Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 07:00 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times

Advertisements

I read where 80,000 people had died from the flu last year and I thought that was a huge number of people to die from the flu. Car crashes kill a little less than 40,000 now.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018...than-expected/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2018, 07:34 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I read where 80,000 people had died from the flu last year and I thought that was a huge number of people to die from the flu. Car crashes kill a little less than 40,000 now.

I've heard that number too, and a nice round 80K, sure seems very high to me. I know it was a bad flu year but that bad? So many numbers out there I never know who/what to believe. I say keep oneself as healthy as one can...I have and do.

Old 09-27-2018, 08:10 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
Yeah, it's a big number. And you can put 'flu deaths 2017' into any search engine and they'll all say pretty much say the same thing because the numbers come from the CDC. Short of someone offering to keep track of flu deaths himself, there really is no other person or organization to get those numbers from.

For people who don't like the CDC, though, I think given the dedication of CDC doctors and the work they do, I tend to lean towards the side of believing them. People don't have to work for the CDC and we don't have to have a public health agency. But if we had a smallpox epidemic tomorrow, with no CDC intervention we could have 2.25 billion people dead from that instead.

Old 09-28-2018, 09:09 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Quote:
Yeah, it's a big number. And you can put 'flu deaths 2017' into any search engine and they'll all say pretty much say the same thing because the numbers come from the CDC. Short of someone offering to keep track of flu deaths himself, there really is no other person or organization to get those numbers from.

For people who don't like the CDC, though, I think given the dedication of CDC doctors and the work they do, I tend to lean towards the side of believing them. People don't have to work for the CDC and we don't have to have a public health agency. But if we had a smallpox epidemic tomorrow, with no CDC intervention we could have 2.25 billion people dead from that instead.
The flu takes out older people, children, and those with compromised immune systems. So I believe the CDC's numbers. Last year it also took out some healthy adults.

NO DEBATING FLU SHOTS.

Last edited by in_newengland; 09-28-2018 at 09:51 AM..

Old 09-28-2018, 09:33 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I've heard that number too, and a nice round 80K, sure seems very high to me. I know it was a bad flu year but that bad? So many numbers out there I never know who/what to believe. I say keep oneself as healthy as one can...I have and do.

Based on something I just watched, last flu season was the worst it has been in awhile. We had so many positive flu tests.

They were actually thinking it could be higher than that, because those numbers are based on those who have been diagnosed with the flu and how things are reported out. Same thing when people get GI illnesses---there are probably far more than are reported out.

I'm pretty healthy and the last time I got the flu, my parents almost rushed me to the ER.

Old 09-28-2018, 09:54 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
REMEMBER: No debating on flu shots. Infractions have already been issued. This thread is merely an announcement.

Old 09-29-2018, 04:28 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
Quote:

The very high number that is always quoted includes both pneumonia and flu deaths. It is high because of pneumonia not flu.

A way to check is to view the statistics provided by the National Vital Statistics System at
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/index.htm

Here's a link to the 2018 report, which includes data from 2016:
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr67/nvsr67_05.pdf

Number of caused by pneumonia AND influenza is 51, 537
Number of deaths caused by influenza is ... no longer being reported??? They've removed it??? YES

This report is the first I've seen that no longer has a death statistic for influenza. I guess they are no longer tracking influenza deaths, which are a very small number of the 30K to 50K figure that is always used as a scare tactic.

Historically, influenza deaths are generally about 400 to 1000 per year. A check of previous data will confirm this figure. Anyone can go and check through the previous data.

But. Wow. Eliminating a count of influenza deaths? There's no way to know how many people have died from influenza. it could be 1% of the figure it could be 50% of the figure. No way to tell. Completely misleading. And unscientific.

Moderator cut: verging on flu debate

So I revise my statement: There is no way to know the number of deaths caused by influenza. It isn't being reported.

Last edited by in_newengland; 09-29-2018 at 04:55 AM..

Old 09-29-2018, 06:15 AM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
The very high number that is always quoted includes both pneumonia and flu deaths. It is high because of pneumonia not flu.

A way to check is to view the statistics provided by the National Vital Statistics System at

Number of deaths caused by influenza is ... no longer being reported??? They've removed it??? YES

This report is the first I've seen that no longer has a death statistic for influenza. I guess they are no longer tracking influenza deaths, which are a very small number of the 30K to 50K figure that is always used as a scare tactic.

Historically, influenza deaths are generally about 400 to 1000 per year. A check of previous data will confirm this figure. Anyone can go and check through the previous data.

But. Wow. Eliminating a count of influenza deaths? There's no way to know how many people have died from influenza. it could be 1% of the figure it could be 50% of the figure. No way to tell. Completely misleading. And unscientific.

So I revise my statement: There is no way to know the number of deaths caused by influenza. It isn't being reported.
States are required to report childhood deaths, not so for adults. I believe the number of children was 178. Exact number; not some rounded number. Huge number then for adults in comparison to children. News reported some young, healthy adults who died, but those reports didn't come anywhere near the number of children. Old people? Well of the entire population elderly vaccinations rates are highest of all age groups.

You mentioned sites being taken down. HHS Tracking of Flu Vaccination claims for Medicare Beneficiaries; under 64 and over 65. It listed the total number of beneficiaries in each county in each state, and then the exact number of beneficiaries who had put in Medicare claims, with the percentages. It was updated monthly. That site was taken down last November. Why?

Another report I read said that this year's flu was the worst since in the 1970's. Worse than the 2009 PANDEMIC? So why wasn't a pandemic declared last year then? 1970's? Were they talking about that 1976 Flu? Nothing more needs to be said about that for anyone old enough to remember that.

Old 09-29-2018, 08:12 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post

That is totally incorrect. This is a good explanation: https://www.verywellhealth.com/flu-a...y-state-770500
"If you are looking for more in-depth information about the flu in your state, your local health department may have what you need. Many (but not all) of the state health department websites track flu activity across their states."
https://www.colorado.gov/cdphe
https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/cdphe/influenza
"Surveillance for the 2017-2018 influenza season officially began on Oct. 1, 2017, and will run through May 26, 2018. The Colorado Flu Report is published weekly to provide a concise and up-to-date summary of influenza activity in Colorado. Current surveillance activities include:

Reporting of hospitalizations due to influenza.
Reporting of influenza-like illness (ILI) visits by selected sites.
Reporting of influenza testing activity by sentinel hospital labs.
Monitoring circulating influenza viruses through molecular typing, reporting outbreaks of influenza in long-term care facilities (LTCF).
Reporting of pediatric deaths due to influenza."

Old 09-29-2018, 09:58 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Adult flu deaths for the country are estimated, but the estimate is based on extrapolation from sites in the country that do count the actual number of deaths. It is not true that no one knows how many adults die from flu related causes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness