Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 05:56 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times

Advertisements

The old thread I found is closed, but I need feedback now. This is me venting, and getting my pros and cons sorted out. Any insight anyone has is much appreciated.

I’ve been getting shots in my knees for osteoarthritis for ten years now, both cortisone and the other gel one. My ortho doctor’s philosophy is, if it doesn’t hurt, it doesn’t matter, and when I am ready for surgery, I will know. My issue is not pain, so much as it is weakness. I’m not bone on bone yet. I’m glad he’s not a surgery pusher, but it doesn’t make it easier to decide the best course of action.

I just came off a 2 week trip with other people my age that involved a lot of walking, uneven surfaces and steps, and it really gave me a wake up call about how bad my knees are. I find my world getting smaller, because I’m afraid of falling, afraid there will be stairs, etc. I would never go shopping at a mall now....you get it. I also have back, foot and ankle pain at times, because I think my posture and balance, due to my knees, affect them.

My fears of knee replacement are that something will go wrong, and I will be worse off than I am now, that I’ll get a blood clot and die (I’ve had 2 before). I also am fond of all my original, god given, parts and I am resistant to let them go. I still regret having a rear molar removed instead of getting a crown.

On the plus side, many friends my age and older have had good results from knee replacements.
I have a strong healthy husband who will help me recover.
I’m not getting any younger (70).
Both my husband and son are nagging me to fix myself, because they plainly see I have a problem.

My finger has been poised over the phone since I got back from the trip. I’m afraid to get the ball rolling on surgery.

Old 05-24-2018, 08:21 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Haven't had the surgery but as a med prof, know that while the recovery can take awhile,
the results have people feeling they wished they'd done it sooner...

Old 05-24-2018, 08:35 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
A guy I know just had both of his replaced in series (the first one and then the other a few months later). In both cases he was up and about, with a cane, in 4 or 5 days. The last one was done the first week of April and he's now doing his summer job which involves a lot of walking on a boardwalk and beach.

Age is mid-60s, former athlete (which may have a bearing).

My mother had one replaced in her late 70s (this was around 1998) and had no issues. My mother in law had one replaced several years ago needs to have her other one done but keeps putting it off for reasons unrelated to the surgery.

At least you're not my old goose hunting buddy. He's had both knees and both hips replaced.

If they had ankles I'd get one in a New York minute.

Old 05-24-2018, 09:18 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,698 times
Honestly I would go for it. I’ve had multiple knee surgeries and will need a replacement some day. I consent to surgery once it reaches a point where I can’t do any exercise and have constant pain that OTC meds can’t control. At your age I would have a replacement without thinking twice. Some of the newer ones last 25 years and the odds of being alive at 95 are pretty slim.

Old 05-24-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
Honestly I would go for it. I’ve had multiple knee surgeries and will need a replacement some day. I consent to surgery once it reaches a point where I can’t do any exercise and have constant pain that OTC meds can’t control. At your age I would have a replacement without thinking twice. Some of the newer ones last 25 years and the odds of being alive at 95 are pretty slim.
Yes, I’m leaning that way. I made the appointment to discuss for mid June, so I have a few weeks to stew about it. I will have probably made friends with the idea by then. Once I decide, then I’ll want it behind me at warp speed.

Old 05-24-2018, 11:21 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,188,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

If they had ankles I'd get one in a New York minute.
They do have ankle replacements. Outcomes are not as good as knees and hips, however. The implant itself is very small, but has to bear significant weight, so there's higher chance of failure. If you think you might go that route, I would recommend only having it done by an Orthopedic Surgeon who is fellowship trained in Foot and Ankle and does a fair amount of them.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 05-24-2018 at 12:45 PM..

Old 05-24-2018, 02:14 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,230,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
They do have ankle replacements. Outcomes are not as good as knees and hips, however. The implant itself is very small, but has to bear significant weight, so there's higher chance of failure. If you think you might go that route, I would recommend only having it done by an Orthopedic Surgeon who is fellowship trained in Foot and Ankle and does a fair amount of them.
Echo was Texas Ag has said, ankle replacements are available. If your ankles are limiting you see a Foot and Ankle Orthopedic surgeon with a lot of experience in ankle replacement.

OP

You have valid concerns especially the blood clot history is no joke if considering joint replacement.

One statement you made though is interesting comparing the knee replacement to having molar pulled rather than a crown....in fact the knee replacement is more analogous to having a crown...it's just the end of the femur and top of the tibia being capped...

Old 05-24-2018, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Echo was Texas Ag has said, ankle replacements are available. If your ankles are limiting you see a Foot and Ankle Orthopedic surgeon with a lot of experience in ankle replacement.

OP

You have valid concerns especially the blood clot history is no joke if considering joint replacement.

One statement you made though is interesting comparing the knee replacement to having molar pulled rather than a crown....in fact the knee replacement is more analogous to having a crown...it's just the end of the femur and top of the tibia being capped...
Ok, so it is not what I’m picturing? Cut open knee...take a big saw and saw below and above....place fake knee where there is none....fasten it somehow to the leg bone and thigh bone.

I will be educating myself, and will probably watch a few YouTubes beforehand, but what you describe sounds a lot less scary.

Old 05-24-2018, 03:39 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,230,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Ok, so it is not what I’m picturing? Cut open knee...take a big saw and saw below and above....place fake knee where there is none....fasten it somehow to the leg bone and thigh bone.

I will be educating myself, and will probably watch a few YouTubes beforehand, but what you describe sounds a lot less scary.
There is a big cut (unless you qualify for mini open or partial knee replacement) and yes there is a lot of bone cutting that goes on but it is more shaping (boxing) the end of the femur to fit the femoral component which is essentially a cap on the end of the bone, taking a thin slice off the top of the tibia to attach the tibial component and shaving the back of the knee cap to apply the patellar component...

Old 05-24-2018, 06:15 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,698 times
Gentlearts I also have a history of DVT and they just prescribe blood thinners and you’re good to go. They usually have me on them for 1-2 months post op depending on the nature of the surgery. They’ll keep a close eye on it but it’s not a reason to avoid entirely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness