Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 04:17 AM

1 posts, read 1,462 times

Advertisements

That depends, how long do you want to live? Looking forward, do you see yourself healthy, energetic & pain free or do you see yourself waiting in one doctor's office after another, barely able to walk without support, and too tired most Moderator cut: too long a quote, 1-2 sentenced and link

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 03-04-2017 at 12:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 08:17 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,246,081 times
Fitness freak my entire life. Always felt guilty when missing a workout, which was rare.

Now my 73-year-old knees tell me "Son, you overdid it." And I need BP meds to keep BP under control. Sodium is low; potassium is high although they're both probably related to the BP med Losartan. Serum ferritin high for many years; cause unknown. More recently red cells low while white cells high. All other labs OK, including total cholesterol 150 with much of that being HDL.

I don't know how much lifelong exercise contributed to that picture above. Workouts much gentler now: stretch bands instead of weights. Ellipticals, steppers, and rebounders instead of walking/jogging/running.

Sometimes I think my maternal granny had the best idea: everything in moderation. She never exercised but never shied from hard work. Nana lived to 95.

Old 03-04-2017, 08:31 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Fitness freak my entire life. Always felt guilty when missing a workout, which was rare.

Now my 73-year-old knees tell me "Son, you overdid it." And I need BP meds to keep BP under control. Sodium is low; potassium is high although they're both probably related to the BP med Losartan. Serum ferritin high for many years; cause unknown. More recently red cells low while white cells high. All other labs OK, including total cholesterol 150 with much of that being HDL.

I don't know how much lifelong exercise contributed to that picture above. Workouts much gentler now: stretch bands instead of weights. Ellipticals, steppers, and rebounders instead of walking/jogging/running.

Sometimes I think my maternal granny had the best idea: everything in moderation. She never exercised but never shied from hard work. Nana lived to 95.
Thanks for your honesty. Too many times we think that if (some) fitness is good, extreme is better. I've known avid runners getting hip replacements in their early 50's....then knees - very scary. Call me lazy, but I'll walk and strength train for fitness.

Old 03-04-2017, 04:51 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,221,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Thanks for your honesty. Too many times we think that if (some) fitness is good, extreme is better. I've known avid runners getting hip replacements in their early 50's....then knees - very scary. Call me lazy, but I'll walk and strength train for fitness.
And yet again we have "opinions" masquerading as facts....

Typically espoused by non runners.....

"An impressively large cross-sectional study of almost 75,000 runners published in July, for instance, found “no evidence that running increases the risk of osteoarthritis, including participation in marathons.” The runners in the study, in fact, had less overall risk of developing arthritis than people who were less active."
https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/...rthritis/?_r=0

"In an analysis recently published in the journal Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, Williams calculated rates of osteoarthritis and hip replacement among participants in his studies and found that runners were approximately half as likely as walkers to develop osteoarthritis or need a hip replacement. Furthermore, runners who ran the most had the lowest risk of osteoarthritis."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.4c6293a72389

Running doesn't "wear out knees and hips"

Running doesn't "cause arthritis"

Anecdotes are useless when discussing this topic.

As someone who has been running competitively for over 40 years with more than a dozen completed marathons and who has also been taking care of Orthopaedic complaints for over 25 years I can tell you from MY experience that for every 1 runner that needs a hip or knee replacement there are at least 20 overweight couch potatoes that need a hip or knee replacement..

MY experience is also borne out my research data as above

Old 03-04-2017, 05:34 PM

703 posts, read 612,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
And yet again we have "opinions" masquerading as facts....

Typically espoused by non runners.....

"An impressively large cross-sectional study of almost 75,000 runners published in July, for instance, found “no evidence that running increases the risk of osteoarthritis, including participation in marathons.” The runners in the study, in fact, had less overall risk of developing arthritis than people who were less active."
https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/...rthritis/?_r=0

"In an analysis recently published in the journal Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, Williams calculated rates of osteoarthritis and hip replacement among participants in his studies and found that runners were approximately half as likely as walkers to develop osteoarthritis or need a hip replacement. Furthermore, runners who ran the most had the lowest risk of osteoarthritis."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.4c6293a72389

Running doesn't "wear out knees and hips"

Running doesn't "cause arthritis"

Anecdotes are useless when discussing this topic.

As someone who has been running competitively for over 40 years with more than a dozen completed marathons and who has also been taking care of Orthopaedic complaints for over 25 years I can tell you from MY experience that for every 1 runner that needs a hip or knee replacement there are at least 20 overweight couch potatoes that need a hip or knee replacement..

MY experience is also borne out my research data as above
And the experience of tons more people counter the above evidence. The above evidence is called survivor bias. Those people given to good health, an uncommon ability to withstand and benefit from exercise and a lower genetic probability to get arthritis et al can be found among the ranks of runners and other chronic exercisers. The end. Have a nice day

Old 03-04-2017, 06:17 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
I have always had physical jobs and I worked very hard. I have had coworkers that told me I would work myself to death. Even when I could have retired; I have kept working for the last eight years. The coworkers, that told me I would work myself to death, are dead. They did retire and they did nothing.

My feeling is that humans need activity. They do not need to do exercise if they keep busy in their daily lives. You look at some of the women that lived very long lives. They might not have been in the workforce or exercised; but their daily routines were hard physical work.

Think of where we came from as hunters and gatherers. Life was not supposed to be easy. I worry as robotics are poised to eliminate many of our jobs and task. Our future could be very unhealthy.

Old 03-04-2017, 06:24 PM

375 posts, read 296,650 times
Quote:
Runners getting hip replacements in early 50s?

Hog wash.

As a lifelong runner, I'm calling BS on that.

Oh. Sure..You might know A guy who runs and had that surgery, but I bet you that running did not cause it. More likely something else did, and he would've had the surgery anyway, running of no. I know hundreds of runners and in my life since high school track have known thousands. I have never known anybody to need hip replacement just from running.

Gee! This might because ANY Sport Medicine physician or MD will tell you that running does not cause this. It strengthens rather than weakens every single physiological body part involved. Period.

So...I'm calling you lazy. Or just unwilling of unable to run, and this compelled to justify your choice of only walking by breath exaggerating one incident and making it sound as if you know scores of people who were so obsessed with running that they blew out their hips. You are coming very close to lying by doing this.

I think a retraction is in order.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/news/w...about-running/

And this might also help you out a bit.........

http://running.competitor.com/2013/1...-running_40723

Old 03-04-2017, 07:09 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times
In this day and age, I don't see how anyone could say that exercise is unnecessary.

Evidence after scientific evidence shows the massive benefits of exercise both resistance and cardio. It helps ward off muscle wasting, improves blood lipid profile and blood pressure, helps ward off many diseases, on and on and on.

While we can never stop the inevitable decline in our physiques, what we can do is to lessen the impact of aging.

Old 03-04-2017, 07:32 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,227,987 times
Exercise is necessary to combat aging.

Excessive exercise can be harmful to a person's health as well.

People have to remember we cannot do the things we did in our twenties and try not to force our bodies to do the things we did when we were younger. We need to remember more rest and less frequency as we age but still to keep on exercising.

Old 03-05-2017, 05:50 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallstaff View Post
And the experience of tons more people counter the above evidence. The above evidence is called survivor bias. Those people given to good health, an uncommon ability to withstand and benefit from exercise and a lower genetic probability to get arthritis et al can be found among the ranks of runners and other chronic exercisers. The end. Have a nice day
It is the standard correlation vs. causation- as you point out. The people who are able to run the most are those who tend to have the least problems. If they were developing arthritis or having other issues, they probably would have stopped running (or walking) years prior.

Some people never start running in the first place because they know it's not a good fit for them. For example, I have IBS and hip issues, so the high impact of running is not a good fit for me. It's not something I can improve by working up to running more because high-impact exercises are simply not good for digestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness