Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 02:31 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times

Advertisements

Just rec'd this today and I'm NOT promoting any doctor from this ad from an MD in middle America. I've heard about Stem Cells for myself (knee) and they are pricey and insurance does not cover. I know a member here said they didn't work in her case. But putting this out and still thinking on it for me. A knee replacement just doesn't feel right for me.

https://www.caringmedical.com/prolot...-cell-therapy/

Old 06-19-2017, 04:04 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Insurance does not cover it because it is not FDA approved and at this point there are no large scale studies to show it produces clinically significant improvement. It is considered investigational.

https://www.bcbsks.com/providers/Med...2016-03-02.pdf

"Overall, there is a lack of evidence that clinical outcomes are improved. The evidence is insufficient to determine the effects of the technology on health outcomes."

Old 06-19-2017, 04:14 PM

Will they "ever" be FDA approved? That all remains to be seen...but as we know so much that is FDA approved leaves us with issues to deal with for who knows how much, the rest of our lives in many cases.

My sister died waiting for stem cells that her doctors kept her hanging on for with the MS.

Just MAYBE they are effective and would put a lot of MD's/surgeons out of a lot of business and perhaps "they know this"....

Old 06-19-2017, 04:43 PM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
I looked into getting it for my dog (RA), but after talking with the vet it is expensive, and the success rate is poor.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-19-2017, 05:21 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
Not sure what the OP can't understand that everything he/she posts is alternative medicine.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:26 PM

If something like that shows consistent success it will be approved. It would save lots of money over surgery.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Not sure what the OP can't understand that everything he/she posts is alternative medicine.
Medical doctors are working with these Stem Cells in their allopathic medical clinics/offices...allopathic clinics are not alternative. I do understand the difference and know of medical doctors working with these stem cells as patients are now seeing surgeries are not the answer for many.

As far as I know Stem Cells are only being administered by MD's. I know of at least one, maybe there are more than I know, in our city who are Orthopedic doctors and now doing PRP and Stem Cells as their patients don't want surgery.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:44 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
There are doctors who will do it for anyone who wants to pay out of pocket, whether it actually does anything useful or not.

So far there is not enough evidence to say it actually is useful.

The ideal test would be to have a series of patients where both knees had about the same severity of disease, treat one with stem cells and one with a sham treatment (the vehicle for the stem cells without the stem cells). Neither patient nor doctor should know which knee got the stem cells.

How many patients pay for stem cells and end up having surgery anyway?

Old 06-19-2017, 05:49 PM

You can find a "doctor" somewhere who will do anything you want, if you are willing to lay down the money.

History is filled with quacks who take tens of thousands of dollars from people hoping they have the answer. Most of them gain nothing, and are hurt in the long run.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
There are doctors who will do it for anyone who wants to pay out of pocket, whether it actually does anything useful or not.

So far there is not enough evidence to say it actually is useful.

The ideal test would be to have a series of patients where both knees had about the same severity of disease, treat one with stem cells and one with a sham treatment (the vehicle for the stem cells without the stem cells). Neither patient nor doctor should know which knee got the stem cells.

How many patients pay for stem cells and end up having surgery anyway?
You don't know that.

Many have had surgeries or don't want them and have the MONEY to go this route. If money were no object in my life I'd surely go for these over invasive surgeries. I live with complications from my hip surgery in 2010.

Mikala, And yes some are desperate and do not want surgery. The word quack is thrown around so much here. These are very legit MD's doing this work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.