Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 12:53 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times

Advertisements

If one has insulin sensitivity, then it may be wise to eat fruit with something that will slow down the rapid uptake of sugar from the fruit and temper the net glycemic index of the meal.

Otherwise, I would follow Ttark's time honored fruit consumption method.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 01:09 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
The word is 'fruit' not 'fruits'.

The word fruit is singular and plural.

Old 07-26-2017, 02:04 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
As my 9th grade English teacher asked me when I had written an essay using the word "they" who is they.

As for me, I love my fruit and I eat it anyway I like; in smoothies, fresh off a tree, in salads, in hot dishes and on top of the waffles or cereal. Now, OP, please tell me, when I can expect a negative side effect from all this? I am not 80 plus years old and have been eating fruit every day of my life almost.

Old 07-26-2017, 02:20 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,587,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecru View Post
They say you should not mix fruits with other food since fruits digest much faster than say meat, cheese, beans or else. It is said fructose in fruits makes other food get rotten in your stomach so you must eat other food at least half hour late after you had fruits.

What do you think of it? Is it true or just a gross exaggeration? Do you personally know any professional nutritionist who sticks to this rule in his/her prescriptions? If yes, how do they deal with classic dishes like cheese with grapes or oats with honey?
This old myth has as much nutritional validity as the many religious-based food prohibitions.

Old 07-26-2017, 02:53 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
Quote:
okay, here are some random links I've just found with the opinion of some nutritionists. ...
OP, those web sites just make those absurd assertions with no evidence at all -- just "follow these rules because we say so." (And the first comment on the first article is from a doctor who says basically calls BS.)

Why do you take them seriously?

I love fruit and eat it basically any time I want!

Old 07-26-2017, 03:00 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
The word is 'fruit' not 'fruits'.

The word fruit is singular and plural.
I am so glad you came along and corrected the grammar otherwise I would have had no idea what this thread was really about!

Old 07-26-2017, 03:05 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post
How to eat fruits properly:

1. Open mouth
2. Insert fruit in mouth
3. Clench jaw forcefully, if necessary, to break off a piece of the fruit (this action is called "biting")
4. Move jaw up and down repeatedly to mascerate fruit (this action is called "chewing")
5. Swallow
6. Repeat as necesary until fruit is gone

('Merica.)
That's the method I've always followed, it's great to hear an internet expert validate me!

I'd just add that it's mandatory for kids to spit or throw any seeds on their most annoying sibling.

Old 07-26-2017, 04:37 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
How do you figure food can get rotten in your stomach?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-26-2017, 05:22 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times
Quote:
What do you think of it? Is it true or just a gross exaggeration? Do you personally know any professional nutritionist who sticks to this rule in his/her prescriptions? If yes, how do they deal with classic dishes like cheese with grapes or oats with honey?

"They" miss out on them, I guess! If food is sitting in your stomach long enough to get rotten, you need to consult a physician if you're not already inpatient at a hospital. Adding half an apple to a steak dinner won't really do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
If one has insulin sensitivity, then it may be wise to eat fruit with something that will slow down the rapid uptake of sugar from the fruit and temper the net glycemic index of the meal.

Otherwise, I would follow Ttark's time honored fruit consumption method.

Wait, aren't you supposed to have insulin sensitivity? Insulin sensitivity means you DON'T have Type II diabetes, correct?

Old 07-27-2017, 01:03 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,580,886 times
Quote:
They say you should not mix fruits with other food since fruits digest much faster than say meat, cheese, beans or else. It is said fructose in fruits makes other food get rotten in your stomach so you must eat other food at least half hour late after you had fruits.

I read a book on that once. Raquel Welch also eats that way, as do some others. It's basically a not mixing groups of food at a meal (altho a little more complicated than that).

I don't think other foods would sour in your gut, if you ate fruit beforehand. But fruits contain particular enzymes that, when mixed with other nutrients and enzymes from other food, they all slow down the processing and interfere with the direct effect of the enzymes.

I did go on a diet once years ago where I practiced this. It did work better than most diets I ever went on. And I felt great and my skin looked firm and good (all the liquid in the fruits). It probably worked well for me because I love fruit. But ..... I can't live eating like that. So it's not a good diet pattern for me.

I do think it's true that if you eat only a certain group of food at a time, then those enzymes are able to do their thing in your system faster and more directly. But the thing is, I'm not sure that it makes that much difference.

You'd have to read a book on it to see what you think. I think it's valid up to a point, but I can't live that way, so it doesn't really matter. Eating a balanced diet at a meal doesn't seem to be harmful to mankind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness