Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 09:32 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,054,901 times

Advertisements

What do you think about these different types of physicians? My new PCP will be a DO (doctor of osteopathy) and it will be the first time for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 10:05 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,180,565 times
I think for a PCP (and a great many other specialties), it doesn't matter. DO's have been getting trained in much more evidenced based medicine approaches now for years, and the differences between them and allopathic (MD) have started to dissipate rapidly.

I actually just started with a Board Certified Internist as my primary provider. No medical reason I need to do so; I just thought it would be a good change for me now that I'm in my mid 40's. Her office is quiet and less hectic than most Family Practice groups I know. And I like that it's all adult patients. I spend plenty of time with my kids in waiting rooms, I don't want to do that at my own appointments too.

Old 06-16-2016, 02:03 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,731,407 times
I've seen a D.O. for years for my back issues, he's gone now. But I see a young D.O. now for bodywork and she definitely talks more herbs etc....I have my daughter and grandkids seeing her too, and a good friend goes to her...she's definitely more into "holistic" vs allopathic drugs. I may stop for a while with the bodywork as pain seems to be flaring with the OA issues I live with.

My regular MD is an integrative MD for labs and general check ups. I'm due to see her soon.

My total preference for my healing is holistic vs allopathic drugs....

Old 06-17-2016, 05:10 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
What do you think about these different types of physicians? My new PCP will be a DO (doctor of osteopathy) and it will be the first time for me.
I just switched from an MD to a DO and am very happy. She is part of a 4 doctor office; all ae DO. the office is busy and she was recommended to me by several people in our church. I think the old idea of what an DO was and today are very different. it seems they are getting more popular than in years past. Don't worry, go with an open mind and be prepared to see very little difference between the new doctor and your old MD.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:17 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
I chose a DO, however, he practices the same as an MD. The only thing is, he is a bit more open-minded when it comes to alternative healing (like acupuncture) and supplements. Otherwise he seems pretty traditional. I don't thing there are many DO's today who practice like they used to, especially if they are part of a large medical network like mine is.

Old 06-17-2016, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I chose a DO, however, he practices the same as an MD. The only thing is, he is a bit more open-minded when it comes to alternative healing (like acupuncture) and supplements. Otherwise he seems pretty traditional. I don't thing there are many DO's today who practice like they used to, especially if they are part of a large medical network like mine is.
I have found pretty much the same thing. They used to be considered almost between a MD and a chiropractor. Mine is just like any other doctor except maybe, more inclined to let me make my own decisions. She still suggests lab tests, recently ordered a stomach and pelvic CT for me, etc.

Old 06-18-2016, 02:21 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,290,783 times
Default Food for Thought

There are a lot of misperceptions regarding D.O.'s and the medical education system in general. I am an M.D. who graduated from Stanford. I am currently a clinical professor at both a D.O. and M.D. school and have both D.O. and M.D. residents and medical students on service.

D.O.'s are medical doctors just like M.D.'s. D.O. are osteopaths and M.D.'s are allopaths. Both are medical doctors that learn traditional medicine. The difference is the D.O.'s learn an additional manipulation skill called O.M.T. (Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment). D.O.'s are eligible to sit for the United States Medical Licensing Exam (USMLE) which only M.D. and D.O.'s are eligible to sit for. D.O.'s are eligible to enter M.D. residencies and training programs. D.O.'s can even serve as attendings (teachers) and program directors of M.D. residency programs. Yes, there are a lot of D.O.'s who serve as faculty for M.D.'s. Chiropractors, Podiatrists, Naturopaths, Homeopaths, Nurse Practioners, and Physician Assistants are not eligible to partake in any of these.

Not all M.D.'s were trained in U.S. medical schools. Nearly 1/3 of all M.D.'s in the United States attended medical school in a foreign country. Medical education is not standardized and taught the same way in foreign medical schools. They often differ in length, curriculum, course material, and clinical experience. Many Americans attend foreign medical schools such as Ross, St. George, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland. D.O.'s have more in common with traditional graduate of American medical schools than M.D. from many foreign medical schools.

The public seems to place too much emphasis on a physician's medical school. The public should be more concerned where someone went to residency more than what medical school he or she attended. During residency, a physician dedicates 3-8 years to learning their field. . There are D.O. 'swho trained at Harvard, the Mayo Clinic, the Cleveland Clinic etc. And there are M.D. 's who trained at podunk hospitals. In terms of prestige and level of training, you are better off seeing the DO who trained at the Mayo Clinic than the M.D. who trained at some ordinary program.

Regarding the practice of holistic medicine, alternative medicine and integretative medicine, that has nothing to do with whether a physician is an M.D. or D.O. There are M.D. who practice integrative medicine and there are D.O.s who practice strict evidence based medicine. Don't assume that because you are seeing a D.O. that he or she will be more accepting of alternative medicine. Likewise, the decision to allow patients to have more say in their care has nothing to do with a provider's initials either. That has everything to do with the personality of the provider you are seeing.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 06-18-2016 at 03:22 AM..

Old 06-18-2016, 06:11 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Before my stupid insurance plan forced me to change doctors (hmmmm...seems like I recall someone saying "If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor"), I was going to a DO and I absolutely loved her. DO's are definitely my preference.

That being said, when I was forced to change not only my doctor but my entire medical system to another hospital, I was assigned to a PCP. I have yet to meet him, but meanwhile, his PA has been in charge of my medical care (I don't have anything serious going on but I do have a few little issues that require some overseeing and ongoing treatment). I am very pleasantly surprised! This PA is MUCH more holistic and "natural" based than any MD I've ever been to, and he is very thorough and like my former DO, he looks at the overall, entire body and system carefully.

At this point in my life, my preferences would be, in this order:

DO
PA
MD

I honestly feel like many MDs are glorified pill pushers when it comes to minor issues. But I am not "anti MD" when it comes to major illnesses or injuries. I think all of the above have their place and can do a terrific job depending on their education, experience, and personalities.

One thing I really do like about the PA I usually see is that for some reason, he seems to have more time - and more inclination - to truly listen to me, and to be more thorough and thoughtful. I am sure that this being a satellite clinic in a small bedroom community and therefore less congested and crowded makes a difference but whatever - I sure do like it. I am personally tired of being run through a clinic or appointment like one of fifty cows through a gate.

Old 06-18-2016, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Before my stupid insurance plan forced me to change doctors (hmmmm...seems like I recall someone saying "If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor"), I was going to a DO and I absolutely loved her. DO's are definitely my preference.

That being said, when I was forced to change not only my doctor but my entire medical system to another hospital, I was assigned to a PCP. I have yet to meet him, but meanwhile, his PA has been in charge of my medical care (I don't have anything serious going on but I do have a few little issues that require some overseeing and ongoing treatment). I am very pleasantly surprised! This PA is MUCH more holistic and "natural" based than any MD I've ever been to, and he is very thorough and like my former DO, he looks at the overall, entire body and system carefully.

At this point in my life, my preferences would be, in this order:

DO
PA
MD

I honestly feel like many MDs are glorified pill pushers when it comes to minor issues. But I am not "anti MD" when it comes to major illnesses or injuries. I think all of the above have their place and can do a terrific job depending on their education, experience, and personalities.

One thing I really do like about the PA I usually see is that for some reason, he seems to have more time - and more inclination - to truly listen to me, and to be more thorough and thoughtful. I am sure that this being a satellite clinic in a small bedroom community and therefore less congested and crowded makes a difference but whatever - I sure do like it. I am personally tired of being run through a clinic or appointment like one of fifty cows through a gate.
you might want to add to your list: nurse practitioner; they are very similar to PAs:

Old 06-18-2016, 11:07 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you might want to add to your list: nurse practitioner; they are very similar to PAs:
Maybe so. I have been to a nurse practitioner (when I was pregnant) and she did a great job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness