Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 11:43 PM

1 posts, read 5,784 times

Advertisements

At age 51, I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia. My chief complaint was the horrible heartburn. Meds failed so surgery was recommended. In April of 2006 I had a laproscopic "nissan fundoplication". All was well for about 6 months, then began having excrutiating pain in my neck and chest following meals. Tests showed my stomach had torn through my diaphram and was now partially in my chest cavity. When the doc had done the operation, he noticed my diaphram was thin and considered patching it, but made the decision not to. March of 2007, I was back in the hospital having major surgery. An 8 inch cut was made and a different doctor redid the nissan, fixed my esophagus and patched my diaphram. As a result of the operations, I now have gastroparesis (paralyzed stomach) and cannot eat and drink like a normal person. I am again scheduled for yet another surgery to try and help this new condition. The "idiot" doctors always comment that I haven't lost any weight and I have to remind them that I chew bubble gum constantly and eat mostly chocolate. If I do manage to get any real food down, it makes me very nauseous but a side effect of the nissan is the inability to vomit. Life is no longer much fun. Most families get together for holidays and picnics, etc... not me. Anyway, I'm not looking for sympathy, just want any of you who may read this to know that "heartburn is not that bad". There are much worse things. Sometimes the cure is worse than the condition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 09:03 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,689,797 times
Don't know if this would help the hiatal hernia, but it does help GERD. I read a couple years ago in a medical article that sleeping on your left side keeps the flap on your stomach/esophagus closed, and reclining on the right side will allow it to flop open. I tried it and it really does make a noticeable difference. Sometimes I also had to sleep on double pillows (or more) to get relief. Try your left side and see if it helps you.

Old 04-17-2008, 04:28 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,446,142 times
Sleeping on my left side makes some difference for me, too. I keep several pillows on the bed, and can use them, or push them away as needed.

Try to eat meals early. Smaller meals throughout the day is best, but a larger lunch is better than a large dinner, if you cannot spread your meals out. Avoid greasy, fried foods. Chocolate, nuts, and some fruits and vegetables will also aggravate the situation. Orange juice and other acidic drinks can be bad, too.

Old 04-17-2008, 04:58 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,921,886 times
Started to have stomach problems in Korea 1951. Always had heartburn and ate tums like candy. 5 yrs ago the VA hospital did a upper and lower Endoscopy due to my history of esophageal varices, (continued heartburn). Have in front of me the 7 color images taken in the stomach area showing the hiatal hernia. Bottom line was they eventually did a Hemroidectomy and NO HEARTBURN since. It was like having a sore finger all the time but the problem was at the other end of the spectrum. A thought to consider that the problem is in an other area maybe? Stefhen

Old 05-26-2008, 12:53 AM

1 posts, read 5,747 times
I've assumed for ages that I have GER. Lately, it's getting so bad. At night I wake up choking on something. Hard to get my breath when it happens. For a while, prilosec helped if I took one every day. Now the pain just below my xyphoid process is so so terrible. At times, the chest pain is so bad, I could almost swear it's cardiac.
Prilosec isn't helping like it was at first.
Haven't seen a doc, just self medicating like an idiot.
I smoke, drink cokes like there's no tomorrow.
I love coke.
I love chocolate too.

Oh Lord, I'm a mess.

Solution: Live style changes? Diet modifications?
Go see the doc?

I can't sleep now due to the burning and pain.

help

Old 05-26-2008, 08:29 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,921,886 times
Well I'm going to sound like a MD on this one but don't mean to be one. Your symptons sound familiar to what I had long time ago. Chocolate is a NO NO!!!; TO much coca cola a NO NO; NO FOOD OR DRINK after 7 P.M. before bedtime. Your not allowing your stomach to relax and digest your evening meal; NO SNACKS PERIOD; NO MILK; Even a glass or two of water before retireing can cause reflux; Sounds like a ACID REFLUX problem and a HIATIC ULCER. Go cold turkey on these suggestions before going to MD might be a solution. Wish you well. Steve

Old 07-02-2008, 12:19 AM

11 posts, read 39,927 times
I do have an esophageal hernia and GERD. The doctor I went to that did the Upper Endoscopy found a bulge in my esphogus. I asked her if it was a serious issue and she made it sound like it wasn't a problem. It does make me wonder though. I have taken (in order) all the over the counter acid reducers like Pepcid AC, Protonix, Nexium, Aciphex and now Prilosec. The acid reducers don't do anything for me but I do have good luck with the proton pump inhibitors. Protonix and Prilosec do a okay, Aciphex a better job and Nexium does a perfect job. However, currently I have switched to Prilosec becuase of the lack of insurance worth anything. If I have breakfast it is small. I do drink coffee which agravates it until I eat something for lunch. Lunch is my big meal of the day. I eat something small and bland for dinner early and make sure I don't drink anything three hours or so before bedtime. So far it is in check. My sphincter at the top of my stomach is paralyzed open so anything that goes down will come up if I don't lay at a good angle. Before I changed to Nexium I was waking up in the middle of the night inhaling stomach acid. Pure hell. Now I might wake up to just liquids in stomach being inhaled. No acid in it. Not comfortable but certainly more acceptable. For the last year or so I have been getting these strange and painful cramp like feelings in my neck and collar bone area with my chest getting tight as if someone just grabs it and squeezes it. The pain is not in my throat but rather the muscles in my neck. I don't have a clue as to what it is or even really how to explain it but I feel it is related to all of this. People tell me to get the surgery to sew a flap at the top of my stomach and have hernia taken care of while they in there. Who can afford this? Certainly not me. Anyway, I'll stop ranting.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:59 PM

278 posts, read 802,405 times
I haven't been on these boards in a while, but I HAD to tell my story with this......diagnosed with hiatal hernia 3 years ago at age 40. I had acid reflux so bad that even a glass of water would not go down right. Tried the prescription meds (Prilosec, Prevacid) that only worked for a short time and the reflux was back again, along with pain in the upper chest and back. In doing extensive research, here's what I found: most people don't have ENOUGH stomach acid, therefore cannot digest food properly, which leads to fermentation in the gut. Solutions: 1 TBS of apple cider vinegar in an 8oz glass of water with meals, or even when reflux appears at any time of day, food or not. It is especially important to chew your food well and eat slowly! Digestion begins in the mouth, so wolfing down whole chunks of food is not a good idea. Sleeping on the left side is helpful also. I have not had any problems with reflux since I started doing these things, and I feel a heck of a lot better! Hope this helps....

Old 07-10-2008, 02:45 PM

68 posts, read 187,638 times
Default Hiatal Hernia

I had a hiatal hernia and had to have surgical repair 5 years ago. Symtoms- extreme chest pain within the first or second bite of a meal and could not eat the meal. Never knew when this would occur but it became frequesnt enought I knew I needed to see my MD to find out what was wrong. Dx tests- Gallbladder scan-negative, Upper GI-MD saw that 2/3 of my stomach was above my diaphragm and refered my to surgeon. Tx- surgery, overnite in ICU for observation, a week in hospital and 5-6 weeks recuperating (not fun). You really need to see your MD for dx and treatment.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,603 times
Wink Me too

Hello, I noticed you said you have pain in your clavicle and neck area, me too, I have been diagnosed with a hiatul hernia and mitral valve Prolapse. I was wondering if you found out what it was. Your the first one that describes what I'm feeling. Pinching and pain near my clavicle bones. Thank you for responding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveN. View Post
I do have an esophageal hernia and GERD. The doctor I went to that did the Upper Endoscopy found a bulge in my esphogus. I asked her if it was a serious issue and she made it sound like it wasn't a problem. It does make me wonder though. I have taken (in order) all the over the counter acid reducers like Pepcid AC, Protonix, Nexium, Aciphex and now Prilosec. The acid reducers don't do anything for me but I do have good luck with the proton pump inhibitors. Protonix and Prilosec do a okay, Aciphex a better job and Nexium does a perfect job. However, currently I have switched to Prilosec becuase of the lack of insurance worth anything. If I have breakfast it is small. I do drink coffee which agravates it until I eat something for lunch. Lunch is my big meal of the day. I eat something small and bland for dinner early and make sure I don't drink anything three hours or so before bedtime. So far it is in check. My sphincter at the top of my stomach is paralyzed open so anything that goes down will come up if I don't lay at a good angle. Before I changed to Nexium I was waking up in the middle of the night inhaling stomach acid. Pure hell. Now I might wake up to just liquids in stomach being inhaled. No acid in it. Not comfortable but certainly more acceptable. For the last year or so I have been getting these strange and painful cramp like feelings in my neck and collar bone area with my chest getting tight as if someone just grabs it and squeezes it. The pain is not in my throat but rather the muscles in my neck. I don't have a clue as to what it is or even really how to explain it but I feel it is related to all of this. People tell me to get the surgery to sew a flap at the top of my stomach and have hernia taken care of while they in there. Who can afford this? Certainly not me. Anyway, I'll stop ranting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness