Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 01:10 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
You also, admittedly, don't leave the house a lot.

So not getting a flu shot kinda makes sense for you.
I have NOT gotten a flu shot for over 30 yrs and not sitting in my house for 30 yrs. In recent yrs since hip mess, yes I'm in more, but prior to that I was out in the maddening world of it all. Wish you would tell my whole story.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 10-16-2016 at 01:24 PM..

Old 10-16-2016, 01:59 PM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
without
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I have NOT gotten a flu shot for over 30 yrs and not sitting in my house for 30 yrs. In recent yrs since hip mess, yes I'm in more, but prior to that I was out in the maddening world of it all. Wish you would tell my whole story.
I hear ya, and many other Seniors do also. I retired at the age of 62 from public school, but I am hardly isolated. My kids and grandkids live in another state a 1,000 miles away. I go on planes, also driving up, multiple times a year and we don't sit in the house isolated up there either. We go into NYC in crowds riding subways, etc., taking the grandkids here, there, and everywhere.

I can understand your problem but 10 years your junior without medical injuries or medications, I get stir crazy just staying in my house being retired. I can and have to MOVE even if that includes spending hours just walking around a mall locally with a LOT of people.

Do airlines, and subways, require all passengers get a flu shot?Mikala 43, so what is the reason I don't get the flu either never having had a flu shot ever? Think JFK International and the NYC Subway System. 90% there have had flu shots for herd immunity is why I haven't gotten the flu in decades?

Last edited by Jo48; 10-16-2016 at 02:08 PM..

Old 10-16-2016, 02:23 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
without

I hear ya, and many other Seniors do also. I retired at the age of 62 from public school, but I am hardly isolated. My kids and grandkids live in another state a 1,000 miles away. I go on planes, also driving up, multiple times a year and we don't sit in the house isolated up there either. We go into NYC in crowds riding subways, etc., taking the grandkids here, there, and everywhere.

I can understand your problem but 10 years your junior without medical injuries or medications, I get stir crazy just staying in my house being retired. I can and have to MOVE even if that includes spending hours just walking around a mall locally with a LOT of people.

Do airlines, and subways, require all passengers get a flu shot?Mikala 43, so what is the reason I don't get the flu either never having had a flu shot ever? Think JFK International and the NYC Subway System. 90% there have had flu shots for herd immunity is why I haven't gotten the flu in decades?
Jo, yes I'm 10 yrs older and NEVER was at home in my years before hip mess in 2010. Now, I'm content as I can't fight it anymore. I do my best and go out for bridge, markets, rehab clinic etc. but can honestly say anyway, I don't miss the maddening mess out on our roads and the thought of an airport ... can't imagine that. Our town has gotten so crowded with traffic and tourists, it's insane from when I arrived here in the 60's...

My daughter who is 53 is at it raising 2 children and she's forever taking them somewhere, doing something for them...their father died of cancer a few yrs ago at 55.

So we're all where we are and where we've been. Plus even if I felt great and walked with a lot of ease, I'm low income senior so stretch my money for what I NEED and WANT in my life. If I could walk with ease, I'd be out in our beautiful weather walking to the ocean. But when I walk a little, I'm set back for a while.

Today is my day for self acupuncture so time for the needles and listening to the Prolo MD on the radio.

Take care..

I was in sales for a decade and travelled much of the US driving and flying all over the place..did it and glad I did and could but am now doing the contentment phase of life.

Old 10-16-2016, 02:56 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,341,475 times
The best way I can describe getting the flu is with this analogy.

A real bad viral cold is like being in a storm.

The flu is like being in a hurricane.

You'll know the difference. After getting hit with the flu, you'll be recovering for a couple of weeks or more.

Don't forget to stay hydrated, even though you won't feel like drinking, much less eating anything.

Old 10-16-2016, 03:14 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,579,807 times
Probably just a coincidence but I have only had two flu shots in my life and both years I got the flu.

Old 10-16-2016, 03:45 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Had influenza 10 times!???!!! That's A LOT.

I think this demonstrates the problem, I'm guessing, you don't really know what the flu is, or you would never risk getting it 10 times. I'm not insulting you, I find a lot of people call a bunch of things the flu that are not.

I've had it maybe 3 times in my life (50 here) and that motivates me sufficiently to get a shot every year.
Hahah - that's what I thought Mikala! I guess it's all relative but I've only had it a few times...still get the shot as it is cheap insurance and I've never gotten more than a sore arm from it.

Old 10-16-2016, 03:54 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
Flu is pretty rare. I've had it once that I can recall and I don't get the vaccine.

Old 10-16-2016, 04:32 PM

997 posts, read 937,105 times
I used to work in health care and the flu shot was encouraged every year, so I always got it. I retired early and nobody comes around and offers them to me anymore so I won't get one if it is a bother. If I happen to be at the flu shot place anyway then I will get one. They don't bother me but I did happen to find myself right in front of the flu shot place the other day so I got one. It still hurts a bit but I have no other symptoms. I also got the pneumonia shot this year because I happened to have an appointment, but I wouldn't go out of my way. Still, I would prefer not to get the flu or pneumonia and since I have no side effects it seems wise to take a precaution. I would predict that if I did get the flu I would be unhappy.

What they do is they vaccinate against the likely type of flu that they expect. It isn't all flu protection. I have had the shot and gotten the flu. When I didn't get the shot I didn't get the flu.

When I had little kids, then I got the shot because I had to think of them and I worked in a very germy place.

Old 10-16-2016, 04:53 PM

175 posts, read 203,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I can't get the flu shot, at least not the regular one because I have a reaction to the preservatives in it.
Just ask for single - dose, preservative free flu vaccine. You should be able to get that anywhere.

Old 10-16-2016, 05:02 PM

175 posts, read 203,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Flu is pretty rare. I've had it once that I can recall and I don't get the vaccine.
Flu is pretty rare? Really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.