Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 07:05 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times

Advertisements

There is at least one free clinic in the area where I reside. Medicaid and/or free clinic.

There are so many possibilities on back issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 09:57 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,448,254 times
Pro biotics.

Brat diet ....

Then incorporate lighter foods. Some fibers and "nuts" will be the culprit if its in the gastro area....

If its the organs...More fluid intake- water ...

Our area has a clinic , 45$ co pay ...you qualify based on your pay stubs....the doctors are not there to get rich, they are there to aide the human. Some hospitals have these clinics for low income....

Old 08-20-2017, 11:40 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,098,140 times
Why am I hearing this so much recently? From my own mother& 2 sons to anonymous people on several different forums/social media sites & from all over the country ... Nobody is being listened to by health care providers.

I got frustrated with this last year & started being very pro-active about my severe microcytic anemia. I was tired of having oral iron crammed down my throat when nobody was hearing that my body could not handle any more oral iron. When I can't walk from the bedroom to the living room & I'm in my late 40's? Something is wrong. I was also very over the "it takes time" attitude. Huh? I live at 7000ft elevation & my hemoglobin is at 7 ... Exactly what are we waiting for?

I started monitoring my own blood count through a company that allows self-testing without a doctors order. They are connected with large & well-known labs like Quest. There are several different companies available in my area, this is the one I used: https://www.econolabs.com/

Most labs are comparable on what tests are available without an order. The one above has many, including Thyroid, Kidney, Liver (used for gallbladder), Hormone, CBC (complete blood count) & many others.

Since it is self vs doctor ordered, insurance typically will not pay but if you don't have insurance anyway it might save you money to self monitor.

They will notify you in advance if you have very abnormal results. My first round of testing they were in a panic to tell me my hemoglobin was at 7 which is about where I thought it might be. I made a printout & went directly to the ER. Showed them my test & said "I'm here because my hemoglobin is at 7" & I thought the tech at the desk was going to pass out before I did. He was stammering with his eyes bugged out saying "Now? Your at 7 right now?"

If I'd have waited for a doctor to be concerned I'd probably be dead by now. I'm usually the first one to say "Call your doctor!" but that would be redundant because you already tried that.

Old 08-20-2017, 11:48 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,905,884 times
I'm a doctor.

Go to the ER, they will treat you without money upfront. Take your driver's license. Undiagnosed back pain with gastro issues can be symptoms of a dangerous medical situation. Get to the cause of those symptoms.

Old 08-21-2017, 03:08 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,046,812 times
If 99.99% of the cases are headcold and 0.01% of the cases are lupus, which do you think they will try to diagnose first?

Old 08-21-2017, 03:22 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Why haven't you applied for medical insurance. If you are qualified by your income, it would be beneficial for you to apply.

There are people employed to help you apply. Call your local social service agency and ask for the Medicaid expansion dept. talk to someone that can help you through the application process. Also, they used to be retroactive, so apply quickly and it may cover your recent visit.

Or go online and apply....you'll automatically be kicked into the Medicaid expansion application if your income is as you've stated.

https://www.healthcare.gov/

Old 08-21-2017, 07:07 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,306,731 times
I went to the E.R. and was admitted Friday morning. Wound up checking myself out Saturday morning AMA when the gallbladder scan I was supposed to get Friday wasn't done and they wouldn't let me have any food or water (other than ice chips) from 9:30 a.m. Friday until I left 25 hours later when I was told the scan wasn't going to be done until 1 p.m. Saturday afternoon. I'm so fed up with doctors.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:15 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,098,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
I'm a doctor.

Go to the ER, they will treat you without money upfront. Take your driver's license. Undiagnosed back pain with gastro issues can be symptoms of a dangerous medical situation. Get to the cause of those symptoms.
Yes; DEFINITLEY take your driver's license!

The husband had a bad reaction to a wasp sting he got at work on Friday. He's been stung a lot of times before & always tolerated well, while I'd blow up like a balloon ...But you can have a reaction at any time without a history of such.

He decided (bad decision) to drive himself to the ER because he didn't realize what can happen. He did make it there & stumbled in the door. By that time the disorientation had set in & he couldn't find his driver's license so he sat there fumbling with his pockets with his right arm ballooning up & turning bright red from shoulder to wrist.

And they turned him away. No DL= no treatment.

He did find his bank card with his name on it but of course that is not a picture ID.

So he left. Got back in his truck, disoriented & shaking & drove himself to a Walgreen's & bought some Benadryl. Tried to drive home but got lost.

So he decided to return to work & spent the rest of the day working with huge metal fabricating machines, heavy equipment & welders.

From the looks of his arm, he could have used some steroids in the ER & IV Benadryl & been monitored for safety, as he is 61 years old. He should not have been let loose on city streets to get lost driving & should have been cleared from work the rest of the day as he works in a high-injury risk environment.

Apparently the hospital did not feel the same way.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:21 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,428,922 times
Lookup on line Free medical clinic near ... where you live.

ETA: It could be gerd, it could be an ulcer. I had what was called silent gerd misdiagnosed as chronic bronchitis. I had the flu, got bronchitis and was prescribed antibiotics which I think caused my gerd or made it worse. Gerd has all kinds of different symptoms and until I was talking with the pharmacist and she asked if I had excessive burping (yes I did) did she say it was probably gerd. Silent gerd causes food to come back up and then get into the lungs and cause bronchitis symptoms and being treated for the bronchitis actually helps the gerd to make the bronchitis worse by opening up the passages. So, I was in a catch 22 circle. Ended up stopping the bronchial medicines, seeing a new doctor and getting on gerd medication as well as a temporary diet change of just eating bland chicken, eggs, brown rice and vegetables like squash. The medication I am sure they prescribed is expensive without insurance but try Goodrx.com for a coupon that might bring it down to a more reasonable cost. If that cost is still too high, try over the counter meds for Gerd. Generic is fine. Try a bland diet for a bit and see if your symptoms subside.

Last edited by NorthofHere; 08-21-2017 at 10:30 AM..

Old 08-21-2017, 12:23 PM

14,944 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Why am I hearing this so much recently? From my own mother& 2 sons to anonymous people on several different forums/social media sites & from all over the country ... Nobody is being listened to by health care providers.

I got frustrated with this last year & started being very pro-active about my severe microcytic anemia. I was tired of having oral iron crammed down my throat when nobody was hearing that my body could not handle any more oral iron. When I can't walk from the bedroom to the living room & I'm in my late 40's? Something is wrong. I was also very over the "it takes time" attitude. Huh? I live at 7000ft elevation & my hemoglobin is at 7 ... Exactly what are we waiting for?

I started monitoring my own blood count through a company that allows self-testing without a doctors order. They are connected with large & well-known labs like Quest. There are several different companies available in my area, this is the one I used: https://www.econolabs.com/

Most labs are comparable on what tests are available without an order. The one above has many, including Thyroid, Kidney, Liver (used for gallbladder), Hormone, CBC (complete blood count) & many others.

Since it is self vs doctor ordered, insurance typically will not pay but if you don't have insurance anyway it might save you money to self monitor.

They will notify you in advance if you have very abnormal results. My first round of testing they were in a panic to tell me my hemoglobin was at 7 which is about where I thought it might be. I made a printout & went directly to the ER. Showed them my test & said "I'm here because my hemoglobin is at 7" & I thought the tech at the desk was going to pass out before I did. He was stammering with his eyes bugged out saying "Now? Your at 7 right now?"

If I'd have waited for a doctor to be concerned I'd probably be dead by now. I'm usually the first one to say "Call your doctor!" but that would be redundant because you already tried that.
Sounds to me as though you need a referral to a hematologist to determine the cause of that low hemoglobin. There are many reasons for such a finding besides iron deficiency.

The emergency room isn't going to do much for a chronic anemia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness