Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 01:37 AM

24,636 posts, read 9,458,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
It's very simply too much food (whether that's because of cheap food or fast food or larger portion sizes) plus too little movement (whether that's because of cars or technology or labor-saving devices). It's always just the two basic elements, usually combined.
Yup. Problem is America is now addicted to this food, and it’s going to cost taxpayers a crap load of money in healthcare costs.

Welcome to America: we rather eat ourselves to death than go to the gym.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 02:59 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,016,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
If I eat a very low-fat/high-carb diet, I can eat a lot and not get fat.

Ditto if I eat a very low-carb/high-fat diet.

The difference is I physically feel much better doing a very low-carb diet.
I actually feel terrible on both. Low fat makes me feel terrible health wise. My overall body feel blech! Low carb makes me feel terrible mentally, my brain chemistry goes sideways somehow and I'm off my rocker crazy (and the carb cravings are out of this world).

I moderate both - along the lines of IIFYM (if it fits your macros).

Old 10-22-2018, 08:11 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_C View Post
I actually feel terrible on both. Low fat makes me feel terrible health wise. My overall body feel blech! Low carb makes me feel terrible mentally, my brain chemistry goes sideways somehow and I'm off my rocker crazy (and the carb cravings are out of this world).

I moderate both - along the lines of IIFYM (if it fits your macros).

Thumbs up, wish that would work for me. My blood-sugar does a march upwards if I eat a moderate diet.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:15 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I put myself on an extreme low carb diet for about 18 months and dropped from 173lbs down to 127lbs. The last couple of weeks I reintroduced some additional carbs and I am back up to 133lbs over the last two weeks. Now everyone including my primary care physician had been saying that I got too skinny. According to my doctor my BMI was down to 19.6 and he didn't like that. Like you the higher carb intake makes me feel worse than the low carb diet. The last couple of weeks I have felt noticeably less energetic and less able to concentrate on things when compared to the time I was eating very little carbs.

For some people, including me, adding additional carbs to a very low-carb diet, makes them feel worse physically and mentally.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:44 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
I came across an interesting article in Psychology Today, that brings up the idea that for some people moderation is the key, and for some, abstaining is the better strategy:

Are You an Abstainer or a Moderator?
I'm firmly a moderator Abstaining just promotes bingeing for me, which is no bueno. The takeaway is the tailor your diet to your individual tendencies and run with that.

Low carb absolutely doesn't work for me and produces crap results activity wise. Maybe people who aren't active can rely on that, and I can see carb cycling, but I need fuel or I get diminishing returns. Low energy, can't lift a dang thing.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:58 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
"Everything in moderation...including moderation." Julia Child

Old 10-23-2018, 03:18 PM

776 posts, read 394,754 times
I've read that there's been a correlation between declining smoking rates and rising obesity rates since the Surgeon General's Report of 1964.

Old 10-24-2018, 05:42 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
I came across an interesting article in Psychology Today, that brings up the idea that for some people moderation is the key, and for some, abstaining is the better strategy:

Are You an Abstainer or a Moderator?
I for one can’t do moderation. If I have ice cream in my house, I’ll eat the whole thing. So I can’t buy it. I can buy water ice and eat it in moderation, so that’s what I do.

I think the overall mental health of Americans plays a role too. Many, many people overeat due to depression. We have almost all been soothed with a cookie when kids. Food is comfort, food is escape, food is all kinds of things aside from sustenance.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:50 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I for one can’t do moderation. If I have ice cream in my house, I’ll eat the whole thing. So I can’t buy it. I can buy water ice and eat it in moderation, so that’s what I do.

I think the overall mental health of Americans plays a role too. Many, many people overeat due to depression. We have almost all been soothed with a cookie when kids. Food is comfort, food is escape, food is all kinds of things aside from sustenance.
I agree; increasing levels of isolation, boredom, loneliness, lack of a sense of purpose and uselessness (no one really has to work anymore except at a paid job, and many not even that) lead to overeating as a form of, if nothing else, entertainment. And, again, it's not like the old days when you had to spend half the day preparing whatever it was you were going to eat unless it was an apple.

Old 11-27-2018, 03:03 PM

39 posts, read 101,788 times
Not everyone was meant to be slim, plain and simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness