Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 09:45 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
If you ever think that then change doctors. Seriously.

There is also a place on line where you can actually check that, so random accusations do not have to be made.
I'm speaking from personal experience. I did change doctors, twice. It was crazy. All I can think is there was some profit for them in diagnosing incorrectly and forcing their meds on me. Two different ones! (are you accusing me of random accusations?)

I agree dependence and addiction are two different things. But when you're body becomes dependent even to the small degree of feeling discomfort at withdrawing, whether you have addictive tendencies comes into play big time. It's that point of balance where you have to reel yourself in quickly or give in to the desire to continue usage. Addiction is an odd thing. It's not so very textbook. I do understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2016, 10:28 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,757,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Patient goes to the pharmacy and pays whatever their particular insurance plan says they should pay for that prescription...they aren't paying ME....I don't see a DIME from that transaction between the patient and the pharmacist....no "kickback"....no "fee"....nada...
I think that perception stems from stories of doctors earning cruises and such from drug companies by prescribing their medications. Not true, I'm assuming....

Old 11-11-2016, 02:49 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,105,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post

Patient goes to the pharmacy and pays whatever their particular insurance plan says they should pay for that prescription...they aren't paying ME....I don't see a DIME from that transaction between the patient and the pharmacist....no "kickback"....no "fee"....nada...
I believe you.

But those Reps sure know how to serve a great lunch!

Old 11-18-2016, 06:47 PM

5,362 posts, read 5,136,516 times
I think you did the right thing. It's those first initial signs you feels that you should pay attention to. Taking any significant amount of a drug is going to leave you depleted of something.

People can stress over semantics of what is addiction and dependence and withdrawal and yadayadayada, but ultimately it comes down to a benefit cost situation. A first dose in a low amount has the least amount of cost afterwards, but ones after that start to cost more.

For me, I know if I have > 100mg of caffeine, I'll have a slight headache and be somewhat irritable around 5-6:30 pm. If I take 10 mg of cannabis edible, I'm usually decent the next day, just a little foggy right away in the morning. If I take 4 or so 10mg doses over a day or 2, the next day I'll feel drained but fidgety, hungry but no appetite, and a lack of excitement. Basically an inverse of what I had with cannabis... Sometimes it's worth being awake at work or being immersed in nature with the after effects factored in, and sometimes its not.

As long as a person has sober breaks of a day or 2, you can reset the tolerance level (assuming you never had long periods of use). That is the biggest thing with any drug, including caffeine or NSAIDs, never develop a daily or frequent habit, and you avoid most of the downfalls.

I used hydrocodone recreationally, but I did 5mg (low dose) and never with less than 1 week between doses and I never had negative effects from it. I almost felt better the next day. But I could have totally had all the negative consequences if I took them back to back.

It doesn't take a textbook dependence of withdrawal to make a person want to abstain for a while. They should stop the moment they start to feel the after effects are not worth it. For me with caffeine, that's 1 dose only.

Old 11-18-2016, 08:06 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I think you did the right thing. It's those first initial signs you feels that you should pay attention to. Taking any significant amount of a drug is going to leave you depleted of something.

People can stress over semantics of what is addiction and dependence and withdrawal and yadayadayada, but ultimately it comes down to a benefit cost situation. A first dose in a low amount has the least amount of cost afterwards, but ones after that start to cost more.

For me, I know if I have > 100mg of caffeine, I'll have a slight headache and be somewhat irritable around 5-6:30 pm. If I take 10 mg of cannabis edible, I'm usually decent the next day, just a little foggy right away in the morning. If I take 4 or so 10mg doses over a day or 2, the next day I'll feel drained but fidgety, hungry but no appetite, and a lack of excitement. Basically an inverse of what I had with cannabis... Sometimes it's worth being awake at work or being immersed in nature with the after effects factored in, and sometimes its not.

As long as a person has sober breaks of a day or 2, you can reset the tolerance level (assuming you never had long periods of use). That is the biggest thing with any drug, including caffeine or NSAIDs, never develop a daily or frequent habit, and you avoid most of the downfalls.

I used hydrocodone recreationally, but I did 5mg (low dose) and never with less than 1 week between doses and I never had negative effects from it. I almost felt better the next day. But I could have totally had all the negative consequences if I took them back to back.

It doesn't take a textbook dependence of withdrawal to make a person want to abstain for a while. They should stop the moment they start to feel the after effects are not worth it. For me with caffeine, that's 1 dose only.
Seriously? Hydrocodone recreationally even though you never have taken it in the past for pain? So tell me what hydrocodone feels like with no pain to act on and what is the appeal?

I think humans are very weak when it comes down to "pleasurable things". Very few of us can ration ourselves by choice - if we have the money or the means to get that thing, we'll do it just about as much as we can get away with. That's why there are very few things I indulge in, just because I don't want to find myself in that place.

Old 11-26-2016, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Seriously? Hydrocodone recreationally even though you never have taken it in the past for pain? So tell me what hydrocodone feels like with no pain to act on and what is the appeal?

I think humans are very weak when it comes down to "pleasurable things". Very few of us can ration ourselves by choice - if we have the money or the means to get that thing, we'll do it just about as much as we can get away with. That's why there are very few things I indulge in, just because I don't want to find myself in that place.
We all like pleasurable things, but we know that things come with a cost, hence why we save our money to get the most bang for buck.

For me the appeal of hydrocodone was that it was the best for relaxing after a mentally taxing day. It was great for unwinding, talking a walk outside, seeing all the positive things around you, exercising, then going to bed for 10 hrs and waking up refreshed and charged up. Reason I never took it for pain was I never really got injured and my wisdom teeth extraction didn't hurt much.

Better than weed (cause your not all loopy and ADDish and functional) and hands down better than alcohol IMO, but like I said, I knew the horrors of what happened with overuse, so I avoided that. Just like the horrors of blowing all your money on university then getting stuck with $100000 in loans. Maybe I'm different though, like you said.

Old 11-27-2016, 07:01 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
We all like pleasurable things, but we know that things come with a cost, hence why we save our money to get the most bang for buck.

For me the appeal of hydrocodone was that it was the best for relaxing after a mentally taxing day. It was great for unwinding, talking a walk outside, seeing all the positive things around you, exercising, then going to bed for 10 hrs and waking up refreshed and charged up. Reason I never took it for pain was I never really got injured and my wisdom teeth extraction didn't hurt much.

Better than weed (cause your not all loopy and ADDish and functional) and hands down better than alcohol IMO, but like I said, I knew the horrors of what happened with overuse, so I avoided that. Just like the horrors of blowing all your money on university then getting stuck with $100000 in loans. Maybe I'm different though, like you said.
My point was that you very intentionally started taking hydorcodone - you didn't just fall into it after an injury. You either asked or observed others and then had to procure it - that intentionality seems more dangerous to me in terms of being drug seeker-ish and setting you up for rationalizing your use and later over-use so be careful.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:23 PM

Quote:
My point was that you very intentionally started taking hydorcodone - you didn't just fall into it after an injury. You either asked or observed others and then had to procure it - that intentionality seems more dangerous to me in terms of being drug seeker-ish and setting you up for rationalizing your use and later over-use so be careful.
Yes I did intentionally start taking hydrocodone recreationally. I got it from my wisdom tooth script, not illegally. But because I did it intentionally and recreationally, I had no issues with desire to redose or cravings, in comparison to many who took painkillers "medically" for pain.

The issue with painkillers is that they are a horrible solution to anything besides acute pain, say wisdom teeth recovery or something like that, yet doctors hand them out all the time, like they did for the OP. When people take painkillers "medically" and "as prescribed" for intermediate term or chronic pain, they most definitely have an urge to redose as not only has the pain not subsided, but they now have reverse pain tolerance and withdrawal symptoms from opiates.

In contrast, for recreational user to become addicted, they have to have pretty much zero self control and redose over and over again. AND, those same people who have zero self control are just as likely to get screwed up on alcohol or some other drug, so the fact that they chose opiates really isn't too consequential. (A caveat though, I do think injected heroin is a different ball game than oxycodone or weak opioids)

The majority of people who are screwed up on opiates either 1. started off taking them "legitamately" for pain and couldn't quit them or 2. are really emotionally/mentally screwed up and are trying to escape and found opiates the most functional way to do that.

I just think there needs to be some real effort put into alternatives for pain relief for intermediate and long term cases. Also opiates need to have all patents revoked so there is no profit motive in selling them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness