

67 posts, read 199,035 times
Well here's just my assumptions guys.
maybe i'm right but maybe i'm wrong.
Have you noticed that in the news lately that China is the "new" enemy of US?
First it was Iraq, Afghanistan.
then that turned out to be mainly for oil.
Now it's China?.....can anyone guess why?
because China's is buying a lot of large companies.
they're bidding on buyin Exxcon oil.
Basically China might be running the world and may be the next super power.
1st it was Russian, then US, well we have to keep it that way so we have to make China the new enemy.
Thats just my view.
I'm probably wrong but you never know, this world is run by $$ and $$ has blinded the children of Adam.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:41 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,425,454 times
China is a superpower. Thay are communist, have 1 billion plus people, and dont give a crap about anything except selling us dvd players, rubber dog poop, and toys laced with GHB.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:16 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,133,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Pinkstring, for the normally healthy person it can be beneficial to take apple cider vinegar daily, just as it is to drink red wine in moderation. Both of these have anti-clotting components that can help prevent heart disease.

However, if you have been put on a regimen of therapeutic aspirin (80mg), coumadin, plavix or any other drug meant to keep you from suffering heart attack or stroke, you take a huge risk with your life by not taking the medication.

There are 13 components in your blood plasma that affect blood clotting, a necessary event to keep from bleeding to death. There are 3 ways that these medications can affect your blood clotting factor and depending on what your medical problem is, you may have to take one or more of these medications to keep a life-threatening clot from forming. Apple cider vinegar is not what I would prescribe to a patient who is at risk for a heart attack, stroke or who has had valve replacement surgery.

I have a blood-clotting disorder (antiphoslipid antibody syndrome) as a result of lupus. I must take 3 different meds because they all act differently on the blood clotting mechanism in the blood. Some meds inhibit Vitamin K which assists in blood clotting, some make the blood platelets less sticky to prevent clots from forming, others inhibit thrombin, which causes clots to form in another way, and so on.

Thirteen KNOWN factors in blood clots. Which of these do wine and apple cider vinegar affect? The research is still out on the how. So, it wouldn't be wise for anyone taking any prescribed drug for their particular heart condition to switch to vinegar or red wine - it may not treat their condition at all.

We can exchange information on a thread such as this, but it is vital that you always check with your health care provider before changing any medicine, herbals, vitamins, etc. while under care for any condition. You may save a life - your own.

Thank you, by the way, John. Informative and timely, as always.

Old 04-26-2008, 04:26 AM

1 posts, read 7,377 times
Thanks for the post, Gemkeeper. I also have APS, and have been on Coumadin for years. I came on to see if there was an alternative to the prescription thinners, because now I have other health problems, including cancer, that might be helped by the antioxidants and phyto-substances that one dare not take while on Coumadin.

Also, you take THREE things for blood thinning? I would love to know more.

Thanks.

Old 04-26-2008, 03:27 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,576,519 times
I don't understand with China's record.. WHY is the USA still importing anything from them! They have already proven they do NOT care about our rules or if what they make is safe for humans or animals or not.

Just on TV last night, a dentist outsources his patients dentures to me made in China and one lady got terriably sick from them. They had lead or something equally as dangerous in them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness