Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 06:07 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times

Advertisements

Google and reputable, appropriately professionally reviewed websites can be helpful if you know a specific condition that you want more information about.

However, it cannot diagnose you and many (probably just about all) symptoms can be associated with more than one condition. You could treat a symptom as if it's part of relatively benign condition A, when it turns out in your case, it's actually part of much more serious condition B. Google won't tell you that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 06:09 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,946,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Google and reputable, appropriately professionally reviewed websites can be helpful if you know a specific condition that you want more information about.

However, it cannot diagnose you and many (probably just about all) symptoms can be associated with more than one condition. You could treat a symptom as if it's part of relatively benign condition A, when it turns out in your case, it's actually part of much more serious condition B. Google won't tell you that.
Wrong. I’ve correctly diagnosed myself multiple times about conditions I knew nothing about. And of course you can find out if a benign condition could be part of a more serious condition. Why couldn’t you?

Old 07-22-2018, 06:11 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,810,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I take that as a compliment. Soooo how did you not see arthritis as a possible cause when searching pain at the top of foot? I’m still confused after you gave that as an example and I found it easily on the second result.
Probably because all the arthritis discussed was about joints like the big toe joint. Or degenerative arthritis. If I had that a lot more than the top of one foot would be at play. The diagnosis that fit BEST based on the few symptoms was NOT arthritis. I suspected a stress fracture due to where the pain was (smack dab in the middle of the top of my foot nowhere close to any joint) and that I walk about 35-40 miles a week most of it on hard surfaces. That’s why I went to the doctor. That’s why the doctor ordered an X-ray. She thought a stress fracture was also most likely.

Happily it was just a patch that of arthritis that flared when I changed brands of walking shoes. The new brand had a higher arch than the old, pushing my foot up more tightly against the laces and aggregating the arthritis.
I’m sure if you had all that info you could have diagnosed it via Google and still had time for lunch.

Old 07-22-2018, 06:19 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
Quote:
You probably didn’t research well enough and use enough symptoms and keywords. I’ve diagnosed myself with an extremely rare headache called a cluster headache that most doctors misdiagnose even though it can easily be discovered on google.
Quote:
That’s because you aren’t being specific on enough symptoms. If you go to the doctor you aren’t going to just tell him you have an upset stomach. You will go into greater detail. Same thing with google. I was diagnosed with an ulcer without any tests.
And what did YOU do about it? Who confirmed your diagnosis?

Old 07-22-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Probably because all the arthritis discussed was about joints like the big toe joint. Or degenerative arthritis. If I had that a lot more than the top of one foot would be at play. The diagnosis that fit BEST based on the few symptoms was NOT arthritis. I suspected a stress fracture due to where the pain was (smack dab in the middle of the top of my foot nowhere close to any joint) and that I walk about 35-40 miles a week most of it on hard surfaces. That’s why I went to the doctor. That’s why the doctor ordered an X-ray. She thought a stress fracture was also most likely.

Happily it was just a patch that of arthritis that flared when I changed brands of walking shoes. The new brand had a higher arch than the old, pushing my foot up more tightly against the laces and aggregating the arthritis.
I’m sure if you had all that info you could have diagnosed it via Google and still had time for lunch.
Do you see the irony. The quote I posted mentioned foot arch problems and that was one of the causes. I knew nothing about that diagnosis, yet somehow I was right before your doctor had to give you an X-ray.

Old 07-22-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
And what did YOU do about it? Who confirmed your diagnosis?
The cluster headaches went away before I saw the doctor, but I learned what to avoid to keep them from coming back and treatment options. I was able to make changes before seeing the doctor. As far as stomach ulcers, you can treat with over the counter medications, so I avoided the doctor with that also and successfully treated myself.

Old 07-22-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Do you see the irony. The quote I posted mentioned foot arch problems and that was one of the causes. I knew nothing about that diagnosis, yet somehow I was right before your doctor had to give you an X-ray.
I don’t have a foot arch problem. The shoes I changed to had a higher arch insert. Nothing in your link suggests footware as a possible cause. You need to stop patting yourself on the back so much or you’ll be Googling back pain.

Old 07-22-2018, 06:26 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
Quote:
No....google looks at the most popular sites - how in the world would "google" judget the accuracy of millions of websites...over time, no less? You're incredibly naive.

You need to research what medical sites are accurate and up to date with their information - and yes, consult several and cross reference.

Crappy websites steal info and use the same sources as other crappy websites because they are too cheap to hire good people and take the time to thoroughly research something. Just because several websites use the same bad source doesn't mean they are correct. You have to do your due diligence and don't be so cocky or you'll be hurtin' some day. Remember, you're talking about your life, not just cheap entertainment.

Quote:
Not true. No one really knows how google determines page rankings. You are the one that is naive. They use complicated algerithems and other undisclosed methods. It’s based off quality of content mostly. If you didn’t even know this, I don’t see how you can be qualified to debate my post.
Popularity is a huge part of their algorithm and if you don't know that then you're incredibly ignorant of how they work.

Quote:
Who confirmed your diagnosis? You went to a doctor and told them and now what is the treatment you're getting?

Oh - your sources are online medical books?

Name a half dozen of the commonest sites you use.
Convenient that you won't respond to my other issues... you won't/can't name the sites you use...afraid you'll be giving away your "secrets"? And you don't "know" that any of your diagnoses are correct...especially since you can't run any tests to confirm even that portion of the diagnostic criteria.

Old 07-22-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Popularity is a huge part of their algorithm and if you don't know that then you're incredibly ignorant of how they work.

Convenient that you won't respond to my other issues... you won't/can't name the sites you use...afraid you'll be giving away your "secrets"? And you don't "know" that any of your diagnoses are correct...especially since you can't run any tests to confirm even that portion of the diagnostic criteria.
You said popularity is THE WAY they rank pages. You were wrong. Quality is the largest factor they use. You did not say that.

You are ignorant of how google works. There aren’t “sites you use”. The site could be different every time based on the condition and results and quality of other sites increasing or decreasing. Most sources are from doctors or medical journals.

I rarely gets tests from a doctor unless the problem isn’t improving from what they thought it was.

Old 07-22-2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:

Good point. It’s easy to diagnose and subsequently “cure” yourself when there’s no confirmation of you having the thing you diagnosed. My ex SIL was famous for that. We all kept hoping she’d Google hypochondria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness