Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 05:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times

Advertisements

Neither hubby or I have had the Shingle vacine and were about to do it when a couple at church told us, their doctor told them, if you are over 80 the vacine will do no good. Keep meaning to call our doctor but forget. Has anyone else heard this? I might add, this couple is in their early 90s and he is suffering with Shingles right now. I feel so sorry for him. His wife has had the shot. We don't want to spend the time or money on a vacination that will not help, but we would rather not get shingles if we can prevent it.

Old 04-26-2017, 11:19 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,202,497 times
A Kaiser Permanente page indicates that over 80 it may not be as effective but not that it would do no good at all. Another source said that increasing age itself appears to make it less effective. Less effective in this case means that if one does get shingles after having the vaccine, the severity may be lessened.

Have you checked to see if your Medicare Part D will pay for the vaccine?

Old 04-26-2017, 06:20 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,130,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post
A Kaiser Permanente page indicates that over 80 it may not be as effective but not that it would do no good at all. Another source said that increasing age itself appears to make it less effective. Less effective in this case means that if one does get shingles after having the vaccine, the severity may be lessened.

Have you checked to see if your Medicare Part D will pay for the vaccine?
One note: If the OP decides to get the vaccine and their insurance does not cover the it; price around. I found major differences in the cost between what different providers charged.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:40 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
I'm 79 this summer and I never had the shingles nor other vaccines for that matter. Keeping one's immune system STRONG, I believe, is a big key. After what I've been thru with my hospital trips and rehabs, talk about being stressed and worn out, I did not get the shingles. My parents never had them either if that makes any difference. I kept my important supplements going while away with the knee issue. Antioxidants are so important, I believe. I did have the chicken pox as a kid.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:38 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,224,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I'm 79 this summer and I never had the shingles nor other vaccines for that matter. Keeping one's immune system STRONG, I believe, is a big key. After what I've been thru with my hospital trips and rehabs, talk about being stressed and worn out, I did not get the shingles. My parents never had them either if that makes any difference. I kept my important supplements going while away with the knee issue. Antioxidants are so important, I believe. I did have the chicken pox as a kid.
Yet your STRONG immune system and all your "supps" didn't keep you from getting a knee joint infection did they??? An INFECTION issue which is much LESS common than shingles....

FACT is 50% of all individuals over 85 have had or will have shingles, the vaccine reduces that risk and you are foolish if you think you are immune to this possibility

For the OP:

Is there an upper age limit for receipt of the zoster vaccine? Local providers are reluctant to give zoster vaccine to persons age 80-plus years.

There is no upper age limit for zoster vaccine. The incidence of herpes zoster increases with increasing age; about 50% of persons living until age 85 years will develop zoster. ACIP recommends the vaccine for everyone age 60 and older, even though the vaccine's efficacy decreases with an increase in the recipient's age. In general, with increasing age at vaccination, the vaccine is more effective in reducing the severity of zoster and postherpetic neuralgia than in reducing the occurrence of zoster.
Ask the Experts about Zoster (shingles) Vaccines - CDC experts answer Q&As

Old 04-27-2017, 09:00 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,751,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
The incidence of herpes zoster increases with increasing age; about 50% of persons living until age 85 years will develop zoster. ACIP recommends the vaccine for everyone age 60 and older, even though the vaccine's efficacy decreases with an increase in the recipient's age.
I think they should change their recommendation to 50 and older since the efficacy decreases with age....and also because I personally know two people, and have heard of even more, who had shingles in their 50s (one was early 50s).

I've wanted to get it for a long time now and my doc actually wrote me a prescription for one but I read that it costs around $200 without insurance, so I haven't done it.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:21 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,130,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I think they should change their recommendation to 50 and older since the efficacy decreases with age....and also because I personally know two people, and have heard of even more, who had shingles in their 50s (one was early 50s).

I've wanted to get it for a long time now and my doc actually wrote me a prescription for one but I read that it costs around $200 without insurance, so I haven't done it.
Call the different pharmacies and ask how much. It varies from one pharmacy to the next and most pharmacies administer the shots; even in the supermarkets. I forget how much money we saved by shopping around; but I think it was something like $50 or $75. It might have been even more.

My one sister contracted shingles before she turned 50 and wished that she could have received the vaccine - but the doctors are not quick to prescribe before 50.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:34 AM

7,515 posts, read 13,616,097 times
The mfr, Merck, does recommend age 50
http://www.merck.com/product/usa/pi_...stavax_ppi.pdf

They also have insurance info at;
https://www.zostavax.com/shingles-va...cost-medicare/

FTW, in 2009 at age 64, I got mine on my last employer's group insurance. My PCP billed them $222, ins. paid $196, I paid zero.

My current Medicare Advantage (MA-PD) plan lists Zostavax in their formulary as Part D, Tier 3 with a $47 co-pay.

As always, call your plan and ask.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:45 AM

1,013 posts, read 1,421,124 times
I had Shingles in mid 40's...... I got the vaccine after that.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:47 AM

50,353 posts, read 63,939,201 times
When I first got shingles, the vaccine was new. My doctor did not believe in using his patients as guinea pigs, so I didn't get it. Now, I've had them a few times, but not severely, because I know the early symptoms and to start the antiviral early. Since you can still get shingles even after the vaccine, I have no intention of getting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness