Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2018, 05:12 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,609,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
And why would someone dare to judge the emotional state of a woman who had just miscarried a very desired pregnancy.

The woman had been told by her doctor that there was no heartbeat, so yes, the baby was dead. The wait was for her pregnant body to realize that and to let go of the pregnancy, which in some cases can take a while. She chose to not prolong her agony but instead take a prescribed medication that would prompt her body to induce the contractions and not have to wait for however long it would take to occur on its own.
No she had not yet lost the baby, and I quote

"Each week I went for my ultra sound praying to see progress and hear the sound of little heartbeat," Arteaga wrote in her Yelp review. "Unfortunately, development isn't happening and my body is slowly getting ready to miscarry. My dr [sic] gave me two choices D & C or a prescription that will help induce bleeding and discharge in the comfort of my home."

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/sex-lov...ge-medication/

Old 06-25-2018, 05:26 PM

24,014 posts, read 15,110,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
well let me say a few things about this: first of all, based on one story and a liberal blog I am not sure I could totally believe it is 100% true. We do not know if the gal was telling the truth. As for the pharmacist, I do believe anyone has a right to do business based on religion. Remember the days when Quakers were not required to serve in the military even though all you men were required to register for the draft and serve if called or when Catholic hospitals could refuse to save the mothers life instead of the babies? I could go on and on.

I do hope assuming, the story is 100% accurate the pharmacist referred her to someone that would fill it.

It is a touchy topic to say the least. I do not know which side is right, if indeed this really happened. I can add, there are other pharmacists. Rather than make a deal out of this, just go to another drug store.
Quakers had to provide documentation that they were conscientious objectors. Most served in other capacities that did not require them to take a life.

Old 06-25-2018, 05:29 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,061,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
No she had not yet lost the baby, and I quote

"Each week I went for my ultra sound praying to see progress and hear the sound of little heartbeat," Arteaga wrote in her Yelp review. "Unfortunately, development isn't happening and my body is slowly getting ready to miscarry. My dr [sic] gave me two choices D & C or a prescription that will help induce bleeding and discharge in the comfort of my home."

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/sex-lov...ge-medication/
"praying to see progress and HEAR THE SOUND OF LITTLE HEARTBEAT" as in there was NO heartbeat to hear, as in dead.

Maybe she couldn't bring herself to use the word, just like people will say "he passed" instead of saying "he is dead".

And, her "body is slowly getting ready to miscarry".....because the fetus is dead.

I don't see where you get the idea that the fetus was still alive.

Carrying a dead fetus can endanger the life of the woman, why would anyone expect a woman to do that?

You can't murder or take the life of a corpse, so what was that pharmacist objecting to exactly?

Old 06-25-2018, 06:16 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,844,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
A woman in Arizona needed to fill a prescription for a miscarriage and the pharmacist refuses to fill it because of his religious beliefs. The woman had already seen her doctor and her fetus had no heartbeat.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/walg...183652430.html

Arizona, time to wake up and join the 21st century.

It has nothing to do with what century we're in.

He's a pharmacist employed by a store, and his job is to fill prescriptions ordered by physicians or other health care professionals. If he didn't want to do that, he should never have become a pharmacist.

Old 06-25-2018, 06:29 PM

17,354 posts, read 22,099,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The pharmacist needs to be fired. His ignorance is dangerous and he needs to choose a different line of work. It's unconscionable that he does not understand what a miscarriage is after getting a doctor of pharmacy degree.

Furthermore, if he does not want to provide the medication for the purposes of elective abortion he needs to be in another business, too.
What if they hire a Christian Scientist......they don't believe in medicine so the Pharmacy would be fine with the CS not filling any prescriptions?

Old 06-25-2018, 06:41 PM

17,605 posts, read 13,388,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
What if they hire a Christian Scientist......they don't believe in medicine so the Pharmacy would be fine with the CS not filling any prescriptions?
FYI, a PharmD degree takes at least 6-7 years, not counting any pre-pharmacy or masters degrees. At a cost of several hundred thousand dollars.

Do you think that any Christian Scientist would go to any medically related field such as pharmacy?

Old 06-25-2018, 06:51 PM

37,125 posts, read 41,316,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Well, I would not expect a Christian Scientist to want to spend the time and money to become a pharmacist. Perhaps some who believes the use of certain prescription drugs is immoral should not become a pharmacist, either, at least not one who deals with live patients.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:29 PM

16,080 posts, read 21,176,728 times
Quote:
Why couldn't the pharmacist have called the doctor for a diagnosis instead of sending a customer clear across town to chase down their prescription?
Quote:
By presenting the prescription to the pharmacy you are giving the pharmacist permission to consult with the doctor who wrote it. There is no HIPAA violation involved in the pharmacist calling the physician.
Because then we'd be discussing this article instead and stating that a pharmacist doesn't have the right to demand your diagnosis.
Cosmopolitan writer Haley Potiker described the humiliating experience she had when trying to fill her Misoprostol prescription at a CVS in 2015. Her doctor had already administered a shot to terminate her pregnancy, and the medication was the next step she needed. Instead of refusing outright, the pharmacist said she needed to hear directly from her doctor.

“I started demanding my prescription back, which took a minute and eventually ended in tears,” Potiker recounted. “She finally tossed the slip of paper onto the counter and walked away without a word.”
~ from link in the OP

Old 06-25-2018, 09:41 PM

37,125 posts, read 41,316,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Because then we'd be discussing this article instead and stating that a pharmacist doesn't have the right to demand your diagnosis.
Cosmopolitan writer Haley Potiker described the humiliating experience she had when trying to fill her Misoprostol prescription at a CVS in 2015. Her doctor had already administered a shot to terminate her pregnancy, and the medication was the next step she needed. Instead of refusing outright, the pharmacist said she needed to hear directly from her doctor.

“I started demanding my prescription back, which took a minute and eventually ended in tears,” Potiker recounted. “She finally tossed the slip of paper onto the counter and walked away without a word.”
~ from link in the OP
There is still no HIPAA violation in a pharmacist talking with a doctor who writes a prescription. They do it all the time.

In fact, the doctor could have written on the paper prescription that the medication was "for completion of spontaneous abortion" or something similar.

The condition is actually called "missed abortion":

https://www.merriam-webster.com/medi...sed%20abortion

"Medical Definition of missed abortion
: an intrauterine death of a fetus that is not followed by its immediate expulsion."

The irony of the situation is that facilities that do elective abortions would probably provide the medication itself rather than writing a prescription for it, specifically to avoid just such an incident as this one.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:04 PM

16,080 posts, read 21,176,728 times
Quote:
There is still no HIPAA violation in a pharmacist talking with a doctor who writes a prescription. They do it all the time.
And there was no law broken or policy violated in this instance either, yet here we are discussing the incident because the patient didn't understand that the pharmacist was within his rights and she decided to take it to FB and cry foul. Just like the woman in the other article who got upset and cried foul when the pharmacist DID take it to the prescribing doctor. Call the doctor, don't call the doctor, either way the spit still hits the fan when you tell a patient 'no'.
If people are going to take to public media and make these kinds of accusations and complaints I would hope they would get their facts straight first, but obviously they don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness