Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 10:17 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times

Advertisements

I live with decades of back arthritis (lower back mostly) and advancing DDD and know golfers have their share of joint issues, back, hip, shoulder etc....and a couple yrs ago I talked my golfer brother out of back surgery...

Just reading about Jack Nickaus story on Stem Cell Therapy. Waiting for our FDA to get off their duffs and put their stamp of approval for this therapy in our country and so the insurance world will get involved. This work can eliminate a lot of unnecessary invasive back and other joint surgeries.

https://www.newscientist.com/article...his-back-pain/

Jack Nicklaus opens up on stem cell therapy for back pain | Golf.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 10:21 AM

4,279 posts, read 5,938,202 times
Back in 2010 our youngest son spent the summer working in a Neurology Lab at either Stanford University or San Jose State (the PI moved from Stanford to SJSU). Among the research projects he worked on that summer was one in which the team was able to successfully, and repeatedly, regenerate nerve tissue using a special elixir.

It has been done in lower life forms. Nerve regeneration will be here to help us soon.

Old 05-18-2018, 10:23 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times
A friend of mine recently had a stem cell procedure for her knee. She needed a replacement but wasn't interested in that. But her insurance did not cover the stem cell procedure, which was expensive.

Old 05-18-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
A friend of mine recently had a stem cell procedure for her knee. She needed a replacement but wasn't interested in that. But her insurance did not cover the stem cell procedure, which was expensive.
It does not pay NOW, but it COULD BE coming, let's hope, I'm waiting for that day and have to believe it will happen that insurance will help us. If I had the extra money, I would have done it already, we have a good number of qualified workers here in So. Calif.

And more and more MD's are learning this work, it's the future...regenerative medicine.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 05-18-2018 at 10:39 AM..

Old 05-18-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Back in 2010 our youngest son spent the summer working in a Neurology Lab at either Stanford University or San Jose State (the PI moved from Stanford to SJSU). Among the research projects he worked on that summer was one in which the team was able to successfully, and repeatedly, regenerate nerve tissue using a special elixir.

It has been done in lower life forms. Nerve regeneration will be here to help us soon.
Very interesting, thanks for this.

I posted The History of Prolotherapy in the Alt Med area and it goes back centuries, and they used elixirs before they are now using platlets and stem cells. These come under the umbrella of Prolotherapy, I've read about it in the History site.

This work is NOT new, surgeries and replacements are new in the whole scheme of things.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 05-18-2018 at 10:57 AM..

Old 05-18-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Very interesting, thanks for this.

I posted The History of Prolotherapy in the Alt Med area and it goes back centuries, and they used elixirs before they are now using platlets and stem cells. These come under the umbrella of Prolotherapy, I've read about it in the History site.

This work is NOT new, surgeries and replacements are new in the whole scheme of things.

This is good news because my left knee is reminding me something is wrong with it. So I expect at some point it will get as bad as my right knee for which I had a TKR. That went very well and have no problems from it.

Old 05-18-2018, 11:40 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:

Insurance generally does not cover "stem cell therapy" because there are only a few applications in which it has been proven to work. Listen to Tim Caulfield, current Canada Research Chair in Health Law and Policy:

"Stem cell research has considerable clinical potential and scientific discoveries continue to advance our knowledge in this field. Yet, despite enthusiastic media coverage of the field only a few stem cell-based therapies are currently ready for clinical application. This reality has not stopped the proliferation of clinics around the world advertising a wide array of unproven stem cell-based interventions. Many of these clinics use a direct-to-consumer marketing system based on an online presence."

I have an incurable lung condition. I really wish I didn't have it.

I found an online article extolling the virtues of a stem cell treatment that "cures" this lung condition and the clinic that offers this treatment. The article was in a very respectable-looking online medical journal I had never heard of, which claims to have nearly a dozen medical professionals on its staff. I haven't been able to verify the existence of any of them. I believe the purpose of this journal site is to promote unproven stem cell treatments for various maladies and that the website is entirely the concoction of the stem cell clinic.

I would bet there are hundreds of sites like this one out there, preying on people who are hoping for a cure.

Back to Tim Caulfield:

"Many of these interventions are marketed despite lack of approval by relevant regulatory bodies like the US Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA’s) Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research. The market also continues to flourish despite denunciation by research bodies like the International Society of Stem Cell Research, cautions issued by professional societies and legislative attempts to constrain it, among other efforts. The apparent resilience of this market suggests regulators and policymakers need to explore diverse approaches for addressing the various concerns associated with it."

Old 05-18-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
This is good news because my left knee is reminding me something is wrong with it. So I expect at some point it will get as bad as my right knee for which I had a TKR. That went very well and have no problems from it.
Since you had a good outcome for one knee TKR, perhaps you'll have a 2nd good outcome. Many are left with a lot of issues. These surgeries are crapshoots... I'm sure you would not live with the knee I deal with, but I had a bad outcome from one joint replacement, hip job. So I'm very fearful of more surgery.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Insurance generally does not cover "stem cell therapy" because there are only a few applications in which it has been proven to work. Listen to Tim Caulfield, current Canada Research Chair in Health Law and Policy:

"Stem cell research has considerable clinical potential and scientific discoveries continue to advance our knowledge in this field. Yet, despite enthusiastic media coverage of the field only a few stem cell-based therapies are currently ready for clinical application. This reality has not stopped the proliferation of clinics around the world advertising a wide array of unproven stem cell-based interventions. Many of these clinics use a direct-to-consumer marketing system based on an online presence."

I have an incurable lung condition. I really wish I didn't have it.

I found an online article extolling the virtues of a stem cell treatment that "cures" this lung condition and the clinic that offers this treatment. The article was in a very respectable-looking online medical journal I had never heard of, which claims to have nearly a dozen medical professionals on its staff. I haven't been able to verify the existence of any of them. I believe the purpose of this journal site is to promote unproven stem cell treatments for various maladies and that the website is entirely the concoction of the stem cell clinic.

I would bet there are hundreds of sites like this one out there, preying on people who are hoping for a cure.

Back to Tim Caulfield:

"Many of these interventions are marketed despite lack of approval by relevant regulatory bodies like the US Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA’s) Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research. The market also continues to flourish despite denunciation by research bodies like the International Society of Stem Cell Research, cautions issued by professional societies and legislative attempts to constrain it, among other efforts. The apparent resilience of this market suggests regulators and policymakers need to explore diverse approaches for addressing the various concerns associated with it."
It's tragic that so many Americans go to other countries for this work. A friend went to the Dominican Republic for stem cells for her MS and some 20 yrs later she is doing pretty good. My sister kept waiting for them as her doctors said "they are coming"..well she died before they came. Little OT but about Stem Cells in general. Poor health is big money. We are a very capitalistic country.

Old 05-18-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Since you had a good outcome for one knee TKR, perhaps you'll have a 2nd good outcome. Many are left with a lot of issues. These surgeries are crapshoots... I'm sure you would not live with the knee I deal with, but I had a bad outcome from one joint replacement, hip job. So I'm very fearful of more surgery.

I am sorry for your situation. Pain is no fun and it sounds like you have a lot of it.

I think sometimes the surgeon himself/herself are the reason some surgeries go well and some not so well. My surgeon was highly recommended to me by someone who had it years before I did. I also think I had a lot of incentive to make it successful. I worked my butt off doing everything they asked me to do. And I took initiative and got myself going in some things I was supposed to "wait for." I live alone, no one available to help me out when I got home (I did spend the extra time in the rehab) and wanted to be able to do some things for myself.

It is really an individual thing. I might have just been plain lucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness