Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 02:48 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times

Advertisements

It's still only ONE gland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 07:31 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
It's still only ONE gland.
Lol. That's driving me a little nuts. Do we have livers, too? And stomachs and hearts?

If she has more than one thyroid, that's a problem. And even if she did, there still would be no apostrophe.

Why DO people do that? Isn't plurals vs. possessives taught by third grade?

I was walking at lunchtime, and a deli had a specials blackboard with "Salad's" on it out on the sidewalk. I stopped and erased the apostrophe with my finger. Doing my part.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
She has been told she doesn't have cancer her doctor said. She doesn't want the gland's removed.
If you need a diet aid, look up thyroidectomy on YouTube. It's the next bloodiest surgery after heart surgery. They put you in the cardiac care unit after surgery because the danger of bleeding is high.

I made the mistake of looking it up on the Internet before I went in. Screamed. I am not a person who enjoys looking at the insides of human bodies.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:33 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Lol. That's driving me a little nuts. Do we have livers, too? And stomachs and hearts?

If she has more than one thyroid, that's a problem. And even if she did, there still would be no apostrophe.

Why DO people do that? Isn't plurals vs. possessives taught by third grade?

I was walking at lunchtime, and a deli had a specials blackboard with "Salad's" on it out on the sidewalk. I stopped and erased the apostrophe with my finger. Doing my part.
I noticed that mistake, but what's the big deal. No one is perfect and people don't need to be so corrected. I think the OP got the message, maybe if not who cares. I hope things will work well for his friend.

What kinda gets me is when people use the word anyways instead of anyway. But I don't call them it as I know what they mean.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:21 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
If you need a diet aid, look up thyroidectomy on YouTube. It's the next bloodiest surgery after heart surgery. They put you in the cardiac care unit after surgery because the danger of bleeding is high.

I made the mistake of looking it up on the Internet before I went in. Screamed. I am not a person who enjoys looking at the insides of human bodies.
This friend of mine bleeds bad anyway so she will not have her glands removed if she doesn't have to.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:32 PM

1,235 posts, read 732,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softcrunch View Post
Which as I mentioned goitre and nodules are different. Of course you can develope both of these together, just goitre is benign but nodules can be cancerous. Hope you already got yourself checked.
They are not different. You don't typically have one without the other.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:42 PM

1,235 posts, read 732,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGoldenLife View Post
At least you know what's going on and that's good. Hashimoto's auto immune is very common in Asians with Thyroid problems.

I don't know how long I've had my goiter. When it was first discovered it was by happenstance and barely noticeable. There's no missing it now, though. Will update here when I get my results.

Best wishes.

Well, I got my results back from the third biopsy I've had over the years. Doc tells me the thyroid and nodules are not cancerous, nor are they caused by an autoimmune disorder.

I'm kind of ticked off with this doc though, because he is completely ignoring my symptomatology. I have a cough; I have difficulty breathing. He told me to have other tests done. What I want is a CT scan. He went on to tell me how powerful they are (I know that) haven't had one in six years with contrast.

If he gets the approvals from my insurance for this, then I want to go ahead with a CT scan to be sure this thyroid (that has continuously grown) is not affecting my trachea and so forth. He acted defensive because I want to rule out all the thyroid as my problem.

If the CT scan shows know pressure, of course I'd be a happy camper. However, since the thyroid has continued to grow for no known reason why should I wait any longer to find out if it's causing problems I'm having?

I won't. I'll go to another doc first!

Old 08-10-2017, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
This friend of mine bleeds bad anyway so she will not have her glands removed if she doesn't have to.
There is no reason to unless she has cancer or the goiter is so large it is causing breathing problems. If it merely has stopped working or the thyroid hormones or imbalanced, medication is prescribed.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGoldenLife View Post
Well, I got my results back from the third biopsy I've had over the years. Doc tells me the thyroid and nodules are not cancerous, nor are they caused by an autoimmune disorder.

I'm kind of ticked off with this doc though, because he is completely ignoring my symptomatology. I have a cough; I have difficulty breathing. He told me to have other tests done. What I want is a CT scan. He went on to tell me how powerful they are (I know that) haven't had one in six years with contrast.

If he gets the approvals from my insurance for this, then I want to go ahead with a CT scan to be sure this thyroid (that has continuously grown) is not affecting my trachea and so forth. He acted defensive because I want to rule out all the thyroid as my problem.

If the CT scan shows know pressure, of course I'd be a happy camper. However, since the thyroid has continued to grow for no known reason why should I wait any longer to find out if it's causing problems I'm having?

I won't. I'll go to another doc first!
No! If you are having trouble breathing or swallowing, you need that CT scan. Find another endocrinologist if he refuses.

Remember, they didn't know mine was fibrosing until they cut my neck open. AFTER it began to shrink, the endo told me, "I'm so glad the prednisone worked. If it had not, the prognosis would not have been good."

Old 08-10-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I noticed that mistake, but what's the big deal. No one is perfect and people don't need to be so corrected. I think the OP got the message, maybe if not who cares. I hope things will work well for his friend.

What kinda gets me is when people use the word anyways instead of anyway. But I don't call them it as I know what they mean.
I blame it on a very strict secretarial school I attended 40 years ago..

If I go to a restaurant and open a menu and there's a typo, I see it immediately without consciously looking.

This weird thing with people tossing random apostrophes into plurals has gotten to be an epidemic, though. No, it doesn't really matter on a message board...except to some of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness