Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 02:22 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,680,113 times

Advertisements

I was admitted to the hospital a couple of weeks ago with Sepsis. I was feeling ill the night before: shivering nonstop, feeling warm, vomiting, completely out of it. My husband ended up taking me to the ER in the morning and within 10 minutes of being there I was diagnosed with Sepsis due to a cellulitis infection on my left lower leg. (which I didn't know I had until I was about to leave for the hospital) My temperature was 104 and my white cell count over 17,000. I also had hypokalemia.

The doctor started intravenous antibiotics right away and admitted me. I was somewhat delirious and don't remember much. He asked me several questions that I couldn't answer. It's like my brain was foggy and nothing made sense. It took three days to get my temperature, blood pressure, and infection under control. I had blood tests done everyday, vital checks every hour. They also performed an ultrasound of my leg to check for blood cloths. I was put on an antibiotic which didn't work. Followed by another antibiotic which didn't work either. They finally tried Cephalexin and it started to help with my infection. Two weeks later and I am still on it.

I had no idea about the severity of my condition until the day I left the hospital. I didn't realize I could have died (Sepsis has a high mortality rate). I still am having a hard time processing it. I have a six year old and the thought of not being alive to see her grow crushes me.

If you have had a near death experience, how has it affected you? Did it change you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2017, 02:41 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
My brother in law of 48 years died 2 months ago, because he did NOT know to go to the ER, but to his MD's office. Lay people do not get that ERs (now EDs) know more.
Sepsis.

Old 06-24-2017, 03:37 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,764,479 times
While in the 3rd rehab for staph infection that was not Found for 2.5 months from the team of docs overseeing me, a young woman came into my room with cellulitis...she said she took herself to the ER and one thing led to another and there she was in the room with me at this rehab facility. She was there for 2+ weeks on IV abx drugs.

I was on 8 weeks of abx drugs, 6 weeks IV's and 2 weeks oral for staph which some called septic arthritis and now realizing if it gone on longer I could be a goner. I still have issues with the hospital doctors. All those medical brains and none did an MRI in the beginning of my 911 trip to the ER. I had no fever but HOT swollen knee....not even red knee. Story is longer but I'll stop here.

Glad to see you posting this, the alternative is not what we wanted.

Old 06-24-2017, 05:24 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,443,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
...All those medical brains and none did an MRI in the beginning of my 911 trip to the ER. I had no fever but HOT swollen knee....not even red knee...

According to webmd.com, an MRI would not have been useful in the beginning of septic arthritis:
"X-rays are typically done to look for joint damage. Blood tests can also be used to monitor inflammation. MRI scanning is sensitive in evaluating joint destruction but is less useful in the early stages."

And, also according to webmd.com, most of your symptoms were not indicative of septic arthrits.

Septic Arthritis: Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Treatment

I doubt you'll find even an ambulance-chaser to take your case (unless you find one who insists on payment from you upfront) against the doctors because it doesnt sound like there was any mismanagement of your case.

Old 06-24-2017, 05:33 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,443,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
...I was diagnosed with Sepsis due to a cellulitis infection on my left lower leg. (which I didn't know I had until I was about to leave for the hospital) My temperature was 104 and my white cell count over 17,000...
If you have had a near death experience, how has it affected you? Did it change you?

I had an NDE back in 1965 as a result of generalized sepsis. I was rushed into emergency surgery and, at one point during the surgery, my spirit left my body and watched as the machines registered that my heart had stopped breathing and the surgeon worked to bring me back to life. The surgeon was later amazed when I repeated back to him the exact words (including the profanity) he said during that time.

The experience made me unafraid of death and almost eager to experience it again. Now that I have adult children, I'm more willing to wait a while longer but, when the time comes, I wont be nervous at all.

Old 06-24-2017, 06:57 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,764,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
According to webmd.com, an MRI would not have been useful in the beginning of septic arthritis:
"X-rays are typically done to look for joint damage. Blood tests can also be used to monitor inflammation. MRI scanning is sensitive in evaluating joint destruction but is less useful in the early stages."

And, also according to webmd.com, most of your symptoms were not indicative of septic arthrits.

Septic Arthritis: Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Treatment

I doubt you'll find even an ambulance-chaser to take your case (unless you find one who insists on payment from you upfront) against the doctors because it doesnt sound like there was any mismanagement of your case.
Oh and you know it all. Thanks.

Old 06-25-2017, 04:58 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I had an NDE back in 1965 as a result of generalized sepsis. I was rushed into emergency surgery and, at one point during the surgery, my spirit left my body and watched as the machines registered that my heart had stopped breathing and the surgeon worked to bring me back to life. The surgeon was later amazed when I repeated back to him the exact words (including the profanity) he said during that time.

The experience made me unafraid of death and almost eager to experience it again.
Now that I have adult children, I'm more willing to wait a while longer but, when the time comes, I wont be nervous at all.
That's a real NDE! I envy you!
Back then, what did they do to cure the Sepsis? Why surgery, if it's not too personal...

My life has completely changed because of this Sepsis and the ignorance of
Gen Practitioners and my sis and her hubby...
I am changing my entire life and home to have her move here with me now from NY...if only
they had watched a 60 second infomercial to have a clue that the antibiotics weren't working right...
they just simply trusted their GP after a phone call, to 'continue on because his fever dropped', she's no nurse...
but he was 'not good'.
And to be honest...some men....he never told my sister he was as bad as he was till 15 minutes before he died, 'I'm not getting any better.'
Why do men do that?
Sorry to vent, guys... ...

Old 06-25-2017, 05:32 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,971,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Oh and you know it all. Thanks.
...says the person who promotes grape seed extract as a cure for just about everything.

Old 06-25-2017, 07:26 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,883,025 times
OP, you're really lucky to be alive, and lucky that you didn't lose your leg. My mom had sepsis a few years ago and that was some scary stuff.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:00 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,360,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
That's a real NDE! I envy you!
Back then, what did they do to cure the Sepsis? Why surgery, if it's not too personal...

My life has completely changed because of this Sepsis and the ignorance of
Gen Practitioners and my sis and her hubby...
I am changing my entire life and home to have her move here with me now from NY...if only
they had watched a 60 second infomercial to have a clue that the antibiotics weren't working right...
they just simply trusted their GP after a phone call, to 'continue on because his fever dropped', she's no nurse...
but he was 'not good'.
And to be honest...some men....he never told my sister he was as bad as he was till 15 minutes before he died, 'I'm not getting any better.'
Why do men do that?
Sorry to vent, guys... ...

It is unfortunate a lot of people don't know about sepsis, the signs, etc. I would not say it's "out there" in terms of advertising. Just recently, I started seeing a lot of commercials for signs of an aneurysm.

Hospitals are getting better about it (at least where I live) and usually have a sepsis protocol in place.

I know how you feel Miss Hepburn. So many people are so stubborn about their health. I had a co-worker who literally called me in the morning to tell me he couldn't breath so he couldn't come into work that day. I could actually hear him on the other end BARELY breathing. I told him, "Go to the ER!" And he said, "I'm going to by doctor at 10 AM." I told him, "No if you can't breath at 3 AM you should be going to the ER at 3 AM!" But he didn't want to listen, attempted to go somewhere anyway and the next day ended up in the ICU for the next two weeks with a hemoglobin under 7 and heart failure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness