Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 06:07 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,230,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Overall, I am active, in excellent health except for being somewhat overweight, and do not smoke at all. Not being a hypochondriac and wanting to limit my time with doctors to the amount which is necessary, I decry the current “test-itis” of the medical profession. This thread is about my concerns that doctors immediately order tests rather than listen to a patient and address the problems. I am 61.

About three and a half years ago, my blood pressure came in at 140/80, very marginally high for my then age 58, and I was sent for a cardiogram and then a stress cardiogram. I was prescribed medication which lowered the blood pressure but turned me from being energetic to listless.
Earlier, In 1995 I had some clouds in my right, weak eye. I had a standard eye exam, which was clean. Then a flourescine angiography (sp on both) which was clean. Then they wanted an MRI. I agreed. It was "boringly normal." Then they wanted a baseline neurological. I asked if this was to test for MS, the doctor said "yes." I asked if the way I spent the next day would change based on the results, and he said "no." I got out of the chair, told him to "jump in a lake" and walked out. Doctors are good enough to know the diagnoses ahead of time but just don't get to the point. I may have posted this by the way.

On October 31, 2017 I was home from work on a personal engagement but was doing some work from home While I was preparing a chart on the computer and was typing on the keyboard and had trouble with getting my right hand to work correctly. I typed out the last digits on the chart one-handed and then took an hour nap. At that point I little better. I went to sleep after Halloween visitors stopped coming.

The next day at work I was slurring my words and had trouble typing. November 1 was the worst day. On November 2, I went to theater with my wife and felt almost normal. The next few weeks were a bit “on and off.” When I played tennis on Wednesday, November 15, one of the other players still noticed a slight limp. I was roundly criticized for not going to a doctor. Finally, in early February I started taking 32 mgs. of aspirin daily, and am back to 100%.

I will have to alert the doctor on this when I get the new shingles vaccine. I have already written it up. I am willing to take a carotid artery sonogram but that's it. I will not have unguided tests.

And basically I want peoples’ views; are most doctors targeted and focused or to they on a reflex basis order tests?

What exactly is your point???

"Testing" is a part of the practice of medicine, always has been. Yes a doctor should have an idea of what they are looking for and use the testing to help confirm or rule out a suspected diagnosis...

In every case you have listed here and your other posts that seems to be EXACTLY what happened...

Apparently you feel you are "smarter" than your doctors and should be able to dictate what tests are performed....that isn't the way medicine works but you are always free to refuse testing and recommendations at your peril...

If you really told the doc trying to find out the cause of your eye issues to "go jump in a lake" then you sound like a real peach...so maybe you should keep on trying to "limit your time with doctors"...probably good for both parties

You started this off talking about your "borderline" HBP which you may or may not be treating, then a few months ago you describe symptoms that certainly sound like a TIA or mini stroke...

So to review, you likely have hypertension which left untreated or under treated can lead to a stroke....you recently had symptoms which were probably a TIA but who knows since you were able to avoid "unnecessary" testing by not seeing your physician...

Know that 1 out of 3 people who experience a TIA will later have a full blown stroke...

So yeah keep on your kick to avoid "unnecessary" testing....looks like it's working real well for you now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 06:32 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,203,549 times
I don't know what you're looking for, really.

Are doctors "targeted and focused" or do they just order scattershot testing for – what? the fun of it? I'd say they test based on what you present with – and sometimes, those symptoms are pretty vague. Would you prefer they utilize a Magic 8 Ball?

With all the other issues you mention, I'd be watching for that cancer thing, too.

You really lost me with the "go jump in the lake" remark. I can't imagine what it would take for me to say something like that to a doctor but it would be a whole lot more than you detailed.

But, by all means, keep on doing what you're doing. If you stroke out, you still avoided aiding and abetting the doctors and their willy-nilly tests, right?

Last edited by CatzPaw; 05-04-2018 at 07:35 PM..

Old 05-04-2018, 07:40 PM

35,078 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
What is your point? They should have just said "oh, he has rectal bleeding" - we'll just decide w/o testing what it is........ ?
my point is that doctors usually know what the problem is without the benefit of endless tests.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:55 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Quote:
my point is that doctors usually know what the problem is without the benefit of endless tests.

One might think that but not the case. About 30 yrs I ended up in the ER with a major pain in my stomach. I drove myself to the ER....told the doctors what I was taking at the time and it was a pharma anti inflammatory drug...that's a signal right there as I think back to that time and I'm no doctor. They did about 3 tests and finally the last one was for an ulcer and sure enough. What I've thought all these years, they kept me there all day doing 3 tests, making more money off my insurance and the last test was for the ulcer. Gave me tagamet and sent me home.

Then recently I was in the hospital/rehabs and could NOT walk for 2.5 months and they did about 25 xrays and blood work a couple times per week and nothing showed...then finally they sent me for MRI and sure enough a bacterial infection in the knee bones. Everyone I've told this story to, said why didn't they do the MRI right away....and why didn't they. My bills from this Long drama are piled up.

Old 05-05-2018, 12:12 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:

Um.... that's what tests are for, to diagnose.

I've tried to tell my doctor that I prefer if she is just pyschic, but she gets all difficult and wants scientific proof and stuff.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-05-2018, 05:05 AM

35,078 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

I've tried to tell my doctor that I prefer if she is just pyschic, but she gets all difficult and wants scientific proof and stuff.
Asking a doctor to use their own brains is hardly asking them to be a psychic.

Old 05-05-2018, 06:42 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times
My personal opinion is that many doctors run every test imaginable in order to avoid being sued. Then there are those who are looking to pad their bank account with unnecessary tests. I trust few doctors.

Old 05-05-2018, 07:28 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,698 times
I always as my doctor if a test will change the treatment plan before consenting to it. If it will change the course of action do it and if not then don’t. You have a right to question your doctor on tests and ask them about the overall purpose. That said most doctors will want to do a panel of blood work every year to see if they catch anything early. I always do this because preventative and early detection is a lot cheaper than waiting for something to blow up.

My point is you should have a doctor that is your partner and open to discussing all tests ordered. I’d get a new doctor if you don’t have this.

Old 05-05-2018, 05:09 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,944,595 times
Quote:
In September 1971 my father had some rectal bleeding. The family doctor sent him to a proctologist though he knew what my father had; Stage 4 rectal cancer. He was dead in a year and a half.
And if rectal bleeding started, a proctologist's examination would help determine best course of action to ensure your father was comfortable and wasn't bleeding out internally due to the cancer. He was sent to a proctologist because the family doctor knew what he had, and wanted to ensure your father was getting the best care. It's called end of life care. Why you have a problem with this is beyond me.

You asked for what people think -- here is my opinion, and I suspect you won't like it. I have atrial fibrillation, a tendency to high blood pressure (which is under control), and prostate cancer. I have a family doctor, a urologist, and a cardiologist who have been helping me with treatment for these conditions. In addition, I've had my gall bladder removed and hernia surgery in the past 4-5 years. My experience is that tests I've been given in all cases have not been excessive, the doctor has always explained why he felt they were necessary, and we engaged in a dialogue about tests or medication. It was always made clear to me that I had choices, and what those choices were. My urologist monitored my PSA for a good year before he recommended a prostate biopsy - and that's how it was presented to me: as a recommendation. We're taking an active monitoring approach to my cancer. A good doctor will work with you on your treatment plan - but you have to open your mouth and dialogue with him/her. They're people like us, and you need to work with them to develop a relationship, not treat them all with suspicion because you believe their eyes are only on your wallet.

All the doctors I know work very hard. They have huge caseloads and managed care has made their lives much more difficult - but in spite of that, I've always felt my doctors have been willing to take the extra time to discuss diagnoses and treatment with me, including alternatives. Half of your treatment is up to you -- it's not all on the doctor. When you talk about telling your healthcare provider to jump in the lake, it's pretty clear you have a big issue with doctors -- and if in your treatment you come at the relationship as an adversary rather than a participant, you're going to get different results than if you work with your providers.

From what you've said, it sounds like you have some serious health problems, and very well may have had one or more TIAs. I would expect testing to be recommended if I had symptoms like that. If you personally believe you don't need a test, you can refuse it. Or you can do what I do, and discuss alternatives with your providers. Or follow the "natural treatment" advice you'll get from the many internet "health experts" here and give your money to health food stores and naturopaths instead.

Old 05-05-2018, 06:14 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

Yeah, and then there is that inconvenient little fact that quite often signs and symptoms aren't specific for just one condition or illness, so without the tests the docs would have to be real good at guessing games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness