Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 09:21 AM

17 posts, read 24,308 times

Advertisements

The cat is strictly an indoor cat.

I moved into this house 4 months ago. If no-see-ums got into my mattress from the moving truck, would it take this long for them to come out and start biting?

There was no work done to the house prior to move-in. The laminate flooring has been in the house for years.

This is something that suddenly began happening about three weeks ago. Last night, only my legs got these tiny bites, as it was cold and I wore a close fitting hoodie to bed but loose flannel pajama bottoms. There is no pattern to the bites. Random and few. They don't itch intensely, but they do itch. They're not red, just a pinkish color, but become red after scratching.

It only happens at night while in bed. I don't get any new bites during the day. It was hot recently, so I would throw the covers off of me and still get bitten. Now with cold weather, the covers are over me all night and still getting bitten. I don't feel the bites, just wake up with these tiny bites that almost don't look like bites, but don't look like a rash either. I'm reluctant to think I'm allergic to something and even more reluctant to go see the doctor because I could spend a fortune on doctor fees and tests and still not find a solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 09:35 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue9396 View Post
It only happens at night while in bed. I don't get any new bites during the day. It was hot recently, so I would throw the covers off of me and still get bitten. Now with cold weather, the covers are over me all night and still getting bitten. I don't feel the bites, just wake up with these tiny bites that almost don't look like bites, but don't look like a rash either. I'm reluctant to think I'm allergic to something and even more reluctant to go see the doctor because I could spend a fortune on doctor fees and tests and still not find a solution.
Call an exterminator. Ten bucks says it's bedbugs.

Old 12-05-2017, 10:10 AM

723 posts, read 1,005,106 times
Default agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
If you had a moving truck get you to your current home, the truck could have been carrying some no-see um type bugs and they got into your mattress. Not uncommon. Also, if the laminate flooring was put in the house during a remodel or sprucing up before you moved in, the issue could be under the flooring. Is your kitty strictly a house cat, or does he/she go outside? But, that raises the question of whether or not the kitty was always a house cat or always went outside in either house. Geesh, I'm getting itchy .... hope you can solve the problem, I feel your pain.
Yes once I lived in an basement apartment where the previous tenant had shag carpeting and cats. The cats had fleas and the landlord got rid of the carpeting before I moved in. Nobody knew there was a flea problem that was getting worse by the day because it was the summer and nobody was living there to notice. I moved into the apartment but was away for the first two weeks and the problem was obviously growing in magnitude the whole time because the fleas that were left behind started laying their eggs in the crevices between the linoleum tiles on the floor. One morning I got out of bed and wham on my white socks I could see like 10 tiny fleas! Place was invested. Had to bomb it 3X before they were all gone!!! Plus vaccuming like crazy for weeks after. Was Terrible.

Old 12-05-2017, 10:37 AM

4,481 posts, read 3,640,250 times
Unfortunately, it definitely sounds like bed bugs. Who know how you got them, but you need to call an exterminator right away as it will take a professional to rid you of them.

Old 12-05-2017, 11:26 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,432,316 times
If you want to see if it is bed bugs, they say to put a styrofoam cup near the leg of your bed and in the morning check it for bugs. They say the bed bugs crawl in then can't get out. Doesn't sound logical to me, but heck it is just a styrofoam cup and one night. Can't hurt to try.

Old 12-05-2017, 11:34 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,133,264 times
sounds like bed bugs to me and they can live inside your mattress only coming out at night, there are plastic covers you can get that they can't get through. But Steam is the best way to eliminate them.

Old 12-05-2017, 12:14 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,518,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue9396 View Post

In regard to the soy isoflavones, I have not previously been allergic to soy products, and I don't know what a rash to soy would look like. Again, these bites don't look like a rash. They are mostly spaced apart, sometimes an inch away and sometimes 3 inches away from each other. Very rarely are they very close together.

Any other suggestions?
Why are you taking Soy? This doesn't mean you have developed an allergy to Soy.

My doctors told me to not eat or use any soy products.

Agree its time to go to a derm.

Old 12-05-2017, 12:26 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
If you want to see if it is bed bugs, they say to put a styrofoam cup near the leg of your bed and in the morning check it for bugs. They say the bed bugs crawl in then can't get out. Doesn't sound logical to me, but heck it is just a styrofoam cup and one night. Can't hurt to try.
It's not that simple. You have to put dry ice in the cup to generate CO2. That's what the bed bugs search for.

Old 12-05-2017, 03:02 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Ugh. You can't even take advantage of the weather. When I encountered bedbugs on a trip, I left almost everything in the car upon my return for a week during below-zero temps. That basically killed off anything that might have hitched a ride. Not in Cali though...

My advice is to get a storage locker and move the bulk of your stuff into it after you've made sure it's bug-free. Then have someone come over to do that heat treatment. Send the cat to the groomer for a day. Then move back in. I wouldn't do anything by half measures - i know too many people who had to repeatedly treat their house for bedbugs. They're not insurmountable by any means, but you can't give them any openings.

Old 12-05-2017, 04:17 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Bedbugs can be dormant for long time--months--maybe a year--if they have had regular feelings and then their area goes dry
So they could have been in the baseboards from previous owners/tenants
If you are in common wall dwelling they can cross through the walls
They do that all the time in areas like NYC where there are masses contaminating all kinds of buildings -- like movie theaters--
People go to the movie and take bed bugs home in their socks, hems of their slacks, shoelaces or their coats that are the outermost wrapper of their clothing

They can be just about impossible to eradicate and if you are renting you need to contact your landlord and try public health
Some cities want to know contamination spots
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness