Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 08:24 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times

Advertisements

What are spousals right to have medical access to their partner?

That's the topic. Spousal rights. Not a debate about the definition of alcoholism. If you have help to offer, okay. If you're going to fight over alcoholism=deleted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 12:09 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20377631

I found this link to symptoms and complications of sleep apnea. Alcohol is a contributor, as is being male, overweight and diabetic. I want to encourage you to have a look at the article. If these symptoms and associations sound like your husband, then I suspect your doc is on the right track.

Apparently sleep apnea can cause lack of focus, which is a symptom you have noticed in his conversation.

Encourage your husband to use his CPAP. If he complains about disconfort, see about getting an adjustment, if that is feasible. I also think that he should talk with his doc about whether cutting back on alcohol is a good idea, and if it would help with his apnea.

Some men find it very hard to change habits. Through the years I’ve seen diabetic guys who never change how they eat, or get exercise, for instance. Your DH does not want to put up with, or admit he needs, the CPAP. But his doc thinks otherwise. Instead of searching for other answers, I think you should strongly encourage him to sleep at night with the CPAP for at least a month, to see how it helps or does not help. If it does not help, then you both can revisit the doc.

If he refuses to use the CPAP, then, IMO, you have another problem which I do not think YOU will be able to solve.
Some people of both genders find it very hard to change habits. Never saw diabetic "gals" who don't change how they eat or exercise?

Old 01-30-2019, 12:12 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
In my state , a spouse can do any of the following: commit their spouse to a psychiatric ward. Review and grant permission for testing of the spouse. Grant surgical procedures. Without a 200$ consult by a lawyer to draw up papers.
The next of kin law remains in effect ...that in the event a family member is capacited it follows a chain of command. Spouse....parent, children of legal age.
Our hospital is stringent in protecting patient records...the spouse though is allowed to be informed if they so inquire on procedures...prognosis.
It sure seems counter productive to not encapsulate the spouse in medical decisions or awareness...they are accountable for the welfare according to the laws.
I seriously cannot marry again because giving my spouse the power to toss me in the loony bin just isn't a romantic gesture...
That sounds like a violation of HIPAA regulations if you mean they do it without the patient's approval.

http://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-profess...nds/index.html

Old 01-30-2019, 10:11 AM

12,042 posts, read 8,425,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
What are spousals right to have medical access to their partner?

That's the topic. Spousal rights. Not a debate about the definition of alcoholism. If you have help to offer, okay. If you're going to fight over alcoholism=deleted.
Thanks for the reminder.

Remember, just because the medical system can't inform you doesn't mean that you can't give them all the information that you believe is pertinent to good treatment and diagnosis. It can be very useful to them.

As for an opinion, when the HIPAA rules were established they seemed like a good idea but now that we have seen the complications they have created I think there is a need for modification of standards.

These rules are made by people sitting in rooms thinking. Unfortunately they can also be influenced by political climate rather than actual human needs. Sometimes they have to be played out in peoples' lives before all the glitches can be spotted and fix.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:27 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Thanks for the reminder.

Remember, just because the medical system can't inform you doesn't mean that you can't give them all the information that you believe is pertinent to good treatment and diagnosis. It can be very useful to them.

As for an opinion, when the HIPAA rules were established they seemed like a good idea but now that we have seen the complications they have created I think there is a need for modification of standards.

These rules are made by people sitting in rooms thinking. Unfortunately they can also be influenced by political climate rather than actual human needs. Sometimes they have to be played out in peoples' lives before all the glitches can be spotted and fix.
The poster is Canadian. HIPAA does not apply.

Old 01-30-2019, 02:16 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
I think OP needs to actually speak to someone knowledgeable about or in - Canada to get factual information.

Old 02-01-2019, 04:52 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torontobase View Post
Thank you silibran.
When we went to see the doctor, we expressed concert of alzheimer's or dementia. This is when the doctor did some tests and suggested a sleep test where we discovered he has severe sleep apnea. I've seen some improvement, but he doesn't use it daily (machine is noisy and not comfortable).

Again, I am feeling very frustrated and I need to know what is wrong with him so I can get him help. He doesn't think there is anything wrong, mostly. My observation is that he hasn't improved and other people who are in touch with him notice he isn't getting better, (unable to finish a sentence, rambles and cannot directly answer a question). I don't think this doctor is being truthful to me and I can see my husband getting worse. I can't seem to get anywhere and it is affecting my life, my work that I cannot afford to lose.

In Canada, it is getting worse that you are not allowed to get second opinion. When you sign up at doctor's office, they only want you to visit their clinics.

I do not appreciate any sarcastic remarks. I came on here hoping someone may have an answer or someone who've seen these similar situation with their family or friends.
I also trying to find a way how I can have this doctor be honest with me so that I can try to get him help.

Just maybe it is a combination of things, but I really need some honesty from this doctor so that I can move forward to help my husband.
Why would you think you can't get a second opinion. Every Canadian knows they can. In fact that is one of the great things about our system. You aren't limited by networks or who your insurance covers. Are you new to Canada?

Also, if he is hiding information from you, I doubt a second or third opinion will make much difference, since the new doctor won't be divulging information to you.

https://www.legalline.ca/legal-answe...ealth-records/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness