Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2023, 10:31 AM

1,383 posts, read 726,088 times

Advertisements

I had a positive FOBT, fecal occult blood test, from a yearly Dr. visit. I have been having nose bleeds at night and get this most winters and my primary Dr thought the positive FOBT was due to this. Called the Gastro Dr and waited 4 weeks for a tele-appt with her. It went well, no other symptoms, no family history. Then spoke with the scheduler and she gave me July as the next possible time for colonoscopy. I thought that was a bit far away and she explained that the Dr. felt since there are no other symptoms, no family history that it was ok. Otherwise, the Dr would have requested it be scheduled sooner. Since then, on and off I wonder if that is too far away or normal?

Just wondering what other people have experienced with scheduling this procedure. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2023, 11:55 AM

8,771 posts, read 5,059,025 times
I have had a positive cologuard test. I was told by my doctor if I did not hear from the gastroenterologist in a few days to call them. I had to call them twice, before I got my appt. I am going in in two weeks.

Old 02-20-2023, 11:57 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,552,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villabella22201 View Post
Just wondering what other people have experienced with scheduling this procedure. Thanks.
It is probably normal but this is your life. Lie and tell them you have seen blood in your stool. They will move you up.

Old 02-20-2023, 12:48 PM

8,771 posts, read 5,059,025 times
Just got a call.....on BP meds, so have to go for EKG before colonoscopy

Old 02-22-2023, 05:02 PM

3,240 posts, read 3,198,364 times
I am due for a colonoscopy this year; I’ve had 4, and the only abnormal one was the first one, when the doctor found a large precancerous polyp. Since all the others were normal, and I have no family history, she suggested the Cologuard test, and it’s been ordered. She said that due to COVID, everyone is short-staffed, and so this would be a quicker route.

Of course, if it’s positive, I will still have to go in for a colonoscopy. So we will see.

Old 02-22-2023, 06:29 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times
I'm scheduled for next Wednesday and just received the estimate from the hospital. That's a new law that went into effect recently. Total expected cost is over $10k with my insurance covering the full cost.

Old 02-22-2023, 07:36 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,105,848 times
Logic tells me that if a doctor orders a test, regardless of the type of test, the test should be done as soon as possible. I would find another place that doesn't have such a long waiting line. And if the doctor doesn't like that, I would find a new doctor. Your health is more important than the doctor's bank account.

Old 02-23-2023, 03:04 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villabella22201 View Post
I had a positive FOBT, fecal occult blood test, from a yearly Dr. visit. I have been having nose bleeds at night and get this most winters and my primary Dr thought the positive FOBT was due to this. Called the Gastro Dr and waited 4 weeks for a tele-appt with her. It went well, no other symptoms, no family history. Then spoke with the scheduler and she gave me July as the next possible time for colonoscopy. I thought that was a bit far away and she explained that the Dr. felt since there are no other symptoms, no family history that it was ok. Otherwise, the Dr would have requested it be scheduled sooner. Since then, on and off I wonder if that is too far away or normal?

It's pretty common to have to wait for gastro and/or colonoscopy appointments. Took me a few months to get into my gastro, then another few months for colonoscopy. Someone else has the same question in one of the other sections, I just replieded to it the other day. Their gastro is backed up too. Just about every reply said they also had to wait for the appointment.

My cologuard was positive for blood, could have been from a hemorrhoid, gastro didn't even find polyps when I finally had the colonoscopy.

False positive cologuard tests are common. I'm not sure how common it is for the test you had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
I am due for a colonoscopy this year; I’ve had 4, and the only abnormal one was the first one, when the doctor found a large precancerous polyp. Since all the others were normal, and I have no family history, she suggested the Cologuard test, and it’s been ordered. She said that due to COVID, everyone is short-staffed, and so this would be a quicker route.

Of course, if it’s positive, I will still have to go in for a colonoscopy. So we will see.

Beware that it's common to have a positive cologuard test. It picks up blood which could be from a hemorrhoid.

Here is one thread about it. If you do a search in this section for cologuard, you'll see all of the other threads.

Positive cologuard and freaking out

Old 02-23-2023, 05:01 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
I had 2 colonscopies (as well as a Cologuard test) each with a different doctor. All were normal although the second colonscopy was scheduled a couple of years earlier than originally recommended due to a genetic test result. But the scheduling was easy and the wait was no longer than a month or two depending on your availability vs. dr's schedule.

Old 02-23-2023, 10:15 AM

1,383 posts, read 726,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
I'm scheduled for next Wednesday and just received the estimate from the hospital. That's a new law that went into effect recently. Total expected cost is over $10k with my insurance covering the full cost.
Wow, over $10,000 for a colonoscopy?? Wow. So, the new law requires an estimate is sent to patient? Well, I can see that being a fair thing to do. Better to have all the information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness