Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 05:27 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,475,111 times

Advertisements

Saw a report that this "new" reading will require a small percentage (2%) increase in meds needed....the rest can regulate by losing wt, decreasing salt intake, alcohol, and caffeine......

Wasn't happy to see this today as I've taken random readings at times and found my numbers at about this reading.

Blood pressure of 130 is the new ‘high,’ according to update of guidelines

Old 11-13-2017, 05:39 PM

7,192 posts, read 9,332,580 times
Let's see, if I'm a marketing manager in a drug company and I need to increase sales, what might happen if I can get the AMA to set a lower limit on blood pressure?

Hmmmm.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:46 PM

34,098 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Saw a report that this "new" reading will require a small percentage (2%) increase in meds needed....
the rest can regulate by losing wt, decreasing salt intake, alcohol, and caffeine......

Wasn't happy to see this today as I've taken random readings at times
and found my numbers at about this reading.
Hmmm. How much salt, alcohol, and caffeine are in your diet?

Old 11-13-2017, 05:55 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,773,199 times
They come up with new guidelines to suit their moods as I see it. 130/80 is a lovely reading and if I can get that SOMETIMES I'm a happy camper. Our BP changes all day and nights. And this issue has been a long long discussion for years.

Wasn't the standard 120/80 for many years. I can remember that being the guideline when I was in my early 40's...and at that time I had a reading of 130/80. Back then I knew none of the antics going on with guidelines.

Old 11-13-2017, 06:00 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,874,855 times
I saw this just now on ABC News. The MD on said it was aimed at earlier prevention of high blood pressure... in order to decrease after treatments, such as heart attack, a common result of hypertension, as well as stroke.

Why would the AMA care about increasing drug sales for a drug company?

[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Let's see, if I'm a marketing manager in a drug company and I need to increase sales, what might happen if I can get the AMA to set a lower limit on blood pressure?

Hmmmm.

Old 11-13-2017, 06:09 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,773,199 times
GBH: Is that a serious question about AMA and drug sales?

Old 11-13-2017, 06:14 PM

7,273 posts, read 5,150,905 times
There are many causes of elevated bp readings, and it's not elevated readings per se that are deleterious-- after all, when you exercise, your bp goes up-- way up if you're exercising hard-- and that's supposed to be good for you.

Even most physicians don't understand that most cases of persistently elevated bp (ie- HTN) is not a disease, but a symptom of disease, namely, arteriosclerosis, narrowing of arteries.

Just like you pinch the hose to make it reach the far corner of the garden, when arterial damage narrows the caliber, bp goes up. Lowering the pressure doesn't do anything to the arteriosclerosis. HTN is a risk factor for MI, but treating it doesn't lower the MI risk. [Treatment does lower the risk of stroke and kidney failure and helps treat CHF by reducing afterload.]

Many elderly patients need a little higher bp to get enough blood flow up to the brain, and treatment can bring on confusion, often mistaken as dementia. Let their systolic go back up to 160 and their "Azlheimer's" may be miraculously cured.

Back in the early 70s a study showed that people with moderately or severely elevated bp lived longer if it was treated. But those with mild hi bp (<150 systolic) lived longer if it wasn't treated.

Treat the patient, not the lab value.

Vison 67 probably has correctly deduced the rational behind the new recommendation. Follow the money.

Old 11-13-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post

Hmmmm.
AHA (American Heart) uses its own studies/research trials. Major medical breakthroughs have been made through AHA. Wouldn't necessarily jump to that conclusion.

Old 11-13-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Hmmm. How much salt, alcohol, and caffeine are in your diet?
yeps, all of the above - I'm pretty sure those are the culprits....probably could lose another 10 lbs....I run 4-6 miles every other day, do strengthening, biking, some swimming, yoga, a lot of other fitness related activities.....no stress whatsoever. Never a smoker....you'd think I'd be allowed a few vices.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:06 PM

924 posts, read 1,678,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Saw a report that this "new" reading will require a small percentage (2%) increase in meds needed....the rest can regulate by losing wt, decreasing salt intake, alcohol, and caffeine......

Wasn't happy to see this today as I've taken random readings at times and found my numbers at about this reading.

Blood pressure of 130 is the new ‘high,’ according to update of guidelines
Unfortunately, the president of the American Heart Association, John Warner, MD, was unavailable to discuss the new guidelines at a press briefing Monday following a "mild heart attack" Monday morning at the AHA's annual scientific meetings session in Anaheim.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/meetingcoverage/aha/69255
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness