Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 09:44 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times

Advertisements

I'm 32 and have been a pretty heavy drinker for a decade. Over the years, I've gained weight. My natural weight in college when I was doing physical labor was around 190. I was a very serious weightlifter in high school and college, and have kept doing it recreationally. My drinking pace has easily been thirty beers a week on average. I also mostly drink craft beer, so more calories. My peak weight was about 255, though I've been floating around 245, give or take five pounds, for the past two months. Blood work for cholesterol, A1C, etc., was taken last fall and all was normal. I'm still very active and walk at least a mile on my lunch hour, weather permitting, gym three times a week, and hike. I'm on a multivitamin, an OTC test booster, and milk thistle.

I haven't had an alcoholic beverage since Saturday night. I feel weird. I wear an Apple Watch to bed and have AutoSleep on. I've gone from maybe 1-2 hours of deep sleep a night while drinking to 4-5. While drinking, I was getting up to pee every hour or two. A heavy night on the bottle led to a choppy sleep like an apnea patient.

Last night, I was in bed from 12-7, no standing, .and the watch records a standing hour in the time it takes me to go to the restroom. That's the first time I truly slept "through the night" without a restroom break in ages. I did cardio and weights yesterday, and still felt fine afterward.

What did you notice when you reduced or stopped alcohol consumption?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 10:20 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,656,400 times
I just know this from observing someone else - if you are actually "detoxing," from what I understand the third, fourth, and fifth days might be the roughest. Some people display very agitated behavior and some have "sundown syndrome," where it gets worse when the sun goes down.

Hydrate and eat healthy, and take it easy.

Lots of resources and forums on the web.

Congrats for trying something healthy.

Old 02-20-2019, 06:13 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
OP you are on a good track. I am certainly not saying any of us need not drink. God only knows my friend is my 2 or 3 glasses of wine a night.. But that being said, too much of anything isn't good for us and the getting up to pee is the perfect example or the getting a better nights sleep makes us all feel better.

Now for this topic or drinking it seems to be one that is discussed under a new heading every few weeks and the same people will post the same thing, just like I am doing now. I do not think alcohol in moderation ever hurt anyone. I know for many stopping drinking or cutting back is helping them feel better. That is awesome. What I can't understand is why some people want to lecture others on their habits or come off sounding so self rightness. We will see those posting here anytime now.

Old 02-20-2019, 07:16 AM

3,695 posts, read 2,415,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'm 32 and have been a pretty heavy drinker for a decade. Over the years, I've gained weight. My natural weight in college when I was doing physical labor was around 190. I was a very serious weightlifter in high school and college, and have kept doing it recreationally. My drinking pace has easily been thirty beers a week on average. I also mostly drink craft beer, so more calories. My peak weight was about 255, though I've been floating around 245, give or take five pounds, for the past two months. Blood work for cholesterol, A1C, etc., was taken last fall and all was normal. I'm still very active and walk at least a mile on my lunch hour, weather permitting, gym three times a week, and hike. I'm on a multivitamin, an OTC test booster, and milk thistle.

I haven't had an alcoholic beverage since Saturday night. I feel weird. I wear an Apple Watch to bed and have AutoSleep on. I've gone from maybe 1-2 hours of deep sleep a night while drinking to 4-5. While drinking, I was getting up to pee every hour or two. A heavy night on the bottle led to a choppy sleep like an apnea patient.

What did you notice when you reduced or stopped alcohol consumption?
I noticed lots of fat loss, higher libido, and yes much better sleep like you noted and better thinking.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:59 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,542,422 times
Better sleep was the biggest thing for me. More money as well.

Old 02-20-2019, 11:18 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,764,479 times
Personally and I've done my share of imbibing in the 30-60 yrs, I feel much smarter to be not drinking alcohol and would rather put my money in good quality water than booze. My sleep is good with my sleep combo so don't know if there is a connection there for me, I've stopped alcohol probably 10 yrs now. I was a light drinker to begin with, even now I might ask a friend to split a glass of Stella beer when we're out and I'm in the mood.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 02-20-2019 at 11:27 AM..

Old 02-20-2019, 09:02 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,764,557 times
DH and I used to drink quite a bit when we first got together. Him more than me. We had our first child and pretty much stopped.

We feel like the weird ones now. Just about everyone we know drinks regularly. It’s just part of their life.

I can say we both felt better. I know that both of us have crept up with weight over the years even without alcohol.

I’m not saying we’re against alcohol. We’re just so used to not drinking that we just don’t. Maybe one out at dinner every once in a while but not several.

Kudos to you for trying to just get healthier. Nothing wrong with that at all.

I have to ask, did you see alcohol as becoming a problem for you and decided to stop? Or was it just that you wanted to? I’m curious is all. No disrespect intended.

Old 02-20-2019, 10:27 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,792,339 times
I have gone from daily drinking to this year I stopped on the New Year and most of Jan I was dry, I noticed an enormous difference - much more energy, better sleep and better alertness. I consider myself an excessive drinker on occasion but I don't drink excessively each day but even so it made a huge difference. I think in your case it will be a massive difference. Good luck.

btw, I have a huge weakness for craft beer as well, in fact that is how I got started drinking when someone introduced me to the "good stuff" lol!

I've tried quitting many times in the last 5 years but it's tough when you enjoy something... I guess the challenge is finding the balance to enjoy it responsibly.

Old 02-21-2019, 09:25 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,823,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
OP you are on a good track. I am certainly not saying any of us need not drink. God only knows my friend is my 2 or 3 glasses of wine a night.. But that being said, too much of anything isn't good for us and the getting up to pee is the perfect example or the getting a better nights sleep makes us all feel better.

Now for this topic or drinking it seems to be one that is discussed under a new heading every few weeks and the same people will post the same thing, just like I am doing now. I do not think alcohol in moderation ever hurt anyone. I know for many stopping drinking or cutting back is helping them feel better. That is awesome. What I can't understand is why some people want to lecture others on their habits or come off sounding so self rightness. We will see those posting here anytime now.
(cant rep you anymore)

You are right about the never ending posts demonizing alcohol. I also agree that moderation in all things is a good rule of thumb. There are of course outliers where family genetics come into play, or a health issue that crops up and drinking alcohol needs to stop.

I am a wine drinker and normally its a few glasses a night or every few nights. My husband and I take January and most of February off to get rid of the excesses of the previous year and I notice besides weight loss I do sleep better. But the enjoyment of wine not only with my husband but with friends and my job (I'm in the wine industry) outweigh those plusses. I don't drink much, usually 2 glasses, of exceptional wine (perks of the job).

Old 02-22-2019, 03:01 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,204,357 times
My sleeping thanks me and my liver thanks me for being 3 years sober now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness