Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2015, 03:18 AM

4,818 posts, read 10,999,965 times

Advertisements

Hi

I have my total testosterone levels checked over the last few years and they have always been on the low side of normal. I look up and the range is very large of what normal is. I have done some testosterone treatments in the past (gel) with not a huge change noted. But as I meet with the doctor...I can't quite seem to get an idea if my level is really really low compared to an average 50 yr old white male....non-smoker... or not.

My levels have varied in the 180-220 range for total testosterone from 2010 to 2014.

Just wondering, for any men near my age, what are your levels (if you have had them checked). Are my values very much below normal, or just on the low side. I was getting from my doctor they were low, but not too concerning. For what it's worth, my sex drive has always been very low even in younger ages. All other blood work is normal.

--Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2017, 03:26 PM

109 posts, read 115,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamsack View Post
Hi

I have my total testosterone levels checked over the last few years and they have always been on the low side of normal. I look up and the range is very large of what normal is. I have done some testosterone treatments in the past (gel) with not a huge change noted. But as I meet with the doctor...I can't quite seem to get an idea if my level is really really low compared to an average 50 yr old white male....non-smoker... or not.

My levels have varied in the 180-220 range for total testosterone from 2010 to 2014.

Just wondering, for any men near my age, what are your levels (if you have had them checked). Are my values very much below normal, or just on the low side. I was getting from my doctor they were low, but not too concerning. For what it's worth, my sex drive has always been very low even in younger ages. All other blood work is normal.

--Dan
Yes, your levels are quite low. For example, the criteria often used to diagnose hypogonadism and qualify for treatment is two morning (levels are highest in the AM) blood tests with Total Testosterone < 300 plus a majority of the common symptoms:

-low libido
-loss of muscle mass
-fatigue
-depression
-sleep disruption
-erectile disfunction
-no morning erections

Most knowledgeable doctors and/or the Low-T clinics can check your blood levels and go over the symptoms with you.

Old 09-03-2017, 03:45 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
This post is about 2 yrs old. For the recent poster do a search of Life Extension and DHEA. I have a thread in the Alt Med section on this. I've been taking it for years, I'm female. We all need to help our aging hormones.

Old 09-03-2017, 03:50 PM

587 posts, read 304,750 times
Its best to raise your testosterone levels naturally,
strenuous exercise, lots of sleep , whole foods diet etc.

I raised my levels naturally confirmed by blood work..

but here's a good information source if you decide to go about it another way.

https://www.excelmale.com/forum.php

Old 09-04-2017, 08:57 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
DH wanted to go to one of those men's clinics to have his testosterone tested, a lot of his co-workers go there. It's the type of place that will give T replacement before your labs come back and cost around $3000 for treatment.

I was uncomfortable with that so asked him to go to his urologist first. Someone who cares about his health and not selling a T package. His T was low, and it took about 2 months to get his dosage right so his numbers looked good (surprisingly insurance paid), and the difference in him is like night and day.

Besides the obvious change where I dare not bend over even to pick something up..... his mood and attitude have made lots of positive changes. He is more interested in things, wants to do more, exercises more.... it's like he has a new passion on life. I have a new and improved husband.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-16-2017, 11:21 AM

Default TRT and DHEA continued discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
This post is about 2 yrs old. For the recent poster do a search of Life Extension and DHEA. I have a thread in the Alt Med section on this. I've been taking it for years, I'm female. We all need to help our aging hormones.
Yes, post is a bit old but I think a lot of people will be interested in continuing to discuss this subject. Also, I have been reading your thread regarding DHEA and am considering supplementation.

I have blood tests of DHEA-S going back to 2014 and noted my level has dropped from 140 to 85 currently. On one thread I saw that a life extension doctor recommends supplementation for men with DHEA levels below 350, however another source I found (Dr. Hyman) states that a level of 180 or above is optimal. The LabCorp reference range is 49-344. Either way I could have a significant deficiency.

I also have had a large decrease in total testosterone over that same period. My levels are down from the 500s to around 300. I also have many of the symptoms commonly reported as associated with Low T, however now I am wondering if the low DHEA is also involved.

I am going to discuss this with a clinical nutritionist who specializes in anti-aging and fitness on September 20th. I will report her recommendations after that.

Old 09-16-2017, 11:29 AM

Default Low T improved naturally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vette0009 View Post
Its best to raise your testosterone levels naturally,
strenuous exercise, lots of sleep , whole foods diet etc.

I raised my levels naturally confirmed by blood work..

but here's a good information source if you decide to go about it another way.

https://www.excelmale.com/forum.php
Thanks vette0009, the excelmale forum is great and I have been reading it closely.

What were your Total/Free T levels before and after you made the changes? Did you also suffer the symptoms of low T (fatigue, loss of muscle mass, brain fog, sleep interruption, etc.) and were you also able to overcome them?

It would be of interest of readers of this thread to post your DHEA-S blood levels if available and comment on whether or not you were able to make improvements there.

Old 09-16-2017, 11:38 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
Keep on top of that DHEA issue. My level was up to over 600 at a point and I'm not sure where it is now. I take DHEA about every other day now after taking it daily for years.

You can get a different answer from every doctor, I swear. I trust LEF.

Old 09-16-2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
DH wanted to go to one of those men's clinics to have his testosterone tested, a lot of his co-workers go there. It's the type of place that will give T replacement before your labs come back and cost around $3000 for treatment.

I was uncomfortable with that so asked him to go to his urologist first. Someone who cares about his health and not selling a T package. His T was low, and it took about 2 months to get his dosage right so his numbers looked good (surprisingly insurance paid), and the difference in him is like night and day.

Besides the obvious change where I dare not bend over even to pick something up..... his mood and attitude have made lots of positive changes. He is more interested in things, wants to do more, exercises more.... it's like he has a new passion on life. I have a new and improved husband.
Thanks Mikala43, I have been researching this subject extensively and your recommendation to seek an opinion from a knowledgeable doctor before starting treatment is dead-on.

I also visited a 'Low-T' clinic and had the same experience as your husband - they recommended immediately starting once-weekly T injections. However, from what I have learned via my own research a proper protocol for T replacement also needs to consider associated factors such as estrogen (estradiol) levels and effect on fertility. Optimal therapy often is bi-weekly injections, plus an aromatase inhibitor (AI) and hCG depending on individual needs and/or side effects.

Good news that your husband was able to establish his hypogonadism diagnosis and justify therapy through insurance and is now happily enjoying the benefits!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness