Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 07:28 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times

Advertisements

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...thy/402719001/

This is the reason I vary my oils (right now: macadamia, walnut, avocado, coconut, safflower, grapeseed).

I have viewed oil as similar to butter (health wise) , and that looks consistent with the current findings.

I do like the flavor of it for somethings like curry, baked goods, etc.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 08:06 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
I think a lot of this publicity about how we need a lot of fats is just a reaction against the old advice about not eating any or very much fat. I love the taste of coconut and I drink coconut milk sometimes. I've started using coconut oil and baking soda instead of toothpaste because it tastes better to me and doesn't sting like toothpaste.

But I think that usually, moderation is the best way--not to follow any fad one way or the other. Thanks for the article.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:07 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Absolutely agree with you!!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-17-2017, 10:34 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Another Study...Life is one big continuing mass of studies so we can be continually confused.

I've used CO for at least a decade and use OO too, often mix the two when stir frying and make popcorn and my lipid levels are in good ranges...for the ranges they are in.

Old 06-17-2017, 10:28 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,661,647 times
All oils are bad for you, there really is no such thing as a 'healthy' or 'good' oil.

That said, I do use olive oil sparingly from time to time to cook foods, or eat foods fried in certain vegetable oils. But definitely try not to often.

Old 06-18-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
All oils are bad for you, there really is no such thing as a 'healthy' or 'good' oil.

That said, I do use olive oil sparingly from time to time to cook foods, or eat foods fried in certain vegetable oils. But definitely try not to often.

So another expert on oils...I'm sorry I for sure disagree with you. Our bodies need good fats and oils...

There is just too much info out THERE backing this up... I got my first good lesson from Weston Price Foundation. And I went on for years with researching oils.

As I do every morning, am drinking my morning organic coffee with 1/2t coconut oil added to the delicious coffee with added coconut oil creamer.

Old 06-18-2017, 03:55 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,906,215 times
Coconuts can be dangerous to your health. I had one fall on my head from a tree and I have not been the same since. I may have absorbed some of the oil from the hit but it hasn't helped me

Old 06-18-2017, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
So another expert on oils...I'm sorry I for sure disagree with you. Our bodies need good fats and oils...

There is just too much info out THERE backing this up... I got my first good lesson from Weston Price Foundation. And I went on for years with researching oils.

As I do every morning, am drinking my morning organic coffee with 1/2t coconut oil added to the delicious coffee with added coconut oil creamer.
Let me guess, you're a keto practitioner and what you're describing is "bullet proof" coffee (minus the organic grass fed cow butter).

Anyhow, you rely on the Weston Price Foundation as a source of information? This same Weston Price foundation? :

Weston Price’s Appalling Legacy

Weston A. Price Foundation: shills and quacks | the unreasonable man

I'd be interested in seeing your other sources, the "too much info out there backing this up" as you state.

Here's some of the information that backs up my claims. You and others may dismiss them based on the website and author/background, but notice that the information itself comes from reliable scientific research:

The Good, Bad and Ugly About Oils - UC Davis Integrative Medicine

Quote:
ALL oils promote heart disease. A study in JAMA (Journal of the American Medical Association), all oils – saturated, monounsaturated (olive oil) and polyunsaturated (flax oil) – were associated with an increase in the plaque build up that clogs our arteries and leads to heart attacks.

Oil also causes our red blood cells to clump up, which limits their ability to absorb and deliver oxygen to our cells and slows blood flow. Studies have shown that (blood) flow-mediated dilation decreases by over 30% for four hours after we eat a fatty meal. With such a decrease in flow-mediated dilation, is it any wonder that so many of us “crash” after a meal?

Finally, according to the National Institutes of Health, oil suppresses our immune system, which makes us vulnerable to infections and impairs our bodies’ ability to stop the growth of cancer cells.
And this

Quote:
Both Omega-3 and Omega-6 must come from our diet because our cells are unable to manufacture them.

But it must be emphasized that our need for these fatty acids is very small. The National Academy of Sciences says we need only 1/4 of a teaspoon (women) to 1/3 of a teaspoon (men) of fatty acids per day. That’s about 1-3% of caloric intake and is super easy to achieve on a whole food, plant-based diet – without any oils!

At the end of the day, the truth is that essential fatty acid deficiency is essentially non-existent in the general population.
Vegetarians in Paradise/Olive Oil Health/Exsalus Health & Wellness Center/Matthew Lederman/Alona Pulde

Quote:
In addition, ALL oils promote heart disease. A study reported in JAMA (Journal of the American Medical Association) looked at the effect of oils on atherosclerotic (plaque build-up) lesions in the arteries of the heart. They found that ALL OILS - saturated, monounsaturated (olive oil) and polyunsaturated (flax oil) - were associated with an INCREASE in the plaque build up that clogs our arteries and leads to heart attacks. (JAMA 263:1646, 1990) Of note, the study found that these lesions DID NOT stop growing when monounsaturated fats (olive oil) were substituted for saturated fats (butter, lard, coconut oil).
Quote:
Oil also causes our red blood cells to clump together, limiting their ability to absorb and deliver oxygen to our cells. This clumping then leads to a slowing down of our blood flow. As a matter of fact, studies have shown that our blood flow decreases by over 30% for the four hours following a fatty meal. (Journal of the American College of Cardiology 2000;36:1455-60;Vogel RA, et.al. American Journal of Cardiology. 1997;79:350-354. ) With this decrease in perfusion, is it any wonder that so many of us "crash" after a meal? Finally, oil suppresses our immune system, thus promoting the growth of cancer cells and making us vulnerable to infections.
https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/...research/?_r=0

Quote:
From 2005 to 2012, at least two dozen rigorous studies of fish oil were published in leading medical journals, most of which looked at whether fish oil could prevent cardiovascular events in high-risk populations. These were people who had a history of heart disease or strong risk factors for it, like high cholesterol, hypertension or Type 2 diabetes.

All but two of these studies found that compared with a placebo, fish oil showed no benefit.

Old 06-18-2017, 08:12 PM

SG: I'm not going to debate/argue about oils, there are plenty of others here who do a good job at that. I know what I've done in my last 20 yrs of so with what I've learned and I have no clue about the bullet proof coffee. That's just what I do in the morning with my cup.

Old 06-18-2017, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
SG: I'm not going to debate/argue about oils, there are plenty of others here who do a good job at that. I know what I've done in my last 20 yrs of so with what I've learned and I have no clue about the bullet proof coffee. That's just what I do in the morning with my cup.
Ok, just as I thought.

You took a small jibe at me with the "another expert on oils" remark, and you say you disagree with me, saying there is "just too much info backing this up."

If there is indeed too much info backing up your assertions, then shouldn't it be rather easy to post a link or two to support your viewpoints? You have 20 years of experience and you cop out by saying plenty others do a good job at that?

Like I said, just as I thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness