Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 05:18 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,946,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Instead believe everything Google and/or every arm chair doctor on the interwebz claims. Don’t question them. Do everything they tell you. After all, they know BEST about everything health related since they spent 15 minutes Googling. They’re all equally brilliant and will give you perfect advice.
Information on google comes from doctors and the same medical books doctors learned from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Of course! Any failure of a correct Google diagnosis must be based on poor research and use of keywords. My lack of a medical degree or any medical training couldn’t possibly be a factor.
Yes, I would say the failure was a result of your poor research. You’re telling me you can’t google your diagnosis and google won’t turn up results that match your symptoms? That would mean that your condition was never written. No way.

Old 07-22-2018, 05:21 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,810,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Information on google comes from doctors and the same medical books doctors learned from.
Yes, but as any good researcher will tell you it’s not just the information that matters. It’s the knowledge and experience to interpret it. The ability to Google doesn’t provide that.

Old 07-22-2018, 05:22 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,424,199 times
Quote:
Instead believe everything Google and/or every arm chair doctor on the interwebz claims. Don’t question them. Do everything they tell you. After all, they know BEST about everything health related since they spent 15 minutes Googling. They’re all equally brilliant and will give you perfect advice.
Things are seldom black or white, this vs that. Most of the time we have to use judgement and act like adults, not like trusting children. Don't trust every nutty thing you see online, but also don't trust every MD who sees you for 15 minutes.

It helps tremendously to have some background knowledge before seeing a doctor. You will understand what he says better than if you had remained perfectly trusting and ignorant.

And, since I was conned by an MD out of thousands of dollars, there is also that to look out for.

We know ourselves better than a doctor who spends a few minutes with us does. Yes, he has the diagnostic tests, the technical terminology, etc., and all that is useful. But he doesn't know how we actually feel, and does not have much time to worry about our problems.

If your health problem happens to fall nicely into a typical box, and the doctor can just look it up and find the answer, then it's easy. But very often, it is complicated and confusing. If patients don't participate the answer may never be found.

Also, many MDs today have too much faith in drugs. If you are a patient who is skeptical about drugs, then you must educate yourself to avoid falling into the drug trap.

Old 07-22-2018, 05:25 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,810,844 times
Quote:
Yes, I would say the failure was a result of your poor research. You’re telling me you can’t google your diagnosis and google won’t turn up results that match your symptoms? No way.
That’s exactly what I’m telling you. Google pain on top of foot. Here’s just one of many hits:

https://www.healthline.com/health/pa...op-of-the-foot

Nowhere in it is arthritis listed as a suspected cause. Neither is it listed in any of the many hits I read. An X-ray was the only way to definitely diagnose the cause of my pain. Can’t order one of those on Amazon.

Old 07-22-2018, 05:26 PM

369 posts, read 325,768 times
I like the second opinion feature on the internet. Doesn't get the Dr's ego hurt, not that I really care.
Google Heal Thyself.

Old 07-22-2018, 05:26 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
Quote:
I look at multiple sites and don’t see how they could be incorrect and have never seen them be incorrect. What is your reference for them being notoriously incorrect? Google delivers pages in the results based on which sites are best. I then look at 5-10 different sites, and most match up.
No....google looks at the most popular sites - how in the world would "google" judget the accuracy of millions of websites...over time, no less? You're incredibly naive.

You need to research what medical sites are accurate and up to date with their information - and yes, consult several and cross reference.

Crappy websites steal info and use the same sources as other crappy websites because they are too cheap to hire good people and take the time to thoroughly research something. Just because several websites use the same bad source doesn't mean they are correct. You have to do your due diligence and don't be so cocky or you'll be hurtin' some day. Remember, you're talking about your life, not just cheap entertainment.

Old 07-22-2018, 05:29 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
Quote:
You probably didn’t research well enough and use enough symptoms and keywords. I’ve diagnosed myself with an extremely rare headache called a cluster headache that most doctors misdiagnose even though it can easily be discovered on google.
Who confirmed your diagnosis? You went to a doctor and told them and now what is the treatment you're getting?

Quote:
Oh - your sources are online medical books?

Name a half dozen of the commonest sites you use.

Old 07-22-2018, 05:30 PM

6,306 posts, read 4,201,329 times
I find google a very useful tool but would want a professional follow up and diagnosis ,even then it’s prudent to get a second opinion when dealing with serious health issues and treatment options. I don’t think a confident doctor would feel threatened by dr.google but I can understand their concern if patients rely on it and don’t follow up with professional care.

Last edited by Spuggy; 07-22-2018 at 05:42 PM..

Old 07-22-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
No....google looks at the most popular sites - how in the world would "google" judget the accuracy of millions of websites...over time, no less? You're incredibly naive.

You need to research what medical sites are accurate and up to date with their information - and yes, consult several and cross reference.

Crappy websites steal info and use the same sources as other crappy websites because they are too cheap to hire good people and take the time to thoroughly research something. Just because several websites use the same bad source doesn't mean they are correct. You have to do your due diligence and don't be so cocky or you'll be hurtin' some day. Remember, you're talking about your life, not just cheap entertainment.

Not true. No one really knows how google determines page rankings. You are the one that is naive. They use complicated algerithems and other undisclosed methods. It’s based off quality of content mostly. If you didn’t even know this, I don’t see how you can be qualified to debate my post.

Last edited by Berteau; 07-22-2018 at 05:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness