Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 11:12 PM

130 posts, read 81,307 times

Advertisements

A doctor suggested a pillow for a family member that is designed for the back sleep position but did not name a specific product- just said go to stores that specialized in either beds or back care and there would be several pillows that are designed for the back sleep position that will help with neck pain. I found a pillow online that is a cervical support pillow that is fully adjustable (dual zipper design provides full access to pillow filling to adjust to your desired firmness), has doctor-recommended contour design (it looks like a "built-in" indentation in the middle) that claims to help reduce neck and back pain & improve cervical health, is hypoallergenic, and has all natural materials. It is expensive. Does this sound worth it? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2018, 09:02 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
Sounds good...better than a rolled up towel that I sometimes used, until
my sister gave me a pillow kinda shaped like a dog bone....it's better than a towel, and when I'm feeling sore I use it...it really does relieve the neck, (almost instantly) when you lay on it rather than the regular pillow.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:50 AM

130 posts, read 81,307 times
Default specialty pillow for senior citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Sounds good...better than a rolled up towel that I sometimes used, until
my sister gave me a pillow kinda shaped like a dog bone....it's better than a towel, and when I'm feeling sore I use it...it really does relieve the neck, (almost instantly) when you lay on it rather than the regular pillow.
Thank you very much.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:35 AM

Hope it gives your family member some relief.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:41 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,844,095 times
I used to have neck pain as soon as my head hit the pillow. I figured out that if I use a thin flat pillow I have no pain at all. I buy the Walmart pillows that are about $2.47 (I kid you not) and they are the only pillow I can use. The nice thick or memory foam, etc pillows don't work for me. Any other thickness cause stabbing pain upon contact.

I used to wake up with crick that lasted all day before discovering the flatter than average pillow at Walmart.

Old 12-15-2018, 02:09 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Your "need" in a pillow can change over time. Just because you used a thick pillow for years doesn't mean you might always do better with one. I go through periods when I get the best rest with one or the other, so I keep a variety around. I don't have any trouble actually sleeping. Problem is you don't necessarily notice the shift in what the old bod happens to want for a while....because you are inconveniently asleep at the time

Old 12-18-2018, 11:04 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,186,208 times
I was having daily pain due to a disc injury in my cervical spine. Then pain went on for months, even after a cortisone shot. Desperate for relief I bought a pillow off of Amazon that is designed for the cervical spine and I have used nothing else since. My pain has gone away, except for a rare flare up now and then. This pillow travels with me, and when I don't have it and usue an ordinary pillow the pain starts to come back.

So get the pillow, hopefully it's worth every penny spent, mine is.

Old 12-18-2018, 11:21 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
There are many pillows out there and I'm using one over 10 yrs which is temperpedic with a neck contour. It was probably $50 or so long ago, so one has to try and find what works for them. Cortisone injections are not the answers.

Old 02-06-2019, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Cortisone injections are not the answers.
couldn't agree more!!!

Old 02-06-2019, 07:58 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Several years ago I tried a memory foam, cervical pillow that simply was uncomfortable for me. I took it back. I could not get a comfortable night's sleep with that thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness