Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 12:04 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,561,309 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
so the title says it all. what do you find the work best for your aches and pains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2018, 12:19 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Advil or aspirin. But don't use aspirin if you must take multiple doses a day. I still love aspirin and use it for most all temporary aches and pains.

Old 12-01-2018, 03:16 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Hello All,
so the title says it all. what do you find the work best for your aches and pains.
Well, there are two basic types of OTC analgesics: aspirin/ibuprofen (NSAIDS) and acetaminophen. They relieve pain in different ways. NSAIDS reduce nerve ending irritation (that produces pain) and acetaminophen affects how the brain detects/recognizes pain (so it's still there, you are just less aware of it). NSAIDS are harder on your stomach so that may matter for you. I use aspirin, acetaminophen, or ibuprofen depending on other meds I might be using at the moment. Some offer time-release formulas but in my limited experience I haven't found they actually work that much better. Sometimes lower dosages more often are more effective. I don't tend to have stomach issues so have the choice.

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-01-2018 at 03:34 PM..

Old 12-01-2018, 03:24 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
OP: What seems to help me the most is ibuprofen, every 6 hrs. And to that I often add an supplement called Pain RX. I don't love the ibuprofen as I know there is plenty of damage that can be done from taking it.

While I was having Prolo for my knee, the D.O. preached to get off ibuprofen and his injections got me off ibuprofen and then when I urged him for the 5th injection and ended up with a staph infection and all the mess I've been thru, here I am back worse off and on ibp.

I also take and tried a lot of arthritic/joint building supplements, and magnesium of course.

We're all different, live with varying degrees of arthritis and as I've said a lot, I'm not rushing to do another replacement.

Always take ibuprofen with food in my stomach, always.

I use many topicals and find too essential oils for pain do help and again depending on how advanced issues are, they can help a lot or less.

Old 12-01-2018, 04:23 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,020 times
Is this an as needed medication or a daily every day for the rest of your life medication? If as needed I’d stick with ibuprofen or Tylenol (you can even do both at the same time) but if it’s daily I would y’all to your doctor to figure out the safest option for long term use. Celebrex may be an option and is generally gentler on your GI system than other nsaids but requires a prescription.

Old 12-01-2018, 05:16 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
Is this an as needed medication or a daily every day for the rest of your life medication? If as needed I’d stick with ibuprofen or Tylenol (you can even do both at the same time) but if it’s daily I would y’all to your doctor to figure out the safest option for long term use. Celebrex may be an option and is generally gentler on your GI system than other nsaids but requires a prescription.
I believe Celebrex is similar to or close to the drug Vioxx which was taken off the market not long after it came on the scene. I have never taken it and fear it also, and cost for me is prohibitive. I took a pharma drug back in the 80's for inflammation and it gave me a stomach ulcer, nope.

Old 12-01-2018, 05:18 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,485,925 times
I take Move Free, plus I avoid dairy products and soy. These seem to help.

Old 12-01-2018, 05:28 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
for me, a combination of topical arnica gel or oils and magnesium cream bring significant relief and mobility. 200c Arnica pillules dissolved under the tongue bring amazing relief, too.

as well, I use a TENS unit … sometimes every evening for 20 minutes, sometimes twice a day. But I've been able to get by without using it lately for two weeks. The TENS unit was cheap … $25 at Walgreens and I've only had to replace the gel pads with another 6-pack from Walgreens after many months of use. Still on the original batteries now after 8 months of use.

there will be, no doubt … naysayers on this forum who will gladly tell us that what I'm doing "cannot work". I don't know why it does, just that the routine does work quite well for me. What works for me and for them are not necessarily the same thing.

I prefer to not use NSAID's (which caused me a pyloric ulcer despite using them in moderation and always with food in my stomach), and ibp puts me at risk for liver damage, no thanks. YMMV.

PS: you might also want to investigate "celery juicing". A recent issue of Well Being Journal featured an article on this regimen and I started it (16 oz first thing in the AM) 5 weeks ago. What got my attention was that the RA folk also recommend using the celery juice. Do a web search, read up on this and satisfy yourself as to whether or not it may be worth trying. A key aspect is the anti-inflammatory aspects of the celery juice. So far, for me, the results are noticeable and my fingers are working more freely with a greater range of pain-free motion than I've had in years. I've not needed the Arnica is weeks. Again, YMMV.

Last edited by sunsprit; 12-01-2018 at 05:38 PM..

Old 12-02-2018, 08:56 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Alcohol and Xanax. But then I'll be trading arthritis relief for a failed liver. What to do, what to do....

Old 12-02-2018, 09:00 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,053,058 times
A lot of NSAID's are toxic to the liver and kidneys when taken regularly for a chronic condition, over a long period. Even Tylenol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness