Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 06:52 PM

671 posts, read 445,465 times

Advertisements

I must have some kind of black aura around me. An examiner would not DARE leave me in stirrups or have onlooker medical students come in and ogle while in such positions. I might be old but I ain't helpless. I think they realize that as soon as I walk into the exam room.
Don't mistake my oldness as a weakness, pals. This old woman can be MEAN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 07:43 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieKarm View Post
I must have some kind of black aura around me. An examiner would not DARE leave me in stirrups or have onlooker medical students come in and ogle while in such positions. I might be old but I ain't helpless. I think they realize that as soon as I walk into the exam room.
Don't mistake my oldness as a weakness, pals. This old woman can be MEAN.
If you're referring to my post about a breast exam, they weren't medical students ogling; they were radiologists and another doctor examining a lump in my breast.

I don't allow ogling either.

Old 10-25-2017, 08:53 PM

769 posts, read 782,439 times
This modesty idea actually makes me angry. We humans are biologically what we are. There’s so much unnecessary shame attached to basic functions of our body it’s ridiculous. My dad had the hardest time the last weeks of his life because of complications with his digestive system after a bile duct cancer surgery. There is no need to be ashamed of anything with your body. It’s a complex biological system that needs lots of care and maintenance especially if something goes wrong. We all pee, poop, sneeze, stink, wash, eat, breathe, have sex. Just like billions of others, humans and animals. That’s how it is and it is good.

Old 10-25-2017, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
If you're referring to my post about a breast exam, they weren't medical students ogling; they were radiologists and another doctor examining a lump in my breast.

I don't allow ogling either.

I meant in general. Next time, do charge admission.

Old 10-25-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octo View Post
This modesty idea actually makes me angry. We humans are biologically what we are. There’s so much unnecessary shame attached to basic functions of our body it’s ridiculous. My dad had the hardest time the last weeks of his life because of complications with his digestive system after a bile duct cancer surgery. There is no need to be ashamed of anything with your body. It’s a complex biological system that needs lots of care and maintenance especially if something goes wrong. We all pee, poop, sneeze, stink, wash, eat, breathe, have sex. Just like billions of others, humans and animals. That’s how it is and it is good.
Ok. But living in a small town where doctors and nurses share with friends and neighbors and it eventually gets out that EVERYONE knows your most embarrassing problem, its not so black and white. Lots of gray in there. I could go into detail but I will refrain.

Old 10-25-2017, 09:11 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,543,160 times
I know a girl who pushed so hard she pooped on the table in the delivery room. I heard it's quite common when you're pushing a baby out but... how embarrassing.

I can just imagine what doctors and nurses have seen in their lifetimes. Some of the stories would probably curl most people's hair.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:40 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
LOL!! Or when you get a nurse who's never seen a cervix before and would you mind if she looked ...?
Heck, I had four people looking up the tunnel of love at one exam: My PCP, his female assistant and two medical students who'd never seen a cervix before.

I've been poked, prodded, pinched, squeezed, biopsied, scanned, scanned some more, injected with radioactive material, had a cyst removed near my spinal cord, had my sinuses Roto-Rootered and twice-weekly allergy shots for way too many weeks.

You get used to it.

Old 10-26-2017, 02:25 AM

513 posts, read 737,035 times
Before I had a breast biopsy and while I was all squished, the hospital called several (!) med students, who happened to be there, into the room to watch the placement of the wire used to locate the spot within my breast. One at least said, "Hi, how are you?" If he only knew!

I do come across as pretty sweet and compliant I suppose--same thing happened when I was pregnant--about 4-5 med students crowded into the exam room to listen to my belly. My doctor did ask if it would be ok with me, but a couple were already halfway into the room!! Arrrgh!!

Old 10-26-2017, 02:35 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
OP: thank you for sharing your observation of regard or lack thereof in the medical community. For the most part a sense of dignity for your privacy is still performed by the staff. They need to look under the hood though so it's understandable that such areas will be exposed. How their demeanor comes across is key.
Professionalism takes into account the person's privacy. Thus the garments ,sheets,or privacy curtain.
I hope you continue to seek healthcare or check ups..The staff has most likely seen it all...It's how they regard you that can either ease the exam or make it tense.

Old 10-26-2017, 06:40 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,049,655 times
The medical center I go to is a teaching hospital. Anytime they have students around, I am always asked BEFORE the appt. gets underway, would it be OK if the students are present? And I have the opportunity to say no. (I usually say yes, after all they gotta learn somewhere!)

That being said, as a gal I prefer going to female doctors, esp. when I have to get nekkid (GYN and Derm). It was worked out well so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness