Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 12:21 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelva View Post
I don't get flu shots. *IF* I do get a cold (sometimes) I up my immune system support a bit, and I use Zicam, etc, at any sign of sniffles.

I used to work at UCDavis, School of Medicine - (and of course they stressed the flu shot each year). So, I asked a professor (of infectious disease) her opinion (knowledge) of whether those peeps vaccinated might still be 'CARRIERS' of FLU BUGS. She thought so -- and I think she said I might also ask immunology.

I just thought - here you are working at a medical facility (but I worked in admin) - where everyone thinks all medical staff have had the flu shot (and are "SAFE") but if you can still be a carrier, then, unless you are decontaminating between each and every patient and visitor you meet and greet, etc, you might still be 'hosting' the bug around!!
The influenza vaccine only protects against the strains in the vaccine, so certainly you can get a strain that is not in the vaccine.

Many people are infected with influenza and have no symptoms from it. People with no symptoms may have a lower viral load. Certainly if they are not coughing and sneezing they are probably not going to spread as much virus as someone who leaves a trail of dirty tissues wherever he goes.

Old 10-16-2016, 01:27 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times
I haven't' in recent years. I kept getting sick. Now I avoid crowds and coughing people and I just keep Tamiflu handy and pop it like mad if I get a scratchy throat.

Old 10-16-2016, 04:24 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,341,960 times
I would recommend that you keep some electrolyte drinks handy, especially if you're not getting the flu shot and if you live alone. It's very easy to dehydrate when you have the flu and are in bed aching all over and don't want to move because it hurts too much. I've been through it. Now I get the flu shot every year.

Old 10-16-2016, 08:04 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
The Flu vaccine affected me quite badly a few years ago.. with pain all down my left side of my chest, it started the day I got the injection and lasted for a few weeks.. so Ill never have it again..

Old 10-16-2016, 08:45 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
Thousands of people die of influenza every year.

Not everyone who is vaccinated will get immunity. On the other hand, eating nutritional supplements will not strengthen your immune system and prevent you from being infected if you are exposed.

Unless you have a medical contraindication, like the OP, the best thing to do is to get vaccinated.

Old 10-16-2016, 08:58 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
My company was offering them, but not driving 110 miles just for a "Free" shot...

Old 10-16-2016, 10:41 AM

619 posts, read 575,514 times
(i'm in my mid-50s)

I've never had the flu shot. I don't get sick a lot (I think I had the flu maybe 10 times in my life). I wash my hands a lot, use the gel when I can't wash my hands, take an OTC cold-blocker med if i even feel something coming on. I eat well, drink a lot of water, and exercise a lot. I believe that these actions, combined with apparently a fair immune system, help me stay healthy.

If i see that I get the flu a lot in the coming years, i will probably rethink. I know people who do get the shot and have bad reactions or they end up getting a different flu (one that the shot doesn't protect against)

Old 10-16-2016, 11:43 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
I'm 78, had asian flu at 18 and maybe a mild flu over the years. No vaccines for at least 30 yrs and lots of Vit C and OPC's and for me no colds/flu/no vaccines.

Old 10-16-2016, 12:11 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I'm 78, had asian flu at 18 and maybe a mild flu over the years. No vaccines for at least 30 yrs and lots of Vit C and OPC's and for me no colds/flu/no vaccines.

You also, admittedly, don't leave the house a lot.

So not getting a flu shot kinda makes sense for you.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-16-2016, 12:15 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shira_k View Post
(i'm in my mid-50s)

I've never had the flu shot. I don't get sick a lot (I think I had the flu maybe 10 times in my life). I wash my hands a lot, use the gel when I can't wash my hands, take an OTC cold-blocker med if i even feel something coming on. I eat well, drink a lot of water, and exercise a lot. I believe that these actions, combined with apparently a fair immune system, help me stay healthy.

If i see that I get the flu a lot in the coming years, i will probably rethink. I know people who do get the shot and have bad reactions or they end up getting a different flu (one that the shot doesn't protect against)

Had influenza 10 times!???!!! That's A LOT.

I think this demonstrates the problem, I'm guessing, you don't really know what the flu is, or you would never risk getting it 10 times. I'm not insulting you, I find a lot of people call a bunch of things the flu that are not.

I've had it maybe 3 times in my life (50 here) and that motivates me sufficiently to get a shot every year.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness