Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 09:39 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,090,187 times

Advertisements

I want to ask a simple question.

A HUGE issue I have had recently is I have been directed to dentists and physicians who speak English as a second language - I do not think as an American I should have to deal with a dentist or physician who doesn't speak English as their native language!

It is very upsetting to me and It is bad enough I have health concerns but to have that extra anxiety about persons who are physicians or dentists is very upsetting.

I want a physician, dentist, health provider with the similar or same socioeconomic and ethnic background as me.

Is it a problem for me to request that when I have a health concern or issue I need addressed? Will health providers honor my request to have a person with similar background to me or will they take issue(s) with it?

Old 08-10-2017, 11:05 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
It sounds like you have another issue that you should deal wth first, xenophobia.
I can understand if their English is poor and you cannot understand what they are saying, but the rest of what you write about is troubling.
So you basically want to ask if there is a Caucasian doctor from the United States to deal with you. Good luck with that.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:12 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
You can always find your own doctor and you will know their ethnic background...not so much the case in clinics etc. And Kaiser not the case either. I had a great alt rheumy MD who was of indian parents, educated in England and the U.S. and a smart smart cookie.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:17 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Yes, I think that is a problem.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-10-2017, 11:25 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool Keeth View Post

A HUGE issue I have had recently is I have been directed to dentists and physicians who speak English as a second language - I do not think as an American I should have to deal with a dentist or physician who doesn't speak English as their native language!

It is very upsetting to me and It is bad enough I have health concerns but to have that extra anxiety about persons who are physicians or dentists is very upsetting.

I want a physician, dentist, health provider with the similar or same socioeconomic and ethnic background as me.

Is it a problem for me to request that when I have a health concern or issue I need addressed? Will health providers honor my request to have a person with similar background to me or will they take issue(s) with it?
Same socioeconomic background? As long as you make as much as your doctor and whatever their speciality is....you care more about that than gender...surprising!

Old 08-10-2017, 11:26 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Reminds me of this recent topic in the Canada section=
Racist Woman yelling and demanding to see a white doctor born in Canada

Old 08-10-2017, 11:32 AM

The part about not learning English as the first language cracks me up!! Like caring about that matters at all? The order in which you learn languages?

OP, I betting that you aren't going to find ANY doctors' in your economic group..... your pretty broke right?

All the doctors, in all the colors, are going to make much more than you. So I guess you are out of luck.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:39 AM

993 posts, read 767,151 times
Quote:

If this is a HUGE issue for you, you've lived a healthy, care free life indeed.

I don't get it. What's stopping you from doing your own research on doctors in your area? Why do you have to have your hand held? Start sorting out your healthcare options in advance.

Simply call various offices and inquire about the doctors' backgrounds. Ask the office manager these questions:

1) Are the doctors white males?
2) Are they immigrants? Cause, yeah, a white male doc could be....heaven forbid....British, German, French, Scandinavian........ Shudder.
3) For how many generations have their families been American citizens?
4) Do the docs have incomes in excess of 300k? After all, you do want them on an equal socioeconomic footing. Explain to the office manager that you'll need to see their tax returns.

If you receive favorable responses then book an appt. with the doc for an interview. That way you can explain in person your aversion to those doctors who don't meet your standards. I'm sure you'll both enjoy a hearty, knowing chuckle.

Don't forget, no one is forcing you to see those filthy doctors from other countries. If you end up in a shock/trauma unit.......you can always refuse live-saving care if the doc on call isn't a white male of your socioeconomic standing.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:44 AM

Good point!! I wonder if the make Medi-Alert bracelets for this?

"If I am dying, I choose to wait for the next available white, 3rd generation, English speaking, male doctor, even if it results in death."

Old 08-10-2017, 11:54 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,144,574 times
Quote:

LOL how many docs/dentists do you think have the same socioeconomic background as the average east st. paulite?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness